Universal Percussion and Ronn Dunnett

Status
Not open for further replies.

mraley

Just received an email stating that the dispute between Ronn Dunnett and Universal Percussion over the Spizz cymbals is over. Guess both sides have "made up". Never thought I would see this. I guess Steve Maxwell is now carrying them in his stores.

Can you state the source of this email or is this more unfounded rumor destined to cause issues?

My source was an email from Universal Percussion with a letter from Ronn Dunnett - if I may I could copy it on the site. But I do not want people start their crap again...

My source was an email from Universal Percussion with a letter from Ronn Dunnett - if I may I could copy it on the site. But I do not want people start their crap again...

Personally, when I want to talk shit, I call the gangster party line.

No disrespect to drummerworld, but this forum just doesn't even come close to fulfilling my needs when it comes to shit-talking.

That was exactly my reason for asking. I don't wan't a repeat of the last fiasco. Thanks

That was exactly my reason for asking. I don't wan't a repeat of the last fiasco. Thanks

I wouldn't have called the last thread a fiasco. People voiced opinions and questions were asked, but it never got offensive or openly disrespectful.

I wouldn't have called the last thread a fiasco. People voiced opinions and questions were asked, but it never got offensive or openly disrespectful.

I do know other forums got really crazy about this when it first came out - I made a few comments/opinions and wham they had me pinned as an insider and I worked for Universal Percussion and then the crap started flying.

My feeling on this whole Spizz thing is you either buy them or you don't!!

Yes this is the same letter but there was a letter from Tom Shelley of Universal Percussion.

I guess that you mean this one?

"Dear Mr. Dunnett,

Thank you for your kind letter. Your apology is accepted with many thanks.

This means that today (March 26, 2017) we have ended our conflict (from both sides). I want to confirm that from this day forward I have no intention of doing anything that may cause your business any problems in the future. Accordingly, the entire percussion industry can see that there will no longer be "bad blood" between us.

I believe this is a win-win for everyone. You can feel free to sell your products in all markets around the world, and my dealers can buy and sell Spizz 2016 cymbals without having to worry about future bad press.

As both of us have pointed out, the hand hammered Spizz cymbals of 2016 are not-and never were-related to the ones Roberto Spizzichino made in Italy. But they
are the only B25 cymbals made in Turkey. To my ear they may be the greatest cymbals ever made.
Tom Shelley (President) and Jerry Donegan (V.P. of International Sales) will display the entire line of Spizz cymbals at the Frankfurt Music Fair from April 4th. to April 7th. See us in hall 11.0 Booth # E 18. Or see and hear each cymbal at: www.spizzcymbals.com

Universal Percussion welcomes Steve Maxwell as the exclusive dealer of Spizz Cymbals in NYC and Chicago, Ill. Drummer from the east coast and mid west can see and hear the entire line of Spizz cymbals at either of Steve's famous drum shops! Call us at: 330 482-5750 for the complete list of stocking Spizz dealers around the world!

Since the launch of Spizz cymbals on September 29th, 2016 I have come to realize that, in the long run, you were actually instrumental in resolving all the issues surrounding that launch, and in ultimately making all parties happy. It is clear that from the outset you did not have all of the information regarding my efforts, including the fact that I had approval from Louise Spizzichino to use the "Spizz" name on our cymbals. Her specific request was for me not to connect Roberto's name to those cymbals. After speaking with her, I immediately changed all of my promotional copy and added a disclaimer that made it clear that the Spizz cymbals of 2016 are not related to the cymbals that Roberto made. In this way, the wishes of his family were fulfilled, and his legacy as a cymbal artisan will live on forever.

Over the seven months in which you and I were engaged in the dispute over the Spizz launch, it was never my intention to attempt to extort money from you, or to prevent you from conducting your own business. My position was based on the need to protect my personal business integrity, as well as to protect the Spizz brand as Universal Percussion's intellectual property. I'm from the "old school" of doing business, in which a handshake is as good as a signed contract. And, as you said, the percussion industry is very small. I am very happy to have been able to resolve our differences so both of us can get back to doing business. What I hope we'll leave behind for others to remember is that it's our core principles that make us who we are.

Retractions: In an earlier article I need to amend that the Rogers Drums made by Yamaha were made in Taiwan...not China. Sorry Dave Jewel and the entire Yamaha percussion staff.

Special apology for misspelling (Ronn Dunnett),,,sorry Ronn this was a typo.

Sincerely,
Tom Shelley
Founded in 1976"

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com
http://www.patentcoachmike.com
http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.facebook.com/mike.mccraw
http://www.linkedin.com/in/mikemccraw
http://twitter.com/mikemccraw

Nice to see. What a bizarre exchange, and weirder yet to land here on DW. I learned a few things about business in small circles like drums and cymbals. But I am still left to wonder if George Way's heirs benefit from his namesake in any way.

It landed here because some of the rumor happy folks can't leave well enough alone and let the players work out the issues.

I have been made aware that there are some questions with regard to the George Way drum company and I think it is appropriate to respond with facts in the hopes that they may clarify some "misunderstandings" be those intentional or accidental.

It has been 10 years since I purchased the intellectual property of George H. Way. I purchased all of the rights and marks to the George Way brand from E. H. McNease. Mr. McNease purchased that IP from Bob Kane. Mr. Kane purchased the IP from George Way. I have all of the documentation of the transaction.

I think it should be fairly obvious to any reasonable person that even if George had any heirs - which he does not- that any entitlements were sold off by George. In the same way the Bill Ludwig III has no entitlements to the Ludwig brand, any Way hiers - if there were any - would not be entitled to anything.

To suggest that I do not own the George H. Way IP and trademarks or to suggest that I acquire those rights illegitimately or to suggest that I am in some way "ripping off" George's heirs (George and Elsie had no children and George was disavowed by his family) is simply not true. Further to this, to publish any such claim represents an actionable defamation.

I may be a lot of things, but one thing I do not engage in is denying credit where it is due. I conduct myself and my business with honesty, fairness and integrity. One does not earn or enjoy the deep friend / partnerships and credibility with artists and dealers that I do in this industry by going around f_______ people over and I am not afraid to speak truth to power.

I have read some of the rumor and innuendo that has been published with regard to other matters involving the George Way brand and frankly none of what I have read has any basis in truth or fact. I am always happy to provide official clarification when it is appropriate.

With regard to my apology, suffice it to say that it was carefully crafted and sincere. It says what it says and it doesn't say what it doesn't say. I am happy the matters between myself and Mr. Shelley were settled amicably. I am far too busy to dedicate any bandwidth to any litigation (suit or countersuit) - at least in this case.

As for the position of the Spizzichino estate in all this - all that takes is a simple search of their Facebook page. My opinions have no bearing on those circumstances and I have nothing more to say about that publicly other than to confirm that Roberto was a dear friend who I loved, respected and admired deeply.

Last edited:
Thank you Sir for the explanation and clarification. Let's hope this puts to rest any further attempts at rumor in the drumming world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back