Most Under-rated Drummers

Stu_Strib said:
As for Tori, well, I guess I'm not the right demographic, because I don't get anything she's singing. Like you said, she's got a good voice, but her songs might as well be in Swedish, because I have no clue what's going on! It reminds me of Jewel, but without the radio-friendly edge to it.
I can tell it's not Swedish... hehehehehe I would understand the lyrics a bit better, though I'm not Swedish either!
But I must say that I like her music pretty much. Weird things going on in her songs. And of course... Chamberlain is just great! He grooves, and his live sound is just too much!!

I'm kind of partial to Adam Topol of Jack Johnson's band. He plays a lot of similar stuff but always manages to spice it up just a bit to make it interesting. I also love his sounds; dark and warm and pleasant to listen to. Oh, and Will Champion completely. If Dave Grohl says you're a great drummer- well, then you've got something, haven't you?!

cheers.

Well my last "most under-rated drummer" (Sean Rickman) is now up on the DW site...Let's try and go 2 for 2...

Pete Drummond is INSANE! I've recently been checking out his stuff, and good god can he play...

Here are some cool examples from his site...petedrummond.com

http://www.petedrummond.com/sounds/SOUND_Groove.mp3
http://www.petedrummond.com/sounds/SOUND_Solo1.mp3
http://www.petedrummond.com/sounds/SOUND_Solo2.mp3

this other example is a totally different style from the first...It's like Mike Portnoy on steroids...
http://www.petedrummond.com/sounds/SOUND_On.mp3

What's up with Australia? There must be something in the water down there because they sure do spawn some amazing drummers...

mikkeydee said:
Mike Portnoy is often mentioned on those "MOST OVERRATED" topics. He has a fame coming from DT, for his "easily understandable, mimicable progressive grooves and fills" among young drummers.
MP's forum has always been the hottest among drummers' personal website, why is he underrated?

For phil selway, I really have something to say.
I used to be a fanatic for radiohead. But i found that phil is just lucky to get his bread and butter for playing for Radiohead. His skills really does not match his position:
Reasons:
1.Listen to his songs just like "creep" or something, he plays the hihat sooo "stiff" that even sounds like a drum program, rather than a real human drummer playing... obviously that's what a studio newbie doing when being nervous and afraid to make mistakes.
2. on one of their 2 disk live album, i already forgot name. before a song, he plays a stick click 1-2-3-4 to set a tempo. Very easy to tell he started too fast and just slowed down at 3-4. Poor feel for tempo.
3.same albume, the live version "just" ..... holly sh!t that was a mess... poor control
4. have u ever listen to their studio version "just"? pretty cool song, i love it.
however, phil once in an interview said "just" was a song that brings him to the "top" in recording.... compared to other songs, yes, "just" is a bit more complicated. but everyone believes for ANY studio/session drummers that can be a true piece of cake. But in this track u can also feel that phil has less confident to play it with more "moving dynamics". Just another programmed machine, very nervous to "catch up" the song not to screw it up.

Why phil stays unnoticed? Becos he know as a drummer of his level, that he is already lucky enough to tour on a world level, sell millions of records.

Have you ever thought it is perhapse any kind of "own style"?
But his unmoveable face with the closed eyes during the whole song (whatever he plays)... well he is the robot... but well closed and very sensible to what he actually does.

Lester Estelle is a good drummer.(He's from the band Pillar)

Re: Underrated Drummers

ElvinBaRkerDennis13 said:
i was just thinkin about mick fleetwood being not necessarily underrated, but maybe just not heard of really, he is a tremendous drummer, plays exactly what the song needs, just no one maybe listens to enough mac? i dunno, i love them though. nick masoin must be underrated though...who does he drum for?
tj
I Looooooove mick fleetwood!!!

Jacek Olter. Great Polish drummer. He had many interesting musical ideas, and pretty sweet groove. Died tragically, but left some great recordings of his rhythms, which were used to resurrect him last year on "OLTER" cd/dvd.

I would recommend it to you, although it's maybe not the type of music which suits everyone's taste (if there ever was one:)).

Brad Wilk is the drummer for Audioslave (and Rage Against the Machine).
He is great although I personally like his style in Rage better.

fullmoon said:
the drummer from chevelle is highly under-rated check out his stuff on their first album it was amazing

i agree! Also the drummer form Living Sacrifice, very creative.

Re: Underrated Drummers

46and2 said:
Martin Lopez of Opeth for sure. He is phenominal and not many people are aware of the skills that he hones.

Yes, He is an amazing drummer... one of my favourites as well actually...
Anyone who is not afraid of a bit of growling should listens to the drumming on: Still Life (album)

(He's left Opeth now though)

Re: Most underrated drummer

I'm sure the topic of "underrated/overlooked" has come up before but it's sometimes nice to revive an old topic and get some fresh perspectives. The mention of Harold Jones got my attention. I was fortunate to see Harold play with the Count on several occasions and he was terrific. He had an interesting habit of kind of snapping his head to one side when he hit a big accent that looked really cool. I think I'll also add one of my drum heros Roy McCurdy who played with Cannonball Adderly after the quintessential Louis Hayes.

heres a couple

Chriss Pennie - the dillinger escape plan
J.P - Clutch
Dan Ford - Sikth

Even if these guys are famous and renowned, they seem to be acknowledged by the drumming community less than they should OR for the wrong reasons.

Dannie Richmond- His playing was always exhilerating... incredible versaitily, very uncommon, specially at the time he did most of his sessions... he's still around and nobody talks about him that much... guys with FAR LESS contributions are more recognized than him.

Billy Higgins-As a drummer, composer and band leader his work was always tasteful and top notch technically... he did was involved in so much groundbreaking music in jazz finest hours... yet his passing went almost unnoticed.

Chad Wackerman-ask anyone about guys on the chair with Zappa and immediately Terry and Vinny come up... yet it is Wackerman who held the post the longest... somehow he's become typecasted as a"zappa drummer"... man, he did that so many years ago, and there is this young guy with amazing talent that has continued to grow, and he is somehow noticed just as a clinician and endorser of products with the "Frank Zappa" tag next to him... he is amazing, he should be everywhere.

Others I have always felt have not been as recognized as they should:

Levon Helm
Chester Thompson

I second some of the guys previously listed

Joey Kramer - Tasty, Groovy, Great Chops to when he lets loose

Levon Helm - A lot of soul in his playing. Very "Deep" Drumming

Steve Jordan - So funky and loose.

Art Taylor - RIP. Great jazz drummer. Listen to his playing on the 'Giant Steps' record.

Robbie McIntosh - RIP AWB first drummer. Check out his playing on You Tube videos. I was impressed how light and funky his playing was.

Chester Thompson - Although he is mostly know for his work with Phil Collins and Genesis, please check out his playing on Zappa's 'One Size Fits All' record. He is awesome!

I second the Joey Kramer vote. Although its possible that I just missed all his attention seeing as I was born in 1989.

actually its a bit oxymoronic .... though many names of drummers "who i like but you don't" are coming to my mind .. but the fact that I know about them staying in their opposite corner of the world actually makes them sort of something more favorable than categorising them "most underrated" ............

I would actually talk about my drum teacher of being underrated ... he is amazing but he is not even talked about outside my city.

btw .. whats all the Ringo bashing all about ?? .... am sure there were some reasons more than "brotherhood" to keep him in the band .... am guessing John Lennon and Paul had better credibility and musical sense then some so called posters in this forum to make a judgement about the time keeper of a professional and monetarily rich (read money) band ....

Just about all the Studio Drummers in the world are underated...and my hats off to them for their humble success....not many realizes all the hard work, schooling & hours they put in to get were they are to become successful studio players. The most difficult job a drummer can have.

Every session requires them to feel differant styles & grooves & read charts off the cuff... chart reading alone is an art form that only a small dedicated percentage of drummers can & will persue to ace the course because of its difficulty, then not to mention your recording a record with musicians you only met an hour ago...

Studio time is very expensive so you better really know your stuff...For example, drummers such as Harvey Mason have recorded on as many as over 200+ records to name one of the best studio drummers in the world... he has been on covers of major Drum Mags ect..and is recognized... but I still think he among all the other studio musicians are without a doubt the most underated drummers in the world...

You all have a Great day,,,,Lee

That talent

Back