What are your drumming goals for this year?

My goal is to get people up dancing to not only my band's covers, but also our own songs that people wouldn't of heard before! If they are up dancing, I'll know I'm doing something right!

To stop saying "you go girl" to myself so much.

That is my goal as well. :)

Actually, I'd be very happy doing exactly what I've been doing: playing full time, making a nice living, and still enjoying it all.

Bermuda

To grow as a musician as much as I possibly can....to be asked back on the highest profile
gigs too!

This year I'm working on stickings and patterns. I've never paid attention to them, and now I figure it's time to open that can of worms. My practice pad and a pair of sticks are set up in my office now, where I can get some work done whenever I need a break from college, first job, or second job.

My goal is to get picked up by a national act so I can stop doing electrical work. Also to lead my 6 piece band to victory so we can compete in Memphis next year at the International Blues Challenge.

Make sure to stay "grounded" Larry- haha

Not unlike Larry, to absolutely change my career title to Musician. To quit my day job in 2013, even if the two week notice isn't turned in 'til Dec 16th!
And to be more a part of the forum this year.
And good luck everyone with your goals!

to speed up rudiments and use them in a natural way around the kit without even thinking about them.

For me its just to try to start playing music with more people. I joined a meet up group where thats what we do bi-weekly is have jams. Started using Stick Control, concentrate on a few fills I really want to learn and finally start learning some different grooves! Its kind of tough with a job and being a full time student. I really have to concentrate on a few things everyday for an hour if I can.....

My goal is two-fold...

1. Continue my goal of recording at least one transcribed solo from each one of my hero's. I'll never sound nor play like them and no one knows that fact better more than me. I'll just continue to enjoy the experience.

2. Live by this motto. Just substitute the word "swinging" for your own genre and the motto still applies...

"Knowing where you are in the music at all times, and generating a swinging time feel, is what it’s all about. Do not imagine that you have come the change the course of music and that your time is beyond question. Continually investigate your time and feeling. The polishing of the time should be like that of the polishing of the heart – to a state of purity. The endeavor is an endless one."

Jim Blackley
Syncopated Rolls for the Modern Drummer
Page 56

1. Continue my goal of recording at least one transcribed solo from each one of my hero's. I'll never sound nor play like them and no one knows that fact better more than me. I'll just continue to enjoy the experience.

I think this is great, just fantastic. If we think of those solos as stories, expressions of life and living at certain places in time, taking the time to transcribe and perform them is a really beautiful endeavor.

And, I dig the Blackwell quote as well.

That is my goal as well. :)

Actually, I'd be very happy doing exactly what I've been doing: playing full time, making a nice living, and still enjoying it all.

Bermuda

Lol living the dream huh bermuda!? We're all jealous no doubt! My $75 last weekend surely can't compare to your last summer! You're awesome :) thank you all for giving me something to live up to!! Much respect to you all!

My goals? I want to expand my career. I want to be a better teacher. I keep learning everyday. My youngest student is three (he read a complete page today) and my eldest is seventy two.
I care about my students. I have them as my priority. Gigging is not as attractive. Where I live, one kind of music is available to play. And I am over it. I have taken to finding drummers for bands who asked me to join. I need to charge a fee!
I bought yet another book today. I wish to complete it.

I want a new kit. I want a high end Sonor. I could probably get an endorsement, but I don't want to play one manufacturer.

I plan to learn gamelan music. The teacher I want just moved to London!!!

My open handed playing is now my main thing, and I am told my swing with the left hand sounds just like the right.

Basically I want to keep doing what I have been doing. I am a professional drummer. That was always my goal. Yay, I am there. Not that exciting really, until a three year old reads a page of music and his father nearly cries. Kind of special.

My life is great. My health not so much. But that is fine. One takes the good with the bad. :)

Wow, that is just all kinds of cool. Sounds like a very moving experience.

Yeah, it was astounding. And it just happened. I usually point to the notes. But what took place was this; using colored markers, the boy colored in the hi hat snare and kick. He then simply sat down and played all the notes he had colored in. He did not make a single mistake. He got to the end of the page and I looked at his amazed father...

Kind of special doesn't really capture the emotion.

I have professionals who are students. I have tiny beginners yet to attend kindergarden. I just want to share the wonders of drumming and music with people. I love music so deeply. I love drums and percussion and those who play it. I am in love with the joy I see in the eyes of a student who finally gets it. I wait with baited breath as I see the goal achieved, the exercise mastered. I am litterally on the edge of my seat, and I applaud with happiness when the student makes it. I was never to be a famous drummer, I was always there to help others. Through this I even now get a mention over at Paiste via a pro student. I could never get that recognition by myself.

As I said, I am happy. I even learned that book I bought yesterday. Not a hard book. Just interesting.

Oh and by the way, pick up a copy of the Chris Botti in Boston DVD. Billy Kilson on drums. But what is more is the respect and love of music that shines through. And Yo Yo Ma. Wow, Yo Yo Ma!!!

Yeah mate. In my mind I have never been good enough to deserve it.

So strange, recently I checked out an old hero only to find I can understand completely totay what I worshipped as a young man. I could matc him note for note? Wow! So amazed.

To be honest, I prefer that ignorance because it had a sense of wonder. Understanding is great, but it removes the mystery. I enjoyed that mystery. Knowledge has become "functional". Perhaps not using it creatively is what hinders me? I do not know. Whatever the case, I love music and drumming and I feel happy and secure. I have the respect of drummers I admire. That is enough for this very little person on the sidelines. :)

Yeah mate. In my mind I have never been good enough to deserve it.
& isn't it a shame that insecurity in decisions holds us back more than just about any other aspect of our "being a drummer" :(

Although studying the greats is pushed as a prerequisite for true advancement, I'm convinced it can equally establish a barrier that prevents true progression. Sometimes, blissful ignorance spawns success.

Back