State your unpopular drumming opinions

Modern Ludwig drums aren't that great.

Zildjian released more bad cymbals than good in the past 30 years.

Sabian's rebranding is a blip, if you don't like it, you're too old ;P

I think Keith Moon was a great drummer.

Made in the USA ain't all it's cracked up to be.

There is no such animal when talking about the "the best" drummer.

I'll play matched grip and you'll have to deal with it.

Some people are great rock drummers and some are great at jazz. One isn't necessarily better than the other. Very few people are great at both.

Most high end drums don't require double ply heads to sound good.

Pearl tom mounts look like my shower head.

I think Alpi veneers look great and they're easier to match when adding on drums.

I hate hardware from the 60's/70's

I could easily get by with a Gretsch Renown as my only kit.

Being completely self-taught is a waste of time.

I guess I need to go tell the four bands I'm currently playing in that I'm actually self-taught and that I just wasted my time. ;)

To be honest, I would have loved to have had drum lessons. Even after 25 years of playing, I'd love to go over some stuff with some pros.

(I don't like Rush either)

We should hang out.

Roland V drums sound and feel like real drums.

I feel like I'm playing a full set of snare drums. V Drums CAN sound good, but the amount of "dialing in" that has to happen in order for the drums to be suited to just one player takes too much time. In addition, this does no good if you play a wide variety of music.

Ok, I'm going to throw a big flame out there:

Nickelback is not a bad band. They just play bad songs.

Ok, I'm going to throw a big flame out there:

Nickelback is not a bad band. They just play bad songs.

I agree maybe commercialized.
Nickel backs 1st album was actually raw and thirsty. It’s when they hit it big and became “rockstars” that the let down or backlash phase ensued, with them unfortunately, it just stuck.

People telling that you need to do something this or that way or you should not use this or that product.
If it works for you, what's the problem?

As in the bass world the sound guy will destroy and make null and void the tons of cash you invested in your kit.

As in the bass world the sound guy will destroy and make null and void the tons of cash you invested in your kit.

Unpopular but true. Always enjoy only hearing loud hi hats and nothing else.

Unpopular but true. Always enjoy only hearing loud hi hats and nothing else.

I wonder how many of us could get away with mixing our own and feeding it to the sound guy like Weckl does. You can't possible tell me it'd be worse? Well, maybe no volume at all, so no hi hats either?

I forgot one. Rogers drums are HIGHLY overrated. Only rich kids had them in the 60's. I can make almost any decent kit sound as good or better than any Rogers kit.

I forgot one. Rogers drums are HIGHLY overrated. Only rich kids had them in the 60's. I can make almost any decent kit sound as good or better than any Rogers kit.

Tell that to Steve Maxwell...

What if it enables you to practice for longer than you otherwise would be able to because of back pain?

Yup, anything but overrated! I even upgraded the one on my practice pad set, because I couldn’t sit more than 20 minutes with the old cheapo!

Yup, anything but overrated! I even upgraded the one on my practice pad set, because I couldn’t sit more than 20 minutes with the old cheapo!

AH: Which drum seat did you have at first and which one did you upgrade to that's improved your sitting time?

Back