I saw "Bohemian Rhapsody"

That's a bit of a cheap shot isn't it? It's a movie, and it's all make believe. There are grounds to criticise Rami Malek's performance, and debate whether it was Oscar-worthy. Personally, I don't believe it was, but the fact that he lip-synch'd is not an issue.

...in other breaking news...word has just come in that Harrison Ford only pretended to be piloting the Millennium Falcon.

No it was meant to be a joke-I do that a lot but I think people miss my humor. So it goes.

I utterly love Bohemian Rhapsody.

It's one of the very few movies that has truly "moved" me.

Rami Malek won the Oscar for good reason.

1) he had to wear prosthetic teeth.
2) he had to adopt a British accent.
3) he had to adopt mannerisms of a different person.
4) he had to "become" one of the greatest frontmen of all time.

I think the movie was well done.

The movie was cast very well, the actors were believable and genuine.

It was just a great movie about an iconic great band. It would have been a risky topic with a lot riding in it.

In my opinion, Mr Mercury would be a very difficult singer to imitate......

Yep it's sort a like after you've read a book the movie depiction is almost always different and often a disappointment. If you know the real story then things about the movie "bug you". But it is just a movie and was overall enjoyable.
There was a Christian movie that came out a number of years ago starring Greg Kinear called "Heaven Is For Real" that was based on the best-selling Christian book by the same name.

I had a hard time with that movie because I know the guy who wrote the book, and most of it takes place in my small SW Nebraska hometown of Imperial. Knowing how much Hollywood took "artistic license" with that movie, if we apply the same amount to any movie that is based on a true story, most movies are going to be a good bit inaccurate.

I enjoyed watching BR, but the way they deal with Freddie's sexual orientation is all wrong: they look at the issue from a 2018 perspective, when public figures talking openly about being gay is no big deal. This was not so in Freddie's days, unfortunately.

Watching the movie someone might think Freddie was an outspoken gay rights advocate. He was not. He could not afford to go public, the taboo was still too strong.

I’m glad this thread resurfaced today - it inspired me to go watch the movie tnis evening. One cinema in my city is still showing it, and it closes tomorrow! Just made it.

Enjoyed the movie, and can see both sides of the changes that were made to the original story. Brought back some great memories.

Thanks for starting this thread last year, Larry..

My wife and I just watched this a few days ago. It has pretty much ruined Queen for me. Now when I think about or hear a Queen song, all I can think about is what a self-centered, ego manical control freak douche Freddy Mercury was. Presenting the human side of the band has destroyed the legendary status I once held them in. While the movie was good, I wish I hadn't watched it. Makes me question as to whether or not I want to see Rocketman now.

My wife and I just watched this a few days ago. It has pretty much ruined Queen for me. Now when I think about or hear a Queen song, all I can think about is what a self-centered, ego manical control freak douche Freddy Mercury was. Presenting the human side of the band has destroyed the legendary status I once held them in. While the movie was good, I wish I hadn't watched it. Makes me question as to whether or not I want to see Rocketman now.

It's always a risk when an entity becomes personified. Prince, Michael Jackson, Freddy Mercury were larger than life characters.....yet they burped, farted and went to the toilet like all of us. They probably had bad breath at times and had boogers too.

The thing that ruins a lot of the images we create about famous people is the reality......they had their own set of unique foibles. These idols we create are surrounded by "Yes" men and women, so they can develop into some unsavory characters. But sometimes, eventually.....they grow up.

It's always a risk when an entity becomes personified. Prince, Michael Jackson, Freddy Mercury were larger than life characters.....yet they burped, farted and went to the toilet like all of us. They probably had bad breath at times and had boogers too.

The thing that ruins a lot of the images we create about famous people is the reality......they had their own set of unique foibles. These idols we create are surrounded by "Yes" men and women, so they can develop into some unsavory characters. But sometimes, eventually.....they grow up.

Agreed. I suppose if the members of Queen were all just normal, nice guys the movie would be an utter drag.

My problem is, and it's mine not Freddy's, is I have no tolerance for people who don't act right. He had the absolute right to act anyway he wanted. I just don't agree with how he was portrayed to conduct himself. That's what ruined it all for me.

Agreed. I suppose if the members of Queen were all just normal, nice guys the movie would be an utter drag.

My problem is, and it's mine not Freddy's, is I have no tolerance for people who don't act right. He had the absolute right to act anyway he wanted. I just don't agree with how he was portrayed to conduct himself. That's what ruined it all for me.

Do you have the same reservations now in regards to Rocketman?

I guess there is the element of "disappointment" with how he will be portrayed.

I guess it will be a clash of our preconceived opinions of him vs what we will be met with on screen.

I think the subject matter is what will prevent me from seeing Rocketman.

I don't like his music at all.

I've seen him on various talk shows and interviews, the guy doesn't appeal to me one bit.

So it's a relatively easy choice for me.

So MrInsanePolack,......how different will you approach Rocketman, assuming you do actually see it?

Do you have the same reservations now in regards to Rocketman?

I guess there is the element of "disappointment" with how he will be portrayed.

I guess it will be a clash of our preconceived opinions of him vs what we will be met with on screen.

I think the subject matter is what will prevent me from seeing Rocketman.

I don't like his music at all.

I've seen him on various talk shows and interviews, the guy doesn't appeal to me one bit.

So it's a relatively easy choice for me.

So MrInsanePolack,......how different will you approach Rocketman, assuming you do actually see it?

Well, I like Elton John's music. I also know he had quite an issue with alcohol at one point during his career. Alcoholics can be funny, or completely irritating and unwarranted. So I dunno. I will probably see it when it's released on DVD, and only then will I know if my opinion changes. My approach will be the same, I hope to see a good movie. What I'm really hoping for is more of an interaction between Elton John and Bernie Taupin and how their relationship created the music, not a biopic of someone with issues.

As an aside, the sexuality of people doesn't affect me at all. In no way was that an issue in Bohemian Rhapsody, nor will it be in Rocketman. It s how the person conducts themselves and treats other people that bother me.

As an aside, the sexuality of people doesn't affect me at all. In no way was that an issue in Bohemian Rhapsody, nor will it be in Rocketman. It s how the person conducts themselves and treats other people that bother me.

Agreed.......absolutely 100%

Your metalhead licence is hereby revoked! (Oh that's right- it's not the 80's anymore) : )

Elton came way before metal in my musical up bringing, my mom is a HUGE fan. I knew his music before I even knew his name!

My musical catalogue would confuse the hell out of most people.

Elton came way before metal in my musical up bringing, my mom is a HUGE fan. I knew his music before I even knew his name!

My musical catalogue would confuse the hell out of most people.

Yeah, I've got nothing against old Elton and will probably go see the movie.

The Madonna movie (supposedly next on the agenda) may be a different story...

Back