How can I break up a post that I'm quoting?

beatdat

I notice in some replies that some members break up longer posts when quoting them, and reply just below each part of the post they're quoting.

Sometimes it's done within the entire posts using different fonts or colours, but that looks messy and is not what I'm referring to.

I'm referring to where the post is broken up into different parts with an incomplete border around each part, the quoter's replies are in standard format, and the username of the person being quoted is shown before every part of the post where it's been broken.

Any idea how that's done?

I notice in some replies that some members break up longer posts when quoting them, and reply just below each part of the post they're quoting.

Sometimes it's done within the entire posts using different fonts or colours, but that looks messy and is not what I'm referring to.

I'm referring to where the post is broken up into different parts with an incomplete border around each part, the quoter's replies are in standard format, and the username of the person being quoted is shown before every part of the post where it's been broken.

Next to the "Quote" button is a "Multi-quote" button. Click on all the multi-quotes and quote the last one.

In your response you want to put "tags", please note that instead of { } you'll in reality need to use brackets [ ], as you see when you do it now.

{quote}Something someone said{/quote}
response to that part

{quote}Something else they said{/quote}
response to the second thing.

And so forth. Remember to use the brackets. You can attribute a single quote set to someone like so:
{quote="Chad Smith"}Grace notes are super groovy{/quote}
I also like grace notes!

And so forth. Anything you enclose in the quote tags is a single quote.

Next to the "Quote" button is a "Multi-quote" button. Click on all the multi-quotes and quote the last one.

Thanks, alparrott, but I had figured out how to multi-quote shortly after I joined this site. What I was asking in this thread is what Dr_Watso answered, in case you're curious to know.

In your response you want to put "tags", please note that instead of { } you'll in reality need to use brackets [ ], as you see when you do it now.

That's it, thanks!

{quote}Something someone said{/quote}
response to that part

{quote}Something else they said{/quote}
response to the second thing.

And so forth. Remember to use the brackets. You can attribute a single quote set to someone like so:
{quote="Chad Smith"}Grace notes are super groovy{/quote}
I also like grace notes!

And so forth. Anything you enclose in the quote tags is a single quote.

It's a bit more effort than I was expecting (a shortcut or icon to click would make it easier), but, what the heck, it works.

Do you know how to copy and paste?

Just highlight the 'quote' at the beginning of the post and paste it wherever you want the new quote to start.

Do the same for the end 'quote'.

It's a lot quicker that way.

Lets see only after 11 years was I informed of the quote button-now a year later -there is a mulitquote button? I can't believe it-my age group heralded the technological advances of today. Getting biology degrees I took three computer languages (the first programs on punch cards-so back when Dinos roamed the earth) to write my own crappy programs to run physiographs and what not. Now real programers and new technologies have transformed everything-what took me months to do now in minutes. I'm computer illiterate now dammit.

Last edited:
Lets see only after 11 years was I informed of the quote button-now a year later -there is a mulitquote button? I can't believe it-my age group heralded the technological advances of today. Getting biology degrees I took three computer languages (the first programs on punch cards-so back when Dinos roamed the earth) to write my own crappy programs to run physiographs and what not. Now real programers and new technologies have transformed everything-what took me months to do now in minutes. I'm computer illiterate now dammit.

I feel your pain. Back in the dark ages, I tried to take a course in Fortran.
The instructor just wanted to talk about his time in the government calculating missile trajectories.
I think he was really burnt out.
I ended up dropping the class, but it pretty much turned me off to ever wanting anything to do with programming.

Last edited:
All it takes is some basic understanding of how quote tags work. That, or using the "quote" button on the tool bar.

How can I break up a post that Im quoting

Help needed. I was put up a post and posted the wrong link on it? how can i delete the post? I dont want to get banned

Back