Naming Your Kit

Anybody do this?

My wife names everything, cars, instruments, everything. I only name pets. I will say though, I seem to like the idea that my kit is female. Don't know why, but it definitely isn't a dude!

If you do name your kit, do tell, what's it's name?

I can't say that I ever have named my baby, but from now on she will be known as "Fort Knocks".

My Renown............................

Attachments

• DSC00135.JPG
    DSC00135.JPG
    191 KB · Views: 226
My snares all had names for awhile, matching female names in Archie comics. My black-on-brass was Veronica, my aluminum was Betty, my Mapex Sledgehammer was Cherry Blossom, my 12" maple snare was Midge, and the old ugly second-hand steel player's snare was Mrs. Grundy. I gave my Guru snare a name but I can't remember it for the life of me right this second. (EDIT: Just remembered: I got the Guru just in time for opening night when I played "Little Shop of Horrors" last fall, so she is named Audrey, of course.)

My Standards are my Standards, and they've become my standards.

The only other piece of gear for which I think I have a name is the laptop I use in my rehearsal space. It's old, has had the hard disk replaced, takes forever to power up, drops off sound unpredictably, and just keeps getting slower and slower. Its name is This Utter Piece of $#!%.

Last edited:
I have a set of walnut segmented drums I call Yolanda, named after Yolanda Charles, the great bassist.

I wonder if she finds that creepy lol. I dont, ur aces with me kid. If a lady named her instrument after me Id be siked.

I call my Gretsch kit "My Gretsch Kit" and I call my Yamaha kit "My Yamaha Kit".

I wonder if she finds that creepy lol. I dont, ur aces with me kid. If a lady named her instrument after me Id be siked.

I actually got permission from Yolanda via Andy.

My old gigging Pearl Export of many years was called "Stinker"

Oh well then you have at it with all the guilt free Yolanda banging you like! You aint making music til that stick touches skin.

Wait, I thought I was joking that you sounded creepy, I just grossed myself out

Uh oh, heres comes Grunt up my walkway towards my door.....man thats a big hammer he's carrying, wonder whats up...

Until now I didn't use the name that I gave my red-blue sparkle Saturns, which is Magenta, in honour (and with the knowledge of) a not-recently-seen-around here DW member.

But now that I have acquired another kit, I need a simple way to distinguish the two kits.

The new kit is what PDP describe as (light blue) onyx, but to my eyes looks like mother of pearl, so that kit shall henceforth be known as Shelley.

"First Wife" as I was married to my drums LONG before I met her. She's oddly ok with it too. :-D

"Poundmobile"

The kit i use with the instrumental progband (well, guitarplayer and me, so not a real band haha) i call The Poundmobile. We have a heavy song called 'Pounding Rain' and from that we got the term 'pounding', which is what we call rehearsing and playing our songs. Just because it sounds more heavy and the obvious undertones it has haha. So because of that i call my Masters BCX kit the Poundmobile.

The converted acoustic to electric kit i use at home is simply called "the kit at home" hehe

They say you shouldn't name a pet you are going to kill and eat. Just saying....

Back