Why don't more matched grip drummers play open grip?

martianmambo

Matched grip is easier to use than traditional grip (disclaimer: I play traditional, but I started matched) and it's easier in general to move around the kit with it. So, what's the deal? Why don't more matched grip drummers play open-handed? Why stick to the traditional crossed-hand approach instead of fully utilizing matched grip?

I am mixed. I play matched grip. I have a left ride and a right ride. They mainly get played with the corresponding hand, although I will play the left ride with my right hand. I lead my hats mostly with my right hand, but will sometimes use my left. I have a floor tom on the right and a 12" tom in a stand on the left. I will play both with either hand. So basically I play "normally", with some open handedness.

It wouldn't really make for a nice stereo recording if all the high end pings and tings were coming from only one side.

It's also a shoulder stability thing. If open handed, you will naturally be prone to shoulder eversion and abduction, which is not as stable as the opposite, playing cross hand.

I give up, why :)

People learn a way that works for them. I use it when it makes sense to do so, rather than contort. The way I learned...I can do it without thinking about it pretty much. I have to think more with open because I didn't learn like that.

I agree that open handed is most useful, and worthwhile to incorporate into playing.

Just a thought, if everyone used a remote hi hat right next to the ride cymbal, this wouldn't even be an issue. But then 2 handed 16ths might not be as easy.

There's always concessions to consider.

A possible explanation is because the majority started off letting the setup of the kit determine the approach they initially took to how they would play the instrument.
In other words- how many of us before deciding on which grip (trad. or matched) which approach (crossed or open) to use, sat down at a kit and said to ourselves... "well it's set up this way so I guess I'm supposed to adapt to it."
I'd venture to guess almost all of us did instead of saying...'wait a minute that doesn't feel right, I should try a Bill Bruford arrangement like a timpanist or maybe even something as personalized as Trilok Gurtu's setup.'

I'd agree hand dominance are probably the key factors as well as a teacher's influence. Just a thought.

I always played traditional when I first started and then had a 30 year layoff, and when I started again I tried matched, and it worked, and now find myself playing both ways without even thinking about it.

Last edited:
I think we mostly do what we are taught and see others so.

I play mostly traditional and cross, but the main way I've worked on my matched grip is to set up my practice kit left handed. Because of how I feel behind the kit I definetly believe in nurture over nature. I even naturally lead with my left foot when I walk these days. lol

I do both crossed and open handed with both. Some things are more developed the traditional way, but the difference gets less and less all the time.

Last edited:
When I drop my arms bent at the elbow they naturally fall into a matched grip, right stick to the hats, left stick to the snare position. To me that is the relaxed placement for my arms. To play open handed Id need to pull my elbows way back into an unnatural position for my body or sit further back than Im comfortable.

I mostly play matched but occasionally play traditional except with my right hand leading. I've been practicing playing open-handed and found that reverse traditional grip to be helpful sometimes. But it's important to be comfortable.

There's no connection between matched grip and 'open handed' drumming, except it's harder to do it with traditional grip. I wrote some comments about it here. Basically, I think it's kind of stupid to relearn all your stuff backwards just to play the hihat, when you can just pivot your right arm a little bit to play it.

Another thing that relates, on the unimportance of dominant hands/feet in drumming.

When I drop my arms bent at the elbow they naturally fall into a matched grip, right stick to the hats, left stick to the snare position. To me that is the relaxed placement for my arms. To play open handed Id need to pull my elbows way back into an unnatural position for my body or sit further back than Im comfortable.

Indeed. You nailed the mechanics of it.

I'm trying. Check back in a year or two.

attachment.php

Matched grip is easier to use than traditional grip (disclaimer: I play traditional, but I started matched) and it's easier in general to move around the kit with it. So, what's the deal? Why don't more matched grip drummers play open-handed? Why stick to the traditional crossed-hand approach instead of fully utilizing matched grip?

I think it’s just easier to leave the left hand on the snare when you move the right hand over to the toms to do fills. There’s not a lot of fill work that uses the hats and toms together. There’s a LOT that does use the snare and toms together, though.

Why don't more matched grip drummers play open-handed? Why stick to the traditional crossed-hand approach instead of fully utilizing matched grip?

You mean, play open-handed with the left hand leading on the hi-hat, or moving the hi-hat to the right of the kit via remote stand?

I'm a righty and left-lead often on the hi-hat. When I do what depends on the sitch at the moment.

Open feels less natural to me. I would say it's due to playing a certain way for so many years, but I think there's something ergonomic about it: in crossing over, my right forearm has less of an angle in raising my hand high enough for the hats, but when I play open the distance is shorter so the angle is more extreme and my left shoulder gets kind of hunched.

On simple things I play open handed occasionally, however to answer your question,
Lack of practice doing it.
Left hand is usually weaker to sustain like the right.
Leading with the left and right foot.
Leading with the left and switching to the right lead doing fills around the set.
I do all of these including switching between right and left leads within measures but could see how it would be awkward starting out.

I'm trying. Check back in a year or two.

attachment.php

Do you have another pic of how your hi hat pedal is positioned?
Maybe its the cam angle , but it looks like your foots gotta be waay in there..and angled somehow?

Thanks

T.

I am a left handed match grip drummer who was taught right handed open grip. i can still play that way but it seems a bit goofy since I am playing a left handed set. go figure.

Back