Most Under-rated Drummers

Oh he played with that guitarist? I have some of his records on vinyl.

NUTHA JASON said:
have you listened to those two songs i mentioned Dill? what do you think of his drumming?

j

I listen to those clips from Amazon.com and in all of them there isn't really that much drumming. When there is though, he has a pretty cool sound that fits into the music well.

Dill X said:
I listen to those clips from Amazon.com and in all of them there isn't really that much drumming. When there is though, he has a pretty cool sound that fits into the music well.

You can get a longer sample on iTunes on DiMeola's "Anthology" album.

Nutha, I own that album, yet never knew that guy was the drummer. I just thought it was Steve Gadd.

I saw Al DiMeola, with Chick Corea's Elektric band in 1990 in Germany. Since Weckl was on second, I don't even know or remember who DiMeola's drummer was (maybe it was this guy you mentioned?).

I like Kiss My Axe too, but don't know who the drummer is. I have tons of cd's but none of the booklets for them anymore (lost most of them.)

Matt replies: It might have been Lenny White. He and AL were with Chick when I was on the crew in the summer of 1975. It seems to me Lenny toured with AL later. The bass player on the tiour was Stanley Clark...

Stu_Strib said:
You can get a longer sample on iTunes on DiMeola's "Anthology" album.

Nutha, I own that album, yet never knew that guy was the drummer. I just thought it was Steve Gadd.

I saw Al DiMeola, with Chick Corea's Elektric band in 1990 in Germany. Since Weckl was on second, I don't even know or remember who DiMeola's drummer was (maybe it was this guy you mentioned?).

I like Kiss My Axe too, but don't know who the drummer is. I have tons of cd's but none of the booklets for them anymore (lost most of them.)

sorry if i double post a couple of drummers here:

the dude from the killers , Ronnie Vannucci , has some phat beats.

Jose Pasillas from Incubus is a class drummer, totally self taught - I dig his styles.

Carter Beauford.....seems to be well known by a few people in here, but he has got a beautiful approach to playing a kit.........i am totally envious!

Domonic from Muse - increadible band, and a very tight drummer.

and about a trillion more drummers out there who will never get the cred they deserve.

I guess all those drummers listed here are not really being under-rated cause you know them ... bros ...but just that- maybe not as popular as others ... and that's the real world ... isn't it?

PS: pls don't shoot me ...just my 2cent ...kekekeke

RudimentalDrummer said:
I guess all those drummers listed here are not really being under-rated cause you know them ... bros ...but just that- maybe not as popular as others ... and that's the real world ... isn't it?

PS: pls don't shoot me ...just my 2cent ...kekekeke

That's the whole point of the thread; discussion of drummers that are really good, but probably aren't as popular as they should be.

I personally know what is really good drumming right off the bat, but I usually don't know who it is, because good music tends to focus more on musicality and not clown like personalities.

By the way, I'd like to add Mr. Abts to the list from Gov't Mule. I was playing along today, and man is that guy rock solid. He's not super fancy, but he plays just the right groove and has a killer sound from those Slingerlands.

Stu

Mark Trojanowsi from Sister Hazel.

I love to see guys with traditional music chops that can break into mainstream. This guy is the anti-rock star, but man can he play. I'm glad he can keep it all in perspective and play good music for those of us who appreciate good music, over pop-crap sell-out doo doo.

I think even his band realizes they have a 'good thing' back on drums. In their dvd they seem to think that Mark is a tad over-qualified for his current gig. I for one am glad they have him.

one guy that seems to get missed in all this talk of underrated drummers or great groove players is one of my personal favorites; al jackson jr. this guy has a pocket to end all pockets. check out some of his credits : booker t , sam and dave ,otis redding ,al green ,aretha franklin,wilson pickett ,issac hayes(chief),albert king,eric clapton just to name a small few .An incredible groove monster with more feel than humanly possible.Just listen to "let's stay together " by al green . ....unreal.....wayne

Scott Rockenfield of Queensryche has always been my under-rated drummer. Plays alot like Peart and is really fun to watch. Jerry Gaskill of King's X also. Groovemiester. Even though he has the wierdest style I've ever seen.

I think Toss Panos is a freak that I never hear mentioned. He's played with Keneally and Vai. I have a cd he did with a group called the Fire Merchants. He does this thing with the China and the snare, still can't figure the dam thing out.

Michael Bland. He played with Prince and the NPG from 1990-1997~. He is dam good.

Phillip Fisher formerly of Fishbone and now with Justin Timberlake also comes to mind.

Back