It's official! I'm a Metal Head!

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Talk about being in the wrong place at the wrong time. I made mention of joining a metal band previously, and it seemed like all fun and games when I was invited to play with a friend's band who didn't have their drummer that weekend for a barbecue.

Well, lo and behold, they've asked me to join as a permanent member, which I still didn't take that seriously because they weren't gigging, and I've already got two bands I cleared my summer calendar for. Now they called me and said they lined up at least two gigs and asked if I'd be available.

Apparently they were so impressed that when I told them we'd be doing the first job with no rehearsal - the date is coming up soon and I've already planned a bunch of stuff - they were more than happy that I just said yes. I did promise I'd practice the tunes and we'd see how it all worked out on the job.

This is much different than my attitude at a backyard party eating steaks.

But now the fear is sorta creeping in: I hear these songs always on the classic rock radio stations, but I've never played them. I never took the songs apart to analyze what they were playing because to me, it was just background music while I made my way through my day on the way to a gig playing different music!

I suppose it's not really modern metal head music, but it's classic stuff that has been around since the 80s: Ozzy, Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Quiet Riot, Van Halen, Judas Priest....stuff like that. And I admit, I had alot of fun at the barbecue, but nobody was caring about my mistakes or the fact that I had no idea what songs they were playing. They'd call them out by name, and I didn't know titles until they started playing, and I'd say, "yeah, I heard that on the radio this morning!"

Well, now, money is on the line and I have to look like the professional I make myself out to be on any other gig. I've listened to all their songs by the original bands on YouTube, and I think I'll do the Kenny Aronoff thing and make little charts on index cards. But then I have to make it look like I'm not glued to some kind of chart too.

Maybe I should get some leather clothes? Maybe a long hair wig too? I find it ironic that I've gone for months not playing out, to now suddenly juggling three bands. I might have to go get some drumming gloves (gasp!)

..it's classic stuff that has been around since the 80s: Ozzy, Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Quiet Riot, Van Halen, Judas Priest..

That sounds more like a Classic (Hard) Rock band to me..

Unless their second set has some old Slayer, Megadeth, Sepultura, Pantera, etc that is..

Wash your mouth out!!

Maiden and Priest are metal in any language.

Sabbath helped invent the genre.....so, they're in.....and then Ozzy gets in by default.

VH and QR? OK, I'll give you them.........but here in Melbourne in the 80's, you did have to go to specialty "metal" stores to find their albums.......at least until 5150 became a worldwide hit.

Maybe I should get some leather clothes? Maybe a long hair wig too?

For the music you're playing, a denim vest with a Maiden back patch, a couple of 'death to disco' and ' bang ya head til ya dead' badges and a studded leather forearm band will suffice........very 80's!!

A wig?

Grow yer hair out and learn to thrash your locks around.

Sounds like good old Pub Rock as we call it here. A.K.A blokes whose kids have grown up and they wanna enjoy themselves again. (Extra-marital jamming)

I've played in a couple of these bands, growing up with dads early Purple n Zep lps had its advantages. Got onto the biker scene and did loads of rallys which were so much fun. Money was crap but you get to play rockstar!

Enjoy it!

Congrats! You should be receiving your handbook: "Genre: Is It Metal or Not" soon in the mail.

I'm kind of in the opposite boat where I played all that heavy stuff for years and years and now I'm playing Simon & Garfunkel and The Beatles, etc.

Enjoy it, it's loads of fun. Do any stick twirling?

Definately learn the songs. I made the mistake of playing bass at a friend's wedding and waited until the day before to give the songs a quick listen because I had already heard them for years (Police, Brian Adams and a few others). I butchered half of them.

Welcome to the club! Now go get some camo pants and a black shirt with skulls!

Congrats! You should be receiving your handbook: "Genre: Is It Metal or Not" soon in the mail.

Congratulations, you know you are really in when you get the Metal card in the mail.

You should go through the songs and figure out what their doing. I'm sure you'll do fine. It sounds like they are doing super technical & fast stuff, so won't have to developed those techniques. That is unless their second set is an Obscura tribute set.

Any aspect of this genre and the songs you guys will be playing that you feel you need to brush up on, be it coordination, power, speed, etc.?

Welcome to the club! Now go get some camo pants and a black shirt with skulls!

Exactly! who knew that would be the official metal drummer uniform? Lol, I must have over 10 pairs of camo cargo shorts and black Punisher tank tops - hey, it works! That's all I ever wear when I show up for shows.

Oh wait, gotta get Timberland's or Doc's to wear with that and change to sneakers when you play! (black of course)

Exactly! who knew that would be the official metal drummer uniform? Lol, I must have over 10 pairs of camo cargo shorts and black Punisher tank tops - hey, it works! That's all I ever wear when I show up for shows.

Oh wait, gotta get Timberland's or Doc's to wear with that and change to sneakers when you play! (black of course)

Bwahaha my boots were black Nam era style jump boots! And I can't do shorts, my knees rub the snare. But yeah, metal drummer uniform for sure!

Unless their second set has some old Slayer, Megadeth, Sepultura, Pantera, etc that is..

I agree. That's old school heavy metal. Which is basically hard rock. Today's metal is much different. Heavy metal, and metal aren't anything alike.

Bo I've heard some of your videos, and think you'll do great in this type of music. It should be a blast for you man. Have fun.

Now you have to grow a mullet :)

The burning question I have is what kit will you use?

Well, you're a good listener and you have a good feel, so I'm not surprised it went well. But now you probably want to do a little bit of homework and work on their specific songs. Let out your inner headbanger a bit. Before you know it, the old folks across the road will be yelling, "Turn that s#!@ down, you darn kids!"

I agree. That's old school heavy metal. Which is basically hard rock. Today's metal is much different. Heavy metal, and metal aren't anything alike.

When Rob Halford greets his fellow MeTal maniacs at a Judas Priest show, is anyone differentiating between “new” and “old” metal? I agree that the new bands are probably technically more proficient, but unfortunately they don’t have the hits since they weren’t around when the others were. Like jazz, Metal seems to have its “standards”, so that’s what this is.

So, Ive done some homework and have prepared that opening fill to Ozzy’s “Over the Mountain”.

You don’t need a double pedal ;)

Attachments

• 5394CCD6-5645-4FB2-8F54-41068400376F.MOV
    1.5 MB · Views: 55
Back