Tama S.L.P. Snares

Okay, 11 lbs might not be much for you and of course there are heavier snares out there, but compared to the SLP Super-Aluminium and my wood snares, the Dynamic Bronze is significantly "heavier". Maye I should stop carrying around lighweight snaredrums, so I won't be tempted to post a "weight"-related comment. :-D

Okay, 11 lbs might not be much for you and of course there are heavier snares out there, but compared to the SLP Super-Aluminium and my wood snares, the Dynamic Bronze is significantly "heavier". Maye I should stop carrying around lighweight snaredrums, so I won't be tempted to post a "weight"-related comment. :-D
Actually, I'm a big fan of lightweight stuff, and I've got 2 carbon fiber bicycles under 6.4 kg.
Also, I'm not a frequent "gigging" drummer anymore - the real reason i don't care much about weight. If I was gigging frequently and having to haul my own stuff, I'd be looking for all carbon fiber drums and alu hardware. :)

Well, it finally arrived, and I love it. It was not really tuned from the factory, so I had to do some basic tweaking, but one I got it tensioned, it really sings. Fit and finish is first class, and I'm still just amazed about the price for these drums. I'll still got some fine tuning to do, and maybe a head change, but I can tell already, it's a keeper.
Here are some shots:
SLP_DB1_zps0sehkc78.jpg

SLP_DB3_zpsxavozpas.jpg

SLP_DB4_zpsvidvdgpp.jpg

Nice! Glad to see that you're stoked.

Nice! But why don't all the SLP snares have the superior "linear drive" strainer (MLS50A)? The snares are all in the same price range, give or take...

Love these SLP drums. Beautiful snare, Mike, congrats! Ridiculous value indeed.

New SLP models.
6x14 Fat Spruce and 5.5x14 Classic Dry Aluminum.

Attachments

• slp spruce 1.jpg
    slp spruce 1.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 454
  • slp dry aluminum 1.jpg
    slp dry aluminum 1.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 453
Nice! But why don't all the SLP snares have the superior "linear drive" strainer (MLS50A)? The snares are all in the same price range, give or take...
The hardware changes a lot on the different modes. Lugs, rims, strainers. I'm sure it's a trade-off to keep the prices as low as they are.

I also think that it is a measure to keep the cost low, but probably also a result of testing the sound. Both strainers that they use on the SLPs have a different mass, thus should affect the sound of the snare slightly. I don't know how much it is in reality but the MLS50A is considerably heavier. Anyway, both strainers work like a charm.

Enjoy that snare, mike d. It's a beautiful instrument.

New SLP models.
6x14 Fat Spruce and 5.5x14 Classic Dry Aluminum.

Hm... Interested in the "Dry" Aluminum since they pulled the older SLP "Super" Aluminum from the market before I got the chance to by one. I like the blue metal finish! Any reason why the "dry" would be drier than the "super"? Lugs have more shell contact and mass than the tube lugs. Is that all?

Any reason why the "dry" would be drier than the "super"?

Honestly, it's Tama...they love to tack on random descriptors and modifiers to remind you how awesome their drums are. Not that they aren't great drums, but I'll bet they just needed a new word in the name to differentiate it from the old drum, and well, aluminum is commonly known as a dry metal...

Hm... Interested in the "Dry" Aluminum since they pulled the older SLP "Super" Aluminum from the market before I got the chance to by one. I like the blue metal finish! Any reason why the "dry" would be drier than the "super"? Lugs have more shell contact and mass than the tube lugs. Is that all?

And those lugs on the Dry have some thick-azz gaskets. Cuts down on shell resonance compared to the tube lugs. They both sound great, though.

Not that they aren't great drums, but I'll bet they just needed a new word in the name to differentiate it from the old drum, and well, aluminum is commonly known as a dry metal...
Me thinks the same. Sound differences should not be dramatic, even if the Super-Aluminium might have a tad more shell resonance.

VitalTransformation, there are still some Super-Aluminiums out there. Not many, but with a bit of luck, you can still get one. Two of them are still available in Europe.

Me thinks the same. Sound differences should not be dramatic, even if the Super-Aluminium might have a tad more shell resonance.

VitalTransformation, there are still some Super-Aluminiums out there. Not many, but with a bit of luck, you can still get one. Two of them are still available in Europe.

Hmm... I kinda got a little GAS for the new one now! I like the matte finish (is it blue-tinted or are my eyes playing tricks on me?). And I like 8 lug snares. Blatant Acrolite copy? Maybe, but I've always wanted an Acro and I'm not buying one at the prices they command over here...

Last edited:
It is blue-tinted.

I guess, whichever you buy, you will get a nice aluminium snare. Not even one SLP snare got bad reviews anywhere until now. I am pretty sure that Tama is not interested in ruining the good reputation of the SLP line now. :)

Well, it finally arrived, and I love it. It was not really tuned from the factory, so I had to do some basic tweaking, but one I got it tensioned, it really sings. Fit and finish is first class, and I'm still just amazed about the price for these drums. I'll still got some fine tuning to do, and maybe a head change, but I can tell already, it's a keeper.
Here are some shots:
SLP_DB1_zps0sehkc78.jpg

SLP_DB3_zpsxavozpas.jpg

SLP_DB4_zpsvidvdgpp.jpg

So today I put a new Hybrid head on it and some Fat Cat Split snare wires. Just what the doctor ordered. It now sounds the way I imagined it could. The hybrid head dries it out perfectly, while still letting the bronze sing, and the snare wires cut all of the extra buzz out. I'm super happy with this "bargain" drum.

+1 on the Fat Cat wires. I have the "adjustable" version on a couple of my snares and it really fattens them up nicely.

Back