ZOOM Q2n vs Q4n vs Q8n for Live Recording

AxisDrummer

For anyone who has experience with either one, or multiple versions of these Zoom video cameras, I'd like to know pros/cons/recommendations on these based on what my intended usage would be:

• Camera would be used to record live loud rock band with internal mics only.
  • Camera would be stationary on a tripod or held by someone (before they drink too much and get shakey....)
  • Set it and forget it other than hitting "Stop" and "record." No panning or zooming. Just a view of entire stage, all band members.
  • Typical bar setting: dark with stage lights.
  • I'm just looking to get some solid footage of either my own band or other bands. Not looking for a slick professional presentation, just something to toss on YouTube or band Facebook page.

I do have the older Zoom Q2HD and have used it to record in the past. As documented with most reviews, the audio is solid but the video is so-so and the battery life is awful as with many of these products unless a power bank or AC is used. The newer Zoom Q2n, the cheapest of the 3, is touted as "The Musician's Camera."

Any thoughts?

The video quality isn't tremendous either on the Q2n, I found the picture a bit dull. You cannot rely on it on batteries for a concert : it's around 1h recording. I use mine plugged with an iPod AC adaptor. Still, I like it very much, for its ease of use and sound quality. It's small and stable. One thing, I ordered the lens cap / lens hood, those should have been in the box, and they indeed are part of the Q2n 4K package.

The usb AC adapter port on the Q2n didn't last very long for me. I went back and read reviews and I'd say (unscientifically!!) about 20% of them mentioned this. The battery life isn't very good on the older Q2n. The Q2n-4k is suppose to address both the usb issue and the battery life issue.

Do you mean that they broke the usb female plug on the device ?

I'm looking for a camera also. I think of the three mentioned the Q8n would be my choice because you can run sound from a mixer to the camera. That should sound much better than the camera's mics.

Back