Zoom cam for live lessons?

Ghostin one

I got a new computer recently (cheap) and was wondering about the quality of video and audio necessary for maybe taking drum lessons on line.

The audio and video quality of the computer leave a lot to be desired - audio might be ok, not sure though.

Looking at the Zoom q2n camera, it says:

"A USB port allows for connection to any computer* or iOS device** so you can use the Q2n as a web camera for live streaming, as a USB microphone for podcasts, or as a card reader to transfer recordings***."

Asterisks aside, does this mean I could use the the Zoom "live" instead of the mic and camera on the computer??
On Skype, for example... is that what most teachers use?

BertTheDrummer

Gold Member
It would work. Now quality, I'm not sure as I haven't tried it. However, you can use it as either a webcam, or just use the mic from it.

Tamaefx

Silver Member
I've got a Q2n, it should work. When I connect the device to the Mac, it displays a choice : card reader, webcam, microphone.
Sound quality is of course perfect, picture is Ok, as soon as the light isn't too tricky, wide angle is practical. I only use it as a card reader to transfer the recorded files, I may try the webcam option to check how it works.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
I have the old Zoom Q2HD it's made to stream, but I use the card to record then transfer to laptop. The sound and video quality are fine. Plenty of good folks on here have watched my videos and offered useful suggestions on my poor technique and playing so it should work great for the need.

Ghostin one

Thanks for the replies. I've learned that the Q2n reverts to 720p for live, but I guess good lighting is the key.

Agrippa, I think I saw your Watermelon Man (or another Herbie H?) video, it was cool!

Tamaefx

Silver Member
Thanks for the replies. I've learned that the Q2n reverts to 720p for live, but I guess good lighting is the key.

Agrippa, I think I saw your Watermelon Man (or another Herbie H?) video, it was cool!
That's rather logical the 720p shift. Otherwise it would require too much bandwith. But I use the Q2n at 720p all the time, so not too deal with too large files. The quality is sufficient.

About the lighting : avoid backlight and incident light above the camera, there's often a kind of flare ; if you can, buy the accessory pack, which contains a lens cap.