Zildjian Z3 replacing Z Customs? OR adding on?

video already gone.....hmmmm i know nothing about this z3 line, im wanting to know more :)

video already gone.....hmmmm i know nothing about this z3 line, im wanting to know more :)

Aw dang it! Well, I watched the video through and was amazed at how much better they sounded than the Z Customs. Zildjian must have got at them for having the video up before they were officially released.. ?

I loved the china.

They had totally different hammering from what I saw.

everything about them have been yanked from youtube, to ebay to various drum sites, they are all taken down. sounds like either there is a problem with them and zildjian wants them taken off the market immediately or everyone jumped the gun quicker than zildjian wanted to. ebay listed , everything gone!

everything about them have been yanked from youtube, to ebay to various drum sites, they are all taken down. sounds like either there is a problem with them and zildjian wants them taken off the market immediately or everyone jumped the gun quicker than zildjian wanted to. ebay listed , everything gone!

They sounded good so I'm guessing it's just that everyone was jumping on selling them before their approval.

hahaha yeah, I guess they do XD

From zzounds - "Ground shaking Rock cymbals are nothing new to Zildjian. In 1985, Zildjian led the way with the legendary Z line. By 1993, Z Custom was found on the kits of Rock drummers around the world. Now comes the third phase of the Z legacy with the most musical Rock cymbals ever crafted, Z3. Over 25 hot new models destined to rock your world."

So there were Z's, Z Customs, and now Z3. I still don't know if they're just going to be a whole new line, but I assume not.

EDIT: I sent a message to them asking them why they took the video down. He said Zildjian told them to wait until mid-June to put it back up.

Last edited:
hahaha yeah, I guess they do XD

From zzounds - "Ground shaking Rock cymbals are nothing new to Zildjian. In 1985, Zildjian led the way with the legendary Z line. By 1993, Z Custom was found on the kits of Rock drummers around the world. Now comes the third phase of the Z legacy with the most musical Rock cymbals ever crafted, Z3. Over 25 hot new models destined to rock your world."

So there were Z's, Z Customs, and now Z3. I still don't know if they're just going to be a whole new line, but I assume not.

EDIT: I sent a message to them asking them why they took the video down. He said Zildjian told them to wait until mid-June to put it back up.

Does anyone know what happened to the original Z line? I always wondered why there was no "Z" line nowadays, just "Z Custom".

Does anyone know what happened to the original Z line? I always wondered why there was no "Z" line nowadays, just "Z Custom".

I heard on some NPR business show awhile back that every time Lucky Charms adds a new marshmallow color, sales go up like 20%. Then, after things even out, yet another new marshmallow color!

I don't remember there being much difference between Z and Z Customs - except that the hammer marks came in different flavors on the Z (stars, diamonds, clovers, etc...).

Last edited:
The a line got cancelled because it wasn't selling as much and It cost more to make than it was worth thus making the a custom line which used similar materiels but made them more profit tjan cost and matt nicholls is the shit

I spoke to Zildjian about the Z3's last week. They are a more musical Z Custom, so I would guess they will start to add to the Z line, and if sales do well they may drop some Z Customs. But that's just a guess....

The reason Zildjian is pulling everything down is because they haven't started stocking the Z3's yet. Once they do, everything will go back up. I'm going to swap out some of my Z Customs once they are available, and I'll be sure to post a review.

I posted this in a Pitch Black thread about a month ago. Honestly...the Z3 are much improved version of the Z Customs. I was skeptical but the demo models I tried were a much better "well rounded" cymbal. Lots of volume but also very clean sounding and not so aggressive. I honestly did think it was a good improvement.

They're trying to redeem themselves for the Pitch Black incident... =)

I wouldn't mind having a looksee at these when they come in stores. They look good. I love the volume and power of Z customs but yeah i wouldn't mind something a bit more musical. Sounds like these might bridge the gap between the A custom and Z custom lines. The question is, was there ever a gap to begin with?

I wouldn't mind having a looksee at these when they come in stores. They look good. I love the volume and power of Z customs but yeah i wouldn't mind something a bit more musical. Sounds like these might bridge the gap between the A custom and Z custom lines. The question is, was there ever a gap to begin with?

Oh yeah there is a gap!
I use both Z and A Customs. Not at the same time, though. I have tried that out in the past and the pitch between a 19" Z Custom Med. and a 19" A Csutom Med. is drastic. I just don't think they pair together well.

Like you said, the Z3 will bridge that gap. I can't wait!

When the original Z line was out, it was a mixed bag of hot and cold.

The ride sold OK (I still have one of the original 20" Heavy Power rides), and was used by a number of top players.

The Hi-hats were the star of the line, as guys like Lars Ulrich used them, and then Dave Weckl took sales to a new level with mixing the K and Z lines.

But the crashes were thick and clunky, and sounded more like manhole covers. No one bought them, and very few endorsers used them. Even the guys who swore by the rides and hi-hats didn't use the crashes. They were just too thick to be musical.

So Zildjian re-did the line with Z-Customs by making the crashes less manhole cover like, and adding a touch more lathing, which allowed the crashes to open up more and sounded much more musical. Sales went through the roof. I used them myself for a number of years.

What I never understood was why Zildjian also re-did the hi-hat and rides, when they weren't the problem. In my opinion, it made the rides and hats a little less special.

I'm not sure what's up with the Z3. Other than Sabian keeps coming out with something new every year, and Zildjian is always trying to prove they can be innovative too.

Back