Zildjian with upside-down model ink?

StewartCropeland

Newbieish. I had trouble googling info on this because "upside down" typically refers to the logo or the cymbal itself. This cymbal has the "RIDE" text the opposite orientation as what I think of as normal. Anyone know if this was just something they did for some short period of time?

Attachments

• 01616_9huPDd10mDpz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpeg
    01616_9huPDd10mDpz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpeg
    64.5 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Well... ^ that

Hahaha. My knowledge only reaches as far as 'oh that an older cymbal when they had the designation 'upside down'

Since it has ZILDJIAN ink rather than a K, I presume it is an A Zildjian. You cut off the diagnostic part of the trademark stamp. But the hammering and lathing looks consistent with a 1980s A Zildjian. That production era also marked the beginning of the Avedis Zildjian company producing K Zildjian cymbals at their USA plant. There are a few cymbals from the early 80s period which don't fit the simple A vs K categories, as they have say K hammering but an A Zildjian trademark stamp, or vice versa. It was a period of change and sometimes the worker just put the stamp (ink or trademark) on uʍop ǝpᴉsdn. If you have a close look at the trademark and it says K Zildjian rather than A Zildjian let us know. I'd also be interested to know the weight. I collect weight information particularly for cymbals which have model or weight class ink.
Thanks for the comprehensive info! Here's a shot of the stamp. Does seem like the 80s A from the stamp guides I've seen. This one is 2360g.

btw I was just googling general information on cymbal weight ranges, and came across a good post by you on a vintage drum forum :)

Attachments

• 20210708_071949.jpg
    20210708_071949.jpg
    638 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Back