Zildjian sweet ride differences?

So I've been looking at some Zildjian 21" Sweet Rides online. Some are older and have the small A with the Sweet Right printing to its right

wisgm1jqoh6he7y4ioki.jpg

and the newer ones have the much bigger A with the Sweet Ride below it.

A0079-large.jpg

Since I can't try them out in person, I'm just wondering if there's any kind of a consensus (oh so likely, I realize) about whether one era/style is significantly thinner/thicker/better/less good than the other. I know that New Beat hats have undergone such changes over the years, getting heavier and then thinner again, and was wondering if Sweet Rides had followed any kind of similar path.

Auspicious

I had the old one from the top picture. Then, I listened to the newer model from the Zildjian sound lab.

From memory, they are not too far apart, I recognize the Sweet I had in the newer video.. but of course they proabbly are all a bit different.

If this can help...

C.M. Jones

I agree with @mikyok that Zildjian and variance go hand in hand. That's not a defect of any sort; it's just the Zildjian standard. There are only two ways to go about making Zildjian purchases: hearing the exact cymbals you'll be buying or ordering them blindly and embracing whatever surprises you receive. The first approach is methodical, the second adventurous. Both can be fun with the proper outlook.

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
I'd listen to as many sound files as you can. It should help tune your ear to the range of what you could expect from the model if you buy one online.

iCe

Zildjian 'updated' the logo of the A-Zildjian a few years back. The line wasn't altered as far as i know besides the logo

Neal Pert

Zildjian 'updated' the logo of the A-Zildjian a few years back. The line wasn't altered as far as i know besides the logo

The "A" line as a whole was very significantly redesigned c. 2013, with great success. However, the A Sweets were not included in that redesign.

Bozozoid

Wow..im at guitar center to get the paiste 2002 24"ride yesterday but it was gone. I'm playing a 21"k sweet ride that was beautiful. SO...im youtubing the 21A sweet ride vs the K 21 sweet and am terribly impressed with the 21 A sweet. Oh...i also played a 21 A sweet at GC...the difference was obvious but the A impressed me quite alot and sounded just like the video. Great cymbal to say the least and now I'm confused as hell.

Neal Pert

Wow..im at guitar center to get the paiste 2002 24"ride yesterday but it was gone. I'm playing a 21"k sweet ride that was beautiful. SO...im youtubing the 21A sweet ride vs the K 21 sweet and am terribly impressed with the 21 A sweet. Oh...i also played a 21 A sweet at GC...the difference was obvious but the A impressed me quite alot and sounded just like the video. Great cymbal to say the least and now I'm confused as hell.

If you want to get even more confused, check out the 23" A Sweet Ride. For me, that's the magical one.

No Way Jose

Silver Member
That's how cymbals are, very confusing. But the sweet ride is one of my favorites.

roncadillac

The general profile, description and overall expectation of sound and playability will be the same however, as many others have pointed out, there will be a minor but noticable tone difference if you were to A/B several of the 'same' cymbal simply due to the metal and the process. I look at it this way: if you blindly buy a new one online you'll probably enjoy it and have no issue. If you were to compare a few, you may find one you like more then another. Most of us do not have that luxury so have to resort to 'buying blind' after research.

When I got my zildjian A uptown ride i listened to many different sound files and watched many different videos to determine if that was the general route I wanted to go. They all had a little something different but for conversation sake... They were basically the same. I blindly bought a new one online and guess what? It sounds basically the same as the others.

roncadillac

Plus, the sweet ride is a 'bread and butter' product for Zildjian. If they dramatically changed that model's design out of the blue it would be a "New Coke" fiasco all over again.

Bozozoid

Here's my problem...i now can't come to a decision. I wish it wasn't so. This is what I call my sickness. I've read and reread all the posts here and more than reading I'm trying to get inside your minds through the posts here. Can anyone confirm this? I thought the 21 sweet had a BUTTERY sound and feel which I really liked. It opened real nice which I need during shuffles so the band can ride on the cushion of sound. I've listened alot to the 23 and I LOVE big ride cymbals but I keep being drawn back to the 21. Any of you using a brilliant finish 21?. I'll be youtubing rides most of the day now. Being this confused takes all the fun out of a decision now.

Neal Pert

The good news is that you really can’t go wrong. It’s a great cymbal in both sizes. I had a 23 for years and have a preference for it but I bought a 21 for my workplace ten years ago and I love that thing, too and have played the heck out of it.

This is more like choosing between a black Lexus and a grey one than like choosing between a Lexus and a motorcycle. The difference is in the color. You can’t make a bad decision

Bozozoid

The good news is that you really can’t go wrong. It’s a great cymbal in both sizes. I had a 23 for years and have a preference for it but I bought a 21 for my workplace ten years ago and I love that thing, too and have played the heck out of it.

This is more like choosing between a black Lexus and a grey one than like choosing between a Lexus and a motorcycle. The difference is in the color. You can’t make a bad decision
I've read this over and over again trying to get a touch of your soul. It's more than words you've typed. Just got back from YouTube..i definitely! want a 24"2002 ride sound with the tip of the stick...i want the spread and sound of the 21 A sweet ride when laying into the edge with the shoulder of my 5B.. but a bit thinner than the 21A i want the bell sound of a 20" K. There's my ride...im in ride cymbal hell. I'm deep into the black or grey Lexus quote..it was medicine to me.

Neal Pert

I've read this over and over again trying to get a touch of your soul. It's more than words you've typed. Just got back from YouTube..i definitely! want a 24"2002 ride sound with the tip of the stick...i want the spread and sound of the 21 A sweet ride when laying into the edge with the shoulder of my 5B.. but a bit thinner than the 21A i want the bell sound of a 20" K. There's my ride...im in ride cymbal hell. I'm deep into the black or grey Lexus quote..it was medicine to me.

I'm glad it helped!

I think for all of us the question comes down to whether we want a single sort of "signature" sound for our ride cymbal or if we want to have options. For a few years I only had one set of cymbals and the ride was the 23" Sweet Ride-- I took those cymbals on every gig no matter what it was. And I think the Sweet is one of those cymbals you can do that with and it almost doesn't matter which size you get-- it's very flexible yet not generic-sounding. So, if you want to have a dedicated ride cymbal, either Sweet will be perfect for that.

Then again, most jazz drummers-- and these days, lots of other drummers-- look for ALL of their cymbals to be rideable and crashable. So that means you can have several ride voices even in just one set up. Like, a set of 21" Sweet, 20" Avedis, and a 20" K Cluster or K Sweet crash would give you three great, distinct-sounding cymbals that can all work as rides (at some volumes, at least) or crashes.

wildbill

Platinum Member
I've had a bunch of 21" A Sweets, but only have one left now. It's a great all purpose cymbal.
I got a 21" K Sweet and prefer that one now. It's just more refined, with a better stick to wash ratio,
and all around just a 'sweeter' sound, if that's not speaking too generally.

wildbill

Platinum Member

Only viable solution is to get all three. :ROFLMAO:

Look for used deals, and get them one at a time and you'll be done.