Zildjian Platinum

Woolwich

Silver Member
I had one of the very early black labels in 1986 (possibly 1985, it's all a bit foggy now). Pretty sure that effectively it was an A Zildjian crash cymbal, it sounded and looked great for the couple of years I owned it.
The stories I heard about the discontinuation where that the line was too difficult to make in an environmentally friendly way, but that's just what I heard and I don't have an insight.

1Pigpen

I have 5 of them...from a 10” splash to a 21” rock ride. I’ve been playing them since the late 80s (black labels) and I still love them. The finish is good on all of them. The only problem was cracking the 18” thin crash, so I took it to a machine shop and had the cymbal cut into an octagon shape to remove the crack. Now it’s the wickedest 16”-ish crash I’ve ever heard, and the only one on the planet is in my kit.

1Pigpen

I used to have black logoed 14" platinum new beats. I paid 125 for them in the late 80's and sold them to a friend for 150, I really liked them for recording but otherwise i found them too bright.

Zildjian claims that they were eliminated because of environmental issues with the plating process, but part of me believes they scrapped them due to poor sales. When a cymbal just sounds bad, no amount of glitter will fix that.
I gave my mid 80s regular new beats to my daughter when I found a used set of 14” Paiste 3000 hats. The new beats were too bright indeed.

CommanderRoss

Silver Member
I gave my mid 80s regular new beats to my daughter when I found a used set of 14” Paiste 3000 hats. The new beats were too bright indeed.
Paiste's are the shiz!! I've wanted a pair of Signature series hats and a Masters Series swish for a long time. Such a great sound.

Giuseppe

If you like the A Zildjian sound, they are great cymbals. However, the crash and splash that I owned both cracked prematurely. I’m not sure if that had anything to do with them being Platinums, but they are the only cymbals that I broke like that, and I’ve been playing Zildjians almost exclusively for 37 years...

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Platinum is pure white gold...bery bery expensive....
Ugh, more mis-information. Platium is not white gold. White gold is gold plated with rhodium, a metal in the Platinum family. Gold is gold, it's own metal. It's soft and malleable. Platinum is platinum, its own metal. It's very hard, and not malleable. Each had its own molecular structure, and each is an element on the periodic table. They are not the same.

Sorry for the detail, back to the thread.