Zildjian ping ride question..

V-Four

Hey gang, great place you got here.

I have a 'quick' question about ping rides..and maybe the timeline.

I am interested in a 20" ping (A series, not A custom). Like the sound clips and all that.

I found a deal on what 'the center' is calling an A series ping ride. In the photos, it only says Zildjian and ping ride 180 degrees away. (No A series or anything).

Are these 'older models'(im assuming here) considered A series before they stared calling them 'A's?

Would it sound similar to an a series?
(Im sure weight would affect it too..etc)

Were older ones heavier/lighter than current A series ping rides?
And yes, im well aware that its best to hear in person, thats why just the 'general' questions.

Thanks for the help.

T

Stroman

Platinum Member
Older cymbals tend to be lighter, but that can vary. As for "A Series," in the past you basically had Avedis Zildjian, and Kerope Zildjian. People began calling them A's and K's, because, well, people shorten names. lol The "A Series" as we know it now is essentially marketing. More recently, they have introduced "Avedis" as a somewhat different line, but that is a new marketing thing, trying to capture the vintage market.

Avedis was the guy's name, and is where the A comes from, originally.

So, to answer your question, it is an A, and it will sound somewhat similar to current production, with the usual individual variability.

Seafroggys

Silver Member
If it doesn't explicitly say A Custom, then its probably a regular A. Zildjian never really labeled "A" on their A line, at least back in the '00's, not sure if they do now.

Also for what its worth, I have the 22" A Ping Ride. I love it, really nice sound. But a bit one dimensional, if you want a washy ride you can't get it. For what it does its great, and I plan on keeping it forever, but if I was to do it again, I'd probably go for a 22" A Medium Ride, or even a 22" 2002 Ride.

Tommy_D

Platinum Member
The easiest way to tell if the cymbal is an A or A Custom is in the lathing. A series uses wider and deeper lathing. A custom uses narrower and shallower lathing. Also, A custom only comes in brilliant finish. If the cymbal is traditional finish, its not an A custom.

alparrott

Platinum Member
If the ink looks like this, it's an 80's to early 90's model before the A series had any different markings on them other than model.

V-Four

If it doesn't explicitly say A Custom, then its probably a regular A. Zildjian never really labeled "A" on their A line, at least back in the '00's, not sure if they do now.

Also for what its worth, I have the 22" A Ping Ride. I love it, really nice sound. But a bit one dimensional, if you want a washy ride you can't get it. For what it does its great, and I plan on keeping it forever, but if I was to do it again, I'd probably go for a 22" A Medium Ride, or even a 22" 2002 Ride.
This is exactly what I'm after, thanks.

If the ink looks like this, it's an 80's to early 90's model before the A series had any different markings on them other than model.

Yes, looks just like that one.

Thanks for the input gang.
Pullin the trigger today.

T

toddbishop

Platinum Member
My impression of every Ping Ride I've ever played is that it's one of the more consistent models Zildjian makes. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one blind. I also wouldn't pay more than about $120 with shipping right now. They are pretty one dimensional-- you can get basically two sounds out of them, the ride sound and the bell sound.

Every Ping Ride ever made is part of the Avedis Zildjian line of cymbals, colloquially known as A. Zildjian or Zildjian A or A.