Zildjian Oriental 20".....who uses china's on their left side?

TheJarvis

I have had this china for a long time and I have always used it on the left side of my setup, appears that there are a lot of us drummers who do the same......

Or am I the only one?

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
Being right-handed, I lead with my right for just about everything. Even if I'm on the hat (to my left) and want a China crash, I reach all the way over to my right (and up) for it.

Bermuda

lefty2

Platinum Member
I have mine on the right but that's because I'm left-handed. So that would be equal to you having one on the left I use it a lot with my snare

TheJarvis

If I use a smaller China say a 14” or even my 17” it’s always located on my right. As I really prefer to glance the bigger China it makes perfect sense to be on my left, playing trad makes it’s location even better.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Because of the standard marketing of always having a china thrown into the drum set up, I've always tried to have one. My latest experiment was having a Swish Knocker (22") on my far left (I'm left-handed), but it never stays part of the kit. So I guess the question for me would be "who uses a china cymbal at all?" I like how Jojo Mayer used to use the China to his left, though. He's such a kit chameleon I couldn't say if he does it anymore.

mikyok

Platinum Member
Because of the standard marketing of always having a china thrown into the drum set up, I've always tried to have one. My latest experiment was having a Swish Knocker (22") on my far left (I'm left-handed), but it never stays part of the kit. So I guess the question for me would be "who uses a china cymbal at all?"
I'm exactly the same. I look at chinas like splashes.

They are great accent cymbals and everyone owns them but they are down the pecking order when you're only taking the essentials on the road. When I had my lockup a china used to stay on a stand setup as I never gigged it from about 2010

Matty1977

"who uses a china cymbal at all?"
This is the question for me too. I have a very nice Bosphorous Traditional China (16") but it rarely gets an airing. As mikyok says above "I look at chinas like splashes". Problem is that my Sabian AAX splash is lighter to carry and takes up less real estate when space is always at a premium at gigs.
May make it a NY resolution to give the China a bit more love. If I do I will stick with keeping it on the right hand side of the kit though!

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
Upside down on the left just like Vinnie used to do.

That's on the big kit, though. I'm doing some experimentation with a small and different type of kit and it might serve in a different way there.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I keep mine in the middle. That way I can access it with either hand. It's only a 12" though, I don't need a huge China. In the thick of things, it's a one trick pony and its size doesn't really matter to me as long as it sounds trashy.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I think if you guys played bigger China’s you’d really like them as alternative rides. Cobham played a 26” swish and the low pitch just blended so well and didn’t stick out like a sore thumb.

bud7h4

Silver Member
Similar to my thoughts in the "open hand" thread, adding (or mirroring) a voice to your left or right side adds to what you can do. Even when I don't have a china on my left, I at least have an Ozone there for a similar effect.

I keep mine in the middle. That way I can access it with either hand. It's only a 12" though, I don't need a huge China. In the thick of things, it's a one trick pony and its size doesn't really matter to me as long as it sounds trashy.
I feel the same way. My right side china is a 14, and I chose it for the warmer tone and a bit less volume. I wanted the effect to blend with the music, more like Peart for example, as apposed to a lot of extreme metal or punk players.

Last edited:
My right side China is a 20" K. I've got another China to my left, to the left of the hi-hat—it's a Wuhan and I go back and forth between a 12" and a 14" and only use it occasionally as a sort of splash-like accent.

TheJarvis

I do have 17" K China Boy Brilliant that I keep on my right but the bigger china always ends up on my left.

Frosticles

Silver Member
@Frosticles

No hi hat pedal? Very interested, Could you tell us a bit more about your setup?
That set up I no longer use. I was being lazy with the Hi-Hat ;) I have now gone back to a proper stand. It did work well though as the music we play, I can get away with a sloshy hat. We have now re-introduced some old songs back into the set which require me to use it conventionally :)