Zildjian 'Old K' modification.

DaveCollingwood

If anyone's interested in the process of cymbal modification (specifically relathing, in this case), I've published a blog post about some work I've just completed for a customer.

I was asked to relathe an old K on the underside only to lower the pitch and open up the sound by cutting in more of a taper to the edge.

Click HERE to read the full post and see a video comparing the cymbal at various weights.

Cheers!

Ron_M

Thanks for posting, Dave. It's not often we get to hear an old reworked K. Everyone has a different opinion when it comes to cymbals, so people's preferences will vary; I think my favorite weight was the 1996g - a nice balance of stick and crash-ability (if I can judge that from a video). I can only speak of old As, but my favorites are always ~2k with a nice taper to a thin edge. This makes for a very usable and nice sounding cymbal, IMO.

DaveCollingwood

Certainly right that everyone has a different opinion - several people have enjoyed this work, some consider it sacrilege! Good job I've got thick skin (sits twitching and sobbing in the corner).

I personally thought each stage had something going for it, but the important thing for me is that the owner is happy with where it is now. Job done! I don't really play this kind of cymbal (at the moment) but that's not going to stop me working on them!

Thanks for the comments!