Zildjian K/Z Hi Hat Combo, anyone use it?

dbshorter

I'm looking into getting new hi hats, and I really want to try out the Zildjian K top hat and Z custom bottom hat combo. I have a pair of New Beats that I've been playing for the last few months, but I'm just not a huge fan of them. Whenever I play them slightly open the wash just doesn't sound great, kinda clangy.
Anyone play the K/Z combo? What do you think of it?

I have the 13" K/Z Specials. Used them for years....oddly enough alongside New Beats. I used to alternate depending on which set I thought sounded best for the application. Great hats. Being 13" they are quick, sharp and responsive. The heavy Z bottom can promote an element of "clangyness" though. I think it's a good thing, but if "clangy" worries you then certainly try before you buy.

Still have them and can't see myself ever selling them but that said, I haven't really used them in some time. I much favour my New Beats as being the perfect "all round" set of hats. If I'm ever in doubt, the NB's get the job every time.

I've been playing 13" K/Zs since around 1992. Only hi hats I'll ever play (well, I could go to the 14" set as an x-hat, but I digress). Used them for everything from light jazz combos to full bore metal. They do everything I ask.

I also have a set of 13" K/Zs, mine are from the late 80's/early 90's. I love them. They are the hats I've wanted since I was a kid, and I use them for just about everything. I just used them on a three-week rock musical run, and they sounded huge and crisp and raw and everything. Can't ever get enough of them.

I think you'd get a good wash with the 17" K/Z combination. Trust me.

17" inch hi hats? That sounds pretty interesting. I've been thinking of trying out bigger sizes of hats, but there's also something about the quickness of 13" hi hats that I really enjoy.

I found a guy on Craigslist (thank God for CL, by the way) that wants to sell me an older pair of K/Z hats for 100 bucks. I can't imagine that being anything but a good deal.

I found a guy on Craigslist (thank God for CL, by the way) that wants to sell me an older pair of K/Z hats for 100 bucks. I can't imagine that being anything but a good deal.

It is a GREAT deal (what I got mine for, btw). Go, run, don't walk, get that money to him!!!

Love them.

I have a set of 14" K/Z's that i bought when they first came out. They are my work horse hats.

The 13" K/Z's were too bright for my taste so i swapped out the top with a K Custom Dark and it sounds fantastic.

I currently use 14" K Custom / Z hi hats. I play a wide variety of music from classic rock to punk to country. They always do the job for me.

Back in the 90's when all I played was alternative and punk, I used 13" K/Z's. They were very popular back then. I don't see a lot of drummers using them anymore though.

So I ended up getting a pair of 13" K/Z hats...

My overall opinion is that I like the hats, but I'm not the biggest fan of the Z Dyno Beat bottom. The thing is freakin' heavy. I guess I knew that when I bought it, but it turns out its a bit too clangy for my taste.

Anybody know anything about Zildjian's A series Armand hats? I saw a 13" bottom hat on CL for like $50 that I might pick up and try out with the K top.

So I ended up getting a pair of 13" K/Z hats...

My overall opinion is that I like the hats, but I'm not the biggest fan of the Z Dyno Beat bottom. The thing is freakin' heavy. I guess I knew that when I bought it, but it turns out its a bit too clangy for my taste.

Anybody know anything about Zildjian's A series Armand hats? I saw a 13" bottom hat on CL for like $50 that I might pick up and try out with the K top.

Try it! You never know.

I play the 13" version of the K/Z since 1986 as my main hi-hat and I love it, it's very versatile and suitable for all style of music, it can be freakin' loud if you want it to be or quiet like a whisper, I also have an x-hat with a Quick Beat, this one's even older.

I had the chance to choose my K/Z at the distributor's warehouse in Switzerland, so I was able to choose between many tops and bottoms and swapped them until I had the combo I was happy with... I've never looked back since.

For years my rock hats have been a 13" A New Beat bottom with a standard K top Hi hat on the top. One of my guitar players gave them to me years ago from a large lot of instruments that he had acquired, I really like them, that Armand bottom will probably work great for you. Good luck.

I have a 14" Z Series bottom (1980's) not Z Custom.
When I want a heavy sound I'll use it as a Top with a New Beat Bottom.

I've tried having a New Beat Top and the Z as a bottom, but I didn't really did the sound.
The K Custom Top Hat isn't that far off from a New Beat, so it might be a little "clangy".

Personally I'm looking at getting an A Custom Top to match up with the Z. Being a much thinner cymbal I think it will be a more diverse match depending on if I use the Z on top or bottom.

Personally I'm looking at getting an A Custom Top to match up with the Z. Being a much thinner cymbal I think it will be a more diverse match depending on if I use the Z on top or bottom.

That would be interesting! I've played a set of 14" A Custom hats, and I was a big fan of those also.

Back