Zildjian K promo pack

whatsam

Hey guys, I am currently looking to buy some new cymbals and because of cost I am going to get a pack. I have pretty much decided on the Zildjian K promo pack but i'm wondering what people think of this. I've played the cymbals individually but never as a set. I also like the look of the AAX Praise and Worship pack but i'm not sure. I play various styles from jazz through to drum 'n' bass so it's a diffficult decision to make. Thanks for any advice you may have :)

Mapex----Maniac

Well I'll be the first one to say it: Buy used!

Pick out each cymbal you want individually used and you will have a much happier wallet and you will have each exact cymbal you want. Nothing against this zildjian k pack, but what if you don't like one or to of the cymbals in the pack?

Also if you played them individually and you liked them then you'll probably like them as a set too.

But in your situation It makes more sense to buy used

Unless you really liked everything in the zildjian k pack

whatsam

Hahaha, yeah someone had to say it. I really do love all the cymbals but your right second hand is a good idea. I looked but could never quite find the cymbals I wanted. I'm also wondering what people think of the sabian pack. I was certain of the zildjians until I saw that, i've played all the cymbals minus the splash and they're great (if a little bright for me) but they seem more diverse, any advice?

K.Howden

This is just a personal opinion but I think it would be easier to get away with darker cymbals in DnB than it is to get away with brighter cymbals in jazz. I even find hearing darker cymbals in situations where you expect to find brighter ones is actually a refreshing change but not so much the other way round. An example would be Thomas Haake from Meshuggah; he plays metal, a genre sterotypically dominated by brighter cymbal sounds.

Just as I've been typing I had a thought, Jojo Mayer plays both DnB and Jazz with dark cymbals, so you'd be in company if you went for that choice!

Hope you're well,

Kev

jt.mcrae

I'd also recommend buying used as well as the Ks over the bright AAXs for all the above mentioned reasons

whatsam

Thanks again for all the advice. I'm so glad someone mentioned Jojo Mayer as thats what i'm trying to achieve, I love what he does with the omni's and nerve just has the best sound. I also think the K's are a great price at £699 for a set that contains zildjian k hats
(£364 alone).

Toolate

Platinum Member
I was going to buy a pack and it seemed like the best deal out there was on the HHX Evolutions- I tried them in the store and they sounded good to me.

Just thought I would mention....

whatsam

Yeah they do look good, and again a nice price for the pack. I am also looking at the Arena mix (combination of aax and hhx)...? Haha it's such a tough choice, i've played most of these cymbals and they're all good :)