Zildjian K Custom 20" Ride - Is this a good price?

ZootELoops

Hi, I am going to check out a 20" K Custom ride tonight. It is 3 years old but in perfect condition. The guy is asking $175. Is this a good price?

Second, I do not yet have my new A Custom HH and 18 A Custom Fast Crash to pair it with - so how will the K ride sound with these? I play mostly rock/alternative grunge.

Ian Ballard

Silver Member
Hi, I am going to check out a 20" K Custom ride tonight. It is 3 years old but in perfect condition. The guy is asking $175. Is this a good price?

Second, I do not yet have my new A Custom HH and 18 A Custom Fast Crash to pair it with - so how will the K ride sound with these? I play mostly rock/alternative grunge.
That's not bad. I payed about $200 for my K Custom Dry in 1996 (which itself had been sitting in the showroom for 5 years or so), so with inflation and rising copper prices, it's a good deal, in my opinion.

Most cast cymbals sound good together, since they have more of an "organic" tonality. If you mix B8/B12 sheet bronze with cast, then you run into problems.

K Custom rides are very dry and pingy and have a muted "crash" sound. You really have to beat the heck out of them to open up the crash sound. But they have awesome definition and work good for everything from jazz to heavy metal. I've used my K Custom Dry for every style of music I've played since I got it: Metal, grunge, jazz, fusion, ska, reggae, folk, pop... etc. Very versatile.

ZootELoops

Most cast cymbals sound good together, since they have more of an "organic" tonality. If you mix B8/B12 sheet bronze with cast, then you run into problems.
Yeah, I'm thinking I'll replace all of my XS20s this holiday season. I've already replaced the HH with mastersounds and I added the 18 fast crash - so I still need to swap out the ride (perhaps with this K custom) and then figure out what I want to do with my 16 XS20 (if I will just get another 16 A or K custom).. not sure.

Vintagedrummer

K Customs come in several types. Medium, Dry, Rock, Heavy & Dark to mention a few. Also you have two basic timelines. Those made in the original K Custom factory (now Sabian's) & those made here in the US.

All are great just be sure what you are buying before plunking down any cash. My personal preference is the K Custom Dark ride in any vintage. Hope that helps!

Peace