Zildjian K 18” Dark Crash-Warped

acsunda

So as a follow up to my post the other day, I received the cymbal I ordered. Now I know why it was such a good deal. As for the sound, it sounds kinda dead. I’m probably gonna return it. 42FB9A89-FDE7-4425-8F8E-411DD88E658B.jpeg

C.M. Jones

Yeah I have a few others bookmarked. I’m intrigued by a 20” Zildjian S crash. I’m also looking at a 16” Paiste rude crash/ride that looks like fun.
Get the Zildjian S. My entire setup consists of S's right now -- hi-hat, ride, and crashes. They're very versatile, at once bold and mellow. You'll be happily surprised, guaranteed.

I have 16", 17", and 18" crashes, all thin. The medium thins are a tad too heavy for me.

acsunda

Get the Zildjian S. My entire setup consists of S's right now -- hi-hat, ride, and crashes. They're very versatile, at once bold and mellow. You'll be happily surprised, guaranteed.

I have 16", 17", and 18" crashes, all thin. The medium thins are a tad too heavy for me.
Duly noted, thanks! I’ve heard really good things about them, but I’ve also heard some people write them off as “too intermediate”.

C.M. Jones

Duly noted, thanks! I’ve heard really good things about them, but I’ve also heard some people write them off as “too intermediate”.
Ignore the "intermediate" babble. In a NAMM presentation, a Zildjian representative himself stated that the S Family is a pro-quality line. Some drummers just can't seem to wrap their minds around the fact that Zildjian has finally produced a high-quality sheet cymbal, which is exactly what Paiste has been doing for the last sixty years. S's are great. I've owned sets of As and Ks as well, and I'm playing S's by choice. They get my highest recommendation.

C.M. Jones

Sweet, I think I’ll definitely check out that 20” crash. Thanks!
Check out this video from the Bonzoleum guy, an authority on all things Bonham and a staunch champion of Paiste. He reviews the Zildjian S 20" Thin Crash and is highly impressed by it.

Peedy

Ignore the "intermediate" babble. In a NAMM presentation, a Zildjian representative himself stated that the S Family is a pro-quality line. Some drummers just can't seem to wrap their minds around the fact that Zildjian has finally produced a high-quality sheet cymbal, which is exactly what Paiste has been doing for the last sixty years. S's are great. I've owned sets of As and Ks as well, and I'm playing S's by choice. They get my highest recommendation.
Well, yeah. That’s his job to say that.

Peedy

It's not his job to make false claims about his company's product lines. I very much doubt he'd refer to Zildjian's Planet Z series as professional.
That’s because it’s too much of a stretch. Those guys are salespeople plain and simple.

Peedy

You could call their headquarters and file a complaint.
C.M., you take the Zildjian S series WAAAAY to personally. You don't need to be their evangelist, and I'm not dissing Zildjian's sales methods. I'm just stating facts.

As for the sound, I sold a 1970s A. Zildian crash that I thought sounded horrid. It was an in person sale here in L.A. to a guy who was the second coming of Sid Vicious. He acted like it was the most beautiful thing he had ever heard. That's a stretched example and I don't think S series cymbals sound "horrid" but it just goes to show that different drummers have their own personal (and sometimes evolving) understanding of what a cymbal should sound like.

Pete

C.M. Jones

C.M., you take the Zildjian S series WAAAAY to personally. You don't need to be their evangelist, and I'm not dissing Zildjian's sales methods. I'm just stating facts.

As for the sound, I sold a 1970s A. Zildian crash that I thought sounded horrid. It was an in person sale here in L.A. to a guy who was the second coming of Sid Vicious. He acted like it was the most beautiful thing he had ever heard. That's a stretched example and I don't think S series cymbals sound "horrid" but it just goes to show that different drummers have their own personal (and sometimes evolving) understanding of what a cymbal should sound like.

Pete
Nothing personal in the least on my end. Ascunda was toying with the idea of getting an S crash. I encouraged him to do it. That Zildjian considers the S Family suitable for professional application (and we can debate all day and lose our minds over the interpretation of "professional") is a fact as well. But even if they didn't, the quality of the product remains the same. May each player decide for himself.

C.M. Jones

I actually just bought it 😂 . I was really tempted with the Zildjian S crash (sorry @C.M. Jones), but there's just something about Paiste Rudes that call to me. Plus I think it will be a cool little catch-all cymbal to have on my little compact kit.
No apologies needed. I don't get commission when Zildjian sells an S, though I probably should. I hope the Paiste Rude works out for you.