Zildjian FX stack - rusting really easily?

Durbs

I picked up a 10" FX stick, sound works well for me, the mount is great too.

My issue is I've had it less than a year, and it's already looking very patina'd and the grey underside actually looks rusty. It's not got wet, not cleaned, I've obviously touched it and held it, but I don't think I have particularly "wet" hands. Have I got a duff set, or does anyone else have this issue?

On the grey underside, they definitely look fingerprint size, but I touch all my cymbals and none of them insta-rust.

IMG_20201230_115010.jpgIMG_20201230_115034 (2).jpgIMG_20201230_115027 (2).jpgIMG_20201230_115016 (2).jpg

iCe

Looks like picking them up with sweaty hands? I had those on my cymbals as well and i always give them a quick rinse with some cloth after rehearsal.

Durbs

Could well be - I'm not particularly sweaty, but even so - I don't touch them any more/less than my other cymbals. I'd expect finger marks, but actual rust is what I find surprising...

Could well be - I'm not particularly sweaty, but even so - I don't touch them any more/less than my other cymbals. I'd expect finger marks, but actual rust is what I find surprising...
Pssst. I uhh, hate to have to tell ya, but umm, ah well, it's probably just some lighting illusion you know. Damned digital cameras likely...
But if it isn't... Come here, I don't wanna say this so everyone can hear but dang it if don't look like one of 'ems been plugged fulla HOLES! Ever notice that before?Huh, weirdest thing...

SomeBadDrummer

I’ll probably get all kinds of pushback for saying this, but have you tried some lightweight oil such as WD40 with a soft cotton cloth?

someguy01

Looks like the fingerprints I leave sometimes. Turning a wrench for 30 years has embedded grease and oil in my fingers and sometimes I leave an oily fingerprint. You can actually see one on my 10" tom head in my POV pic.
Try some mild dish soap and a soft toothbrush.

roncadillac

I had the 10, 12, and 16. All of them did that. The top cymbal is brass and the bottom is cold rolled steel, neither are very rust resistant. Try cleaning it with oxiclean.