Zildjian Avedis cymbals

Pootle

Does anybody own or have experience with this line of cymbals? How do they compare to the normals As or Ks? I’ve listened to sound demos but haven’t had a chance to try any in person. Would probably be looking at the hihats, 18in and 22in. Currently own As quick beats, a number of thin, medium thin As of varying ages, medium and sweet ride. Thanks in advance.

STAXfan

I have a set of the Avedis cymbals and I love them. I have 22 and 20in Ride, 19 and 18 Crash and 14HHs The 22" Ride is my favorite. One of the best sounding rides I've ever played. The thing that surprised me the most about these cymbals is the tone they have. The 22" Ride and the 14" Hats are very mellow sounding. And the Ride has great stick definition for a mellow sounding cymbal. My next favorite is the 19" Crash. You can ride on it until you can get a wonderful washy crash. The 14 HHats also have a very mellow sound, but can be played very hard and are very loud for thin cymbals. The most unusual thing about the 22" and 14" cymbals is the patina on them. They really look like 30 year old cymbals. That's pretty cool for brand new cymbals. I'm saving up for a new DW kit that I need so I can leave my kit at our band's practice space. I have a set of Zildjian K Sweets as well as the Avedis Zildjians. I have to sell one set to get money for the drum kit I want. I'm going to keep the K Sweets because they are the more versatile. If you get to the point where you are interested in the Avedis I will probably be listing them here.

Last edited:

Pootle

Thanks so much for your reply, most appreciated. Interesting that you are planning to sell the full set, would you not keep the hats or ride or do you not think it would blend with other Zildjian lines?

mikyok

Platinum Member
They sound like nice old aged As and just like old As they're all slightly different.

If you want that sound but don't want to wait 40 or 50 years to get it, try some out.

I'd put them inbetween Ks and As but I blend them both anyway.

gdmoore28

Gold Member
I've played only the 22" ride that our local GC has, and I've fallen head over heels for it, as I've reported here on this forum.

This particular Avedis has what I consider near perfect presentation: a lovely wash with absolutely no discernable dominant frequencies, and a ping that rides just above the wash. This results in a beautiful support for a driving chorus with the ping marking the time and the wash supporting pattern.

Unfortunately, this cymbal lives on the rich side of the tracks from me. $400+ for a new ride cymbal on a Social Security income is a luxury that lies far beyond my meager abilities!

GeeDeeEmm

Pootle

This particular Avedis has what I consider near perfect presentation: a lovely wash with absolutely no discernable dominant frequencies, and a ping that rides just above the wash. [/QUOTE]

Amazing, you should work in marketing if you don’t :) Reaches for credit card and phone...