Zildjian A391 Set... what cymbal next ?

Schlep

Hi all -

I use the Zildjian A391 Set (below) with a Yamaha Tour Custom kit (10/12/14/14sn/20). Style... jazz, blues, light and medium rock.

Considering the cymbals below, what non-special effect cymbal is a natural fit / addition ? As always, trying to maintain versatility.
  • 14" New Beat Hi-Hats
  • 16" Medium Thin Crash
  • 21" Sweet Ride
  • 18" Medium Thin Crash

Thanks

Craig

Morrisman

Platinum Member
Maybe a heavier Ride for those times when you need some Ping.
eg a Ping Ride or a Medium Ride.

Reactions: TJK

C.M. Jones

I think a 17" crash would be a nice addition. Alternatively, since your crashes are medium-thin, you could get an 18" thin. You could even just get an identical 18" medium-thin. No two Zildjian As sound alike.

KamaK

Platinum Member
I use the Zildjian A391 Set (below) with a Yamaha Tour Custom kit (10/12/14/14sn/20). Style... jazz, blues, light and medium rock.

Considering the cymbals below, what non-special effect cymbal is a natural fit / addition ? As always, trying to maintain versatility.

There is a distinction between the verbs ride/crash/accent/efx, and the adjectives cymbal manufacturers use to market their cymbals. So ask yourself what verb you are missing, and choose a cymbal that fits. Are you missing an accent or dissatisfied with the accents you possess? Consider a splash/china. Need some long-duration ambiance? Consider rivets or a chain. Etc

With the cymbals you have, there's nothing that you're really missing from the foundation.

Perhaps you might consider auditioning a set of K-Sweet for a change of scenery?

charliedrummer

I purchased the A391 pack two years ago and followed up with a 17" A medium thin crash that fits nicely into the mix. At some point I'd like to add a china cymbal but otherwise, what I have right now covers all bases.

wildbill

Platinum Member
I like rides, so I'd go for another ride cymbal of a different flavor. YMMV

I've got crashes, but never use them. If I was playing gigs, I'd probably throw one crash into the mix.

Pootle

I didn’t get on with the 16 Medium Thin so replaced it with a 17 Thin. Also tend to use an 18 EFX instead of the 18 Medium Thin giving me a very flexible setup.

iCe

Two crashes, a ride and hi hats... That's pretty much THE essential set up in my mind. I know you said "no special effects" but to me this is exactly where I'd add in a China cymbal. A 20" China Low would fit in perfectly with the rest of that set up.

I agree. Too bad Zildjian doesn't make the 20" anymore and only the 18" is available. I own that one and it's a pretty nice china! Used that one for years before i started using a Novo China, but i'm trailing off...

Back to topic... considering what you play i would add a 14" A Fast Crash. The 18" crash and the crashable Sweet Ride will give you a powerful crash sound. The 16" i assume is your main and the 14" A Fast Crash is a nice option if you want a more subtle crash sound.

Personally... i'd go for a china and/or a splash.

harryconway

Platinum Member

• 14" New Beat Hi-Hats
  • 16" Medium Thin Crash
  • 21" Sweet Ride
  • 18" Medium Thin Crash
20" medium crash. I like 3 crashes.

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
I agree. Too bad Zildjian doesn't make the 20" anymore and only the 18" is available. I own that one and it's a pretty nice china! Used that one for years before i started using a Novo China, but i'm trailing off...

That is too bad! I've tried a lot of different Chinese cymbals and I've always liked the sound of the bigger ones more. My 20" China Boy Low has served me well for a long time...

iCe

I believe the Sabian 20" Paragon China is based on it since Neil Peart used a 20" China Low for years, so that's also an option if brand doesn't matter ;)

Schlep

I believe the Sabian 20" Paragon China is based on it since Neil Peart used a 20" China Low for years, so that's also an option if brand doesn't matter ;)
No allegiance : ) Bought all Zidjians because they were part of a pack. Good pricing that way. The Set is pretty versatile.

iCe

No allegiance : ) Bought all Zidjians because they were part of a pack. Good pricing that way. The Set is pretty versatile.

I bought the same set in 2011. Replaced the crashes with a K and a K Custom, but still am using the hats and ride because they're just that good!

johnjssmith

10" or 12" splash, can't believe nobody mentioned those, they're great for accents and funny passages, especially when you're playing lighter music and they can be easily mounted upside down on a ride.
One of those and/or a light 20 or 22" crash to use as big crash for the rockier stuff and second/left-side ride for the lighter stuff.

Your setup is already pretty versatile though, and I wouldn't feel seriously out of place at any gig with it.