Zildjian A Custom vs Avedis Zildjian A Custom

bud7h4

Silver Member
Could someone please explain to me the difference(s) between a modern A custom crash and a modern A custom crash with the Avedis label?

Edit: is that just two versions of the company logo and nothing more?

Last edited:

Rock Salad

For one they look different. I don't really know but, the Avedis I have seen were outstanding in an old school way.

C.M. Jones

The A Custom series is bright and glassy.

By the "Avedis signature," are you referring to Zildjian's A Avedis line, the one with a patina finish? If so, that species has a mellower, darker sound.

Only three categories exist in the A Family: A, A Custom, and A Avedis.

bud7h4

Silver Member
The A Custom series is bright and glassy.

By the "Avedis signature" are you referring to Zildjian's A Avedis line, the one with a patina finish? If so, that species has a mellower, darker sound.
My mistake, nevermind the "signature", those were the original line with his actual sig on them. I just meant the Avedis "label" on the A Custom line. I added pics to the OP.

Only three categories exist in the A Family: A, A Custom, and A Avedis.
So the "Avedis" above the Zildjian logo probably simply another version of the company logo.

Last edited:

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
I believe the changes in logos have to do with trademark protection but I don't think there is any difference in the cymbals themselves.

C.M. Jones

My mistake, nevermind the "signature", those were the original line with his actual sig on them. I just meant the Avedis "label" on the A Custom line. I added pics to the OP.

So the "Avedis" above the Zildjian logo probably simply another version of the company logo.
Got it. I will say that I like the bright focus of A Customs a lot. The dark trashiness of Ks just doesn't do it for me.

bud7h4

Silver Member
Why would they call a product that is not custom-made the 'Custom'?
Are you confusing custom made with custom tailored?
Both A and K Customs have a different look and sound characteristics than other As and Ks. I'm not sure what the "custom" refers to specifically though. Probably lathing / hammering.

Last edited:

Peedy

Here's a video of a guy unboxing a few Avedis cymbals if you want to oggle a little bit.

There were designed to recapture the sounds of the jazz era Zildjians. So they should be darker and have a bit of individuality to them. Other than that, don't know. I've never laid a stick on one.

Pete

Peedy

And check out this video. It features a drummer jamming on every Zildjian line from 2016 including the Avedis (1:45 to 2:15).

Owning and playing jazz age cymbals, I would say none of their lines matches up. They're just different animals. Maybe the Kerope or K.Zildjian lines are similar. But I'm guessing its only because they're lighter generally and have odd hammering patterns like the old ones.

Pete

Peedy

Cold someone please explain to me the difference(s) between a modern A custom crash and a modern A custom crash with the Avedis label?

Edit: is that just two versions of the company logo and nothing more?

See above video

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
One thing that makes this terribly confusing is the logo. It used to be where the only cymbals that used the big cursive-looking "A" was used on A Customs only. Now, you have to look closer to see if you are getting an A Custom or just an A cymbal, but usually the finish gives it away.

Seafroggys

Silver Member
A Customs are shimmery, A's are a more classic sound.

A Customs came out in the 90's, they're basically the Vinnie Colaiuta Signature Cymbal. A's have been in continual production since the 20's (whenever Zildjian started machine hammering) but they've changed and evolved over time, but still having a classic sound. The new(er) Avedis line tries to reproduce what the A's sounded like in the 60's.

Bonzo_CR

Silver Member
The logo with the "avedis" next to the zildjian logo signals that the cymbal was made pre-2013. In 2013 they redesigned both lines and removed the "avedis" part of the logo.
I believe this is the answer that the OP was looking for.
The two pictured cymbals are the same line, it's just a change in graphics they made during the timeline.

It occurs to me that it could be quite confusing if you haven't been watching all the changes over the years!

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
I agree Zildjian has done a terrible job keeping their lines distinct.

I think it started when they added the "Avedis" to the main Zildjian logo (I feel like that happened in the 90s?). So now you could have two identical cymbals in both the A and A Custom lines with and without the Avedis in the logo.

Then they dropped the Avedis from the logo, but introduced an entire line of cymbals called Avedis separate and distinct from both the A and A Custom lines, even though the "A" stood for Avedis all along.

Then they started using the "big A" logo from the A Custom line on the 2013+ A line...

Plus the Armand line, that got folded into the regular A line later on, so now you have A Armand cymbals...

And the A. Zildjian and Cie. that (as I recall) were their previous attempt at replicating the older hand hammered A cymbals from the past...

I don't even think that's all of the wacky things they've done, but those came to mind from just the last 25-ish years.

RickP

Gold Member
When the A Custom line first came out they were wonderful cymbals , very thin , warm and classy sounding . Very different from what was out there at the time . Sadly Zildjian decided to make them thicker ( due to warranty replacement fears I assume ) and they have lost the wonderful qualities that made them unique . The new ones are not bad cymbals they just aren’t the same sounding cymbals as the original runs .

bud7h4

Silver Member
When the A Custom line first came out they were wonderful cymbals , very thin , warm and classy sounding . Very different from what was out there at the time . Sadly Zildjian decided to make them thicker ( due to warranty replacement fears I assume ) and they have lost the wonderful qualities that made them unique . The new ones are not bad cymbals they just aren’t the same sounding cymbals as the original runs .
I don't know if I've heard the original ones before but I love the newer ones. I just bought a 17 and 18 crash based on demos I had listened to online, and they sound far better than I even expected. A great balance between cutting and pleasant sounding. They're bright yet somehow warm. There's a beautiful ringing tone yet just enough dryness to eliminate and gongy sound or harsh overtones.