Zildjian 16” K light hats.

TheJarvis

I’ve had these for a while and as much they are nice for a main hat 16’s are just a little big for me.

Having gone through a few sets of hats I keep coming to the Meinl 14” Greb Sand Hats.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
All I’ve been using now for the past three years have been two 17” Zildjian A Thin Crashes paired as my hats. I have a hard time going back to smaller now.

Trip McNealy

Gold Member
Funny how you think the 16" K Lights are big! I own the same pair (along with the 14" version) and the 16's are THE BEST hats I have ever owned, both playability and sound. Like Steve Jordan (and Bo) for example, I have finally found my personal journey to favor 16" hats in any setup I play. Anything else feels like splash cymbals lol!

mikyok

Platinum Member
If they're anything bloke the 15s don't get rid of em.

Best hats I've ever owned. So versatile

556Cliff

My 18" hi-hats won't allow me to go any smaller than 16"... ;) I kind of think 17" would be perfect, but I love my 18" hats so much that I don't know when I'll ever get around to trying 17" hats.

If I ever get some 17" hi-hats I want what Steve Jordan has... Those sound like magic to my ears.

Last edited:

Skyking

The K's sounded ok but then again even an oatmeal box can be made to sound good with the right mike. Now to the point... back in the day when I was a young Air Force pilot the size of our wrist watches kept growing bigger and bigger. It was just a macho thing. It was almost as if to say unless you had a big watch on your wrist you weren't cool. Somehow I can't help but think 'this' isn't all just about the sound. Just one guys opinion.

556Cliff

The K's sounded ok but then again even an oatmeal box can be made to sound good with the right mike. Now to the point... back in the day when I was a young Air Force pilot the size of our wrist watches kept growing bigger and bigger. It was just a macho thing. It was almost as if to say unless you had a big watch on your wrist you weren't cool. Somehow I can't help but think 'this' isn't all just about the sound. Just one guys opinion.
That is likely true to some degree for some people. Though to me it's more about how the big hi-hats sound and feel than anything else, but there are a lot of songs where the big 16", 17" and 18" inch hi-hats just don't sound crisp or bright enough.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
When going to 16, 17, 18" hats, do y'all find that the pedal response of the stand gets wonky? Like do they open slower or close faster? Just been curious about this. I've been thinking about going bigger in order to get the hats closer without having to rearrange my setup or buy a remote hat.

Peedy

Following up on my own question: I found this pair of K Light Hi Hats on Youtube weighing in at 1267g for the top cymbal and 1616g for the bottom. Bo's ways are mesmerizing and I feel the need to try some larger hi hats. . . must . . . play . . . 16's . . .

BUT, the two I'm thinking about using have a combined weight of 1712 grams, about the weight of the K "light"'s bottom. Hmmmmm. . .

ineedaclutch

Platinum Member
My 16" hats are a Zildjian A Thin Crash over an A Medium Thin Crash weighing 1114 and 1182 respectively. I love them.

Peedy

Mine weigh 836 and 876 respectively. Both are 16in A. Zildjian trans stamp crashes. I'll probably try them tomorrow using the "heavier" one as the top as I have a Yamaha clutch that can handle the smaller diameter hole. We shall see.

As near as I can figure, it's the equivalent of playing 14in HHs that weigh around 550 to 600 grams each.

Pete

556Cliff

When going to 16, 17, 18" hats, do y'all find that the pedal response of the stand gets wonky? Like do they open slower or close faster? Just been curious about this. I've been thinking about going bigger in order to get the hats closer without having to rearrange my setup or buy a remote hat.
I have my 18" hats on a DW 9000 hi-hat stand and I did end up having to tighten the tension since I was transitioning from 16" hats. Though going from 16" to 18" the response difference between the two wasn't unbearably wonky once the tension was adjusted. And any little differences in playability were pretty easily overcome after a while playing on them.

In the beginning I went from 14" hats to 16 hats on a different (really crappy) hi-hat stand, but I don't remember feeling much of a difference between those two.

Last edited:

Jbravo

I went 14”zildjian, then 15” Dream, 16” K’s, then tried an 18” Paiste big beat over a cut down sabian. I missed the big beat as a crash, so I bought a PST 18 med crash to replace it on the hats. Then I decided to buy PST7 16” med and thin crashes for hats. I liked them, but missed the size of the 18”.

So I bought a PST7 18” thin to go with the med I already had. And that’s where I’m at.

I use the 18”s in the normal position, and the 16” on the right. I also cut 4 1” holes in the bottom cymbals like the old quick beats.

They both sound really well blended both pitch and volume wise with my other cymbals, which are Paiste 18,20,21 and 24 Big Beats, an 18” Wuhan China, and a 12” Wuhan splash

The 16”K’s were the prettiest hats I’ve ever heard on their own, but we’re a bit too polite and understated in the mix of my others.

And with all the changes I didn’t run into any trouble being able to adjust my stand for them, and noticed little difference except between 14and 18.

My hihat stand is a newer Ludwig Atlas Standard, which is a great stand, but not super heavy duty.