Zildjian 14.25 Hybrid Hats vs Zildjian 13” K/Z Special Hats

Which one?

• Zildjian 13” K/Z Hihat

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Zildjian 14 1/4” Hybrid Hihat

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

medievalpig3

I just bought a new set and am looking to buy some new hi-hats. I’ve been stuck between the Zildjian K/Z’s and 14.25 (14 1/4”) hi-hats for a day now and need help deciding! I’m wondering if the great people on this forum could give me there input, feelings, and pros/cons with these hats. thanks :)

HeavyDrums

What kind of music are you wanting to play? That will affect the answers you get. I have a 13" pair of K/Z specials that I dig for funk and soul, very quick hats, great K tone. However, I'm currently looking for a second set of 14" or 15" rock hats for a heavy rock gig I'm doing. Best of luck!

medievalpig3

What kind of music are you wanting to play? That will affect the answers you get. I have a 13" pair of K/Z specials that I dig for funk and soul, very quick hats, great K tone. However, I'm currently looking for a second set of 14" or 15" rock hats for a heavy rock gig I'm doing. Best of luck!
I’m looking to play anything from Rnb to
Jazz or funk or vulfpeck type beats maybe even just acoustical songs

Tommy_D

Platinum Member
Are the 14 1/4 hats the K Custom hybrids? Honestly, the k/z are a bit of a niche set of hats. Very punchy, bright and crisp. They may be really good for DnB or funk but absolutely fail for jazz or acoustic gigs. I don't recall the sound of the K Custom Hybrids but they are probably a better all-rounder type of hats than k/z hats.

Row

I would go for Hybrids out of those two. K mastersound hats sound good to me as well.

Durbs

Are the 14 1/4 hats the K Custom hybrids? Honestly, the k/z are a bit of a niche set of hats. Very punchy, bright and crisp. They may be really good for DnB or funk but absolutely fail for jazz or acoustic gigs. I don't recall the sound of the K Custom Hybrids but they are probably a better all-rounder type of hats than k/z hats.
Aye - as an owner of some 13" K Dark/Z Custom hats, this is on the money. They're great for tight, funky stuff - but aren't ideal in a lot of other situations; in particular jazz, acoustic or even rock.

They're also very hard to off-load because of this, as I've found as I'm wanting to move to something more general, but no-one wants them!

HeavyDrums

For what it's worth, I just traded my 13" K/Zs for 14" A Mastersounds. The clarity and extra projection are just what I was missing. Plus, as mentioned earlier, these will cover a wider musical spectrum.