Zero Confidence now...

Bradastronaut

So i got a kit a few months back, a nice tama imperialstar hyperdrive.
But i got it during the summer holidays a week before going back to college, after spending about 4 months without a kit after my old electronic broke and i waited for a refund, well now im back at college ive spent about another 3 months without playing this kit. So about half a year without playing a kit has made me feel like the worst drummer ever. I cant play half the stuff i used to be able to, and even then i can only play it for like 30 seconds before my sticks fly out of my hand or something (usualy left hand). And dont get my started on how TERRIBLE my rhythm is now, straight eighths sound so uneven and sloppy, not to mention each hit is a completely different dynamic level than the other. I cannot play a single song without my wrist giving in and feeling like im lifting a tonne of weight (and this isnt even with fast songs, even just playing elliott smith songs it kills, i even lose time and my fills completely suck). I have still had kit time during this, but literally only around half an hour a week max.

Bearing in mind, 7 months ago i could breeze through an ataris or bad religion song without breaking sweat, pretty high tempo songs, and even adding my own little fills and ideas where i thought the original drum track was lacking! I would always be right in time and hardly made a mistake while playing these songs.

To make things worse the band i was in half a year ago have just found some practice space to start things off again. I DREAD the first practice next week when they see im nowhere near the drummer i was :(

Has anyone else here encountered these problems after a while off the kit?
Is there anything i can do to develop my skill quickly :( big question i know but im just wanna develop a good pop punk/ punk rock style, a lot of people say these arent realy difficult genres once you get your speed up, while its not the only genres i listen to, its the style that got me into drumming and the only genre i show interest in actualy playing :p (other than drum and bass), if there are any forum posts that someone can point me to it would be HUGELY appreciated, im getting desperate :(

Would i benefit from going back to the very basics?
Thanks all! :)

Thought id point out i have a massive amount of spare time left open for practice pad practice aswell! so im hoping i can develop a lot of what is needed on this :p

funkytomtom

I would definitely say work your pad. You'll probably be surprised how quickly your chops come back if you really make a point of putting in some serious time on your practice facilitating stick rebounder (pad).

That being said...don't give up! We all have times when we're off, be it one gig, one week, one month, or a whole year. Music, however, is a lifelong journey, don't let a little bump in the road get to you too much. Good luck!

Bradastronaut

Hey thanks man! :D
Im deffo seeing the good side in this more than anything, a fresh-ish start, good opportunity to learn new stuff and avoid bad habits ect. Although i started late im having fun playing even when im doing awful!
Any good routines you can recommend for me ? thanks!

Swiss Matthias

Platinum Member
Look at it this way: Even the worlds greatest drummers are going to the basics in their practice time on and on. The basics are the basics :).

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
In late 2006 I got a call from a friend pleading for me to help out with the band of a friend of his. Their usual drummer had stormed out in a huff before the rehearsal and they were in a room, ready to play but no drummer.

I hadn't touched a stick in anger since early 1998 and didn't want to do it and make a fool of myself, but he was pushy and I gave in.

As I drove over there I was telling myself "Okay, you won't be able to do most of what you used to do ... DON'T try to be fancy, just play dead simple and hold it together".

So I only played lines that were simple and didn't push it. The band - who were sloppy as hell - loved me and much preferred me to their usual drummer because I was (relatively) tight.

Moral of the story: if you're rusty keep it simple, don't expect to be able to pull off any flash, and have fun settling into simple grooves that feel fairly comfortable.

From that basic point, you can gradually ease into the normal drummer state of pushing your boundaries inch by inch and a self image that ranges from "I'm so crap" to "hey, I'm gettin' good", depending on yesterday's session :)

barryabko

I would suggest stretching really well before sitting down to play. That will probably help with the cramping and should minimize droping your stick.

Hang in there!

Barry

KingBeastie

Just try and enjoy your drumming, you know yourself that it's only 'cos you are out of practice you feel like this.
Enjoy your self and you'll remember why you love playing and it'll be onwards and upwards from there.

Good luck and enjoy yourself!

specgrade

I stopped playing all together about 5 years ago when my son was born. This past Monday I decided to play for 1/2 hour everyday. Monday sucked hard. I couldn't remember changes in the songs I used to play in my sleep. Today was a whole lot better and I feel better than I did.

I understand where you are coming from, but don't base you ability on just a couple of times playing. It will come back and you'll be happy again. I know I am :)

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
I gave up playing for more than 20 years. I came back to it about 3 years ago. Gently at first, & now I'm at the stage were I can get through a gig without making a complete fool of myself. Time, perseverance, & making sure you have fun on the journey, are key elements.

toddy

Platinum Member
People usually know whats good for themselves, that you even brought it up means you should. Are you playing with a band too? You should hook up with a guitarist or bassist, that will help your playing tremendously.

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
Further to what Toddy said, I'm recommend going back to the very basics - that are fun.

When you first started playing drums there would have been this "wheeee!" feeling that was your first motivator. When re-starting, first thing is to tap back into that feeling. Do you remember when you first started locking into grooves and feeling the buzz?

Bradastronaut

Thank you guys all so much for you reasurance! :D
Ive started by listening to all the music which made me want to play the drums in the first place, the energy of the instrument that got me all stoked to play it. I know what it is i need to practice to get to where i want to be so i shouldnt have much trouble, im being rediculously thorough in what i need to play, got all the endurance excerisizes, beats, fills, books and everything organised in how i should practice, now its just getting them set out and working into a routine, i enjoy things more when organised haha :D
Got a guitarist whos a very close friend of mine, hes rediculously good, weve always wanted to start a band, and have always enjoyed jamming together, i think we lock in pretty well, i just need to get my confidence up a bit more for me to think im good enough to be his drummer :p we have practice rooms booked every other week and im hoping to go to my first practice with him and an awesome bassist we know in four weeks time! looking forward to it :D Ill keep it simple and wont try anything i cant play :)

Specgrade your story made me happy i wasnt the only one in this situation, its totally awesome that you are happy with your progress, especialy after only a day! haha

My pad time will be well spent! I have the books, stick control and accents and rebounds (to build my chops) and a rediculous amount of other books, including extreme interdependence, jungle and drum and bass books, syncopation, new method for afro cuban drumming, linear time playing, realistic rock, the funky beat...and more i cant be bothered to name to keep me awake at night ;D

Spreggy

Silver Member
Practice slowly, let your nervous system reconnect to do the things it used to do. Play at the tempo that sounds like quality. Speed will come faster that way.
Good luck, welcome back to the set!

aaajn

Silver Member
It may actually mean you are getting ready for some big leap in skill. Seems like my big growth happens right after I struggle the most.

So i got a kit a few months back, a nice tama imperialstar hyperdrive.
But i got it during the summer holidays a week before going back to college, after spending about 4 months without a kit after my old electronic broke and i waited for a refund, well now im back at college ive spent about another 3 months without playing this kit. So about half a year without playing a kit has made me feel like the worst drummer ever. I cant play half the stuff i used to be able to, and even then i can only play it for like 30 seconds before my sticks fly out of my hand or something (usualy left hand). And dont get my started on how TERRIBLE my rhythm is now, straight eighths sound so uneven and sloppy, not to mention each hit is a completely different dynamic level than the other. I cannot play a single song without my wrist giving in and feeling like im lifting a tonne of weight (and this isnt even with fast songs, even just playing elliott smith songs it kills, i even lose time and my fills completely suck). I have still had kit time during this, but literally only around half an hour a week max.

Bearing in mind, 7 months ago i could breeze through an ataris or bad religion song without breaking sweat, pretty high tempo songs, and even adding my own little fills and ideas where i thought the original drum track was lacking! I would always be right in time and hardly made a mistake while playing these songs.

To make things worse the band i was in half a year ago have just found some practice space to start things off again. I DREAD the first practice next week when they see im nowhere near the drummer i was :(

Has anyone else here encountered these problems after a while off the kit?
Is there anything i can do to develop my skill quickly :( big question i know but im just wanna develop a good pop punk/ punk rock style, a lot of people say these arent realy difficult genres once you get your speed up, while its not the only genres i listen to, its the style that got me into drumming and the only genre i show interest in actualy playing :p (other than drum and bass), if there are any forum posts that someone can point me to it would be HUGELY appreciated, im getting desperate :(

Thanks all! :)

Thought id point out i have a massive amount of spare time left open for practice pad practice aswell! so im hoping i can develop a lot of what is needed on this :p