ZBT -> K series Custom Dark. What an upgrade!!!

GCRoberts

Just upgraded my Zildjian ZBT cymbals with Zildjian K Custom Dark. It's like going from getting a lap dance from the ugliest girl at a bargain basement strip club to banging the prom queen! Technically, I've never done either of those things, but you get the point. I used to dread hitting the cymbals, especially that tinny sounding ride. I bought the pack that contains a 14" hi-hat pair, 16" and 18" crashes, and 20" ride. My old cymbals (that came with the entry level Pearl SoundCheck kit) were a 13" hi-hat pair, 14" crash, and 18" ride. I've ordered another cymbal stand to hold the additional crash cymbal. Already finding that I want to practice longer! I highly recommend the K Custom Darks!!!

bud7h4

Silver Member
I bought that same set a few months ago after weeks of shopping around and listening to cymbals, and I love 'em. The hats in particularly sound perfect, although I like quite a few other hi-hats too. I'm always on the lookout for crash cymbals and have yet to hear anything I would replace these K Customs with. To me they sound completely devoid of any unpleasant overtones.

GCRoberts

I bought that same set a few months ago after weeks of shopping around and listening to cymbals, and I love 'em. The hats in particularly sound perfect, although I like quite a few other hi-hats too. I'm always on the lookout for crash cymbals and have yet to hear anything I would replace these K Customs with. To me they sound completely devoid of any unpleasant overtones.
I'm trying not to judge the hi hats yet. They seem to sound great, but I'm still using a cheap hi hat stand that are not smooth at all. Sometime next week my new DW 9000 series hi hat stand should arrive, then I should be able to hear them at their best!

lefty2

Platinum Member
Just upgraded my Zildjian ZBT cymbals with Zildjian K Custom Dark.
Man that's great I'm happy for you. I have two k's. 18 inch K dark medium thin and a 17in k custom dark crash. They're great

roncadillac

Just upgraded my Zildjian ZBT cymbals with Zildjian K Custom Dark. It's like going from getting a lap dance from the ugliest girl at a bargain basement strip club to banging the prom queen! Technically, I've never done either of those things, but you get the point. I used to dread hitting the cymbals, especially that tinny sounding ride. I bought the pack that contains a 14" hi-hat pair, 16" and 18" crashes, and 20" ride. My old cymbals (that came with the entry level Pearl SoundCheck kit) were a 13" hi-hat pair, 14" crash, and 18" ride. I've ordered another cymbal stand to hold the additional crash cymbal. Already finding that I want to practice longer! I highly recommend the K Custom Darks!!!

Dude, that opening analogy made me laugh so hard lol. I happen to enjoy my zbt 13" hats and I purchased them after owning new beats, sabian HH regulars, 10" special recording hats, and a few others in the past. To each their own however and you've got a great set of cymbals that should last your lifetime! I've been looking at the K dark and K session rides lately. I typically use an uptown ride and love it's qualities but sometimes I want a little 'more' out of it while staying in that same world in terms of sound and feel.

No Way Jose

Silver Member
I love the sound of K's but I put the ZBTs back on my kit. I was playing along with classic country music recordings and the ZBT sound matches better. K's are too dark sounding for that kind of music.

Besides, if I'm playing a jam session, I'm taking the cheap cymbals. No need to risk the good stuff.