Zappa's Laurel Canyon Home

MntnMan62

Well, it seems the offspring of the guy who produced such great albums as One Size Fits All, Roxy and Elsewhere, Hot Rats, Apostrophe, Overnight Sensation, Joe's Garage and others have sold their father's home complete with the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen. The buyer? Lady Gaga. I find this disturbing for several reasons. Clearly the kids have not been able to establish themselves in careers of their own to be able to retain the home amongst them. That by itself isn't all that unique however. But knowing that the home and studio of a guy who was so diametrically opposed to the corporate takeover of music has been sold to someone who is quite possibly the epitome of someone who is a product of that very establishment is hard to accept. This is just more bad news added onto the news of Chick Corea's untimely death.

Spreggy

Silver Member
It's not like they sold it to "The Weekend" or some other talent-lite pop autotunebot. LG, you have to admit, has shown an astounding amount of talent and range. I'm a diehard Z fan, but let's be honest he made a lot of money too. She's wacky enough that they may have gotten along well. Her freak-show nature of her earlier show was exactly the kind of vibe that got Frank to sign Alice Cooper.

Sakae2xBopster

Clearly the kids have not been able to establish themselves in careers of their own to be able to retain the home amongst them.
Well, Moon (now 53) has worked fairly regularly over the years, as has Dweezil. I don't know anything about the other 2. There is a complex trust document that governs the estate. I can fully understand that there may be very good reasons for them to sell the house.
I'd rather see it go to LG than a developer. One hopes she'll find a creative way to preserve his memory.

MntnMan62

I would say the work of Moon was sporadic. Dweezil really hasn't done much more than playing his father's music with ZPZ and it's varrious interations. Ahmet? I consider him a talentless blowhard. The Hologram Tour was ridiculously disappointing. The band was decent but I would say Scott Thunes is probably FZ's worst bassist ever. Haven't heard anything that Diva has done. I understand that all things must come to pass. And yes, I'm happier that it went to a musician who "may" appreciate the legacy that exists in that place. I'm just pointing out the irony involved with Zappa and corporate music culture. Of all the kids I think Dweezil was the most successful at finding a regular gig even if it meant attempting to repicate his father's music. Frankly, I felt that Dweezil was successful in putting a good band together that was able to do justice to his father's music. That Ahmet and Gail went after him was absolutely ridiculous. I guess many, if not most, families have their share of disfunction. I know mine does.

prokofi5

It’s just “stuff”...in the grand scheme of things it doesn’t matter...people matter... if my lad needs/wants to sell my junk when I’m gone I’m all for it!!:unsure:
Yup, it's not like they're doing anything weird with the catalog. I could care less who owns it, what his family does, etc. He is one of the greats, end of story.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
So kids are just supposed to keep their parent's stuff forever?

I'm sure before this article got published, near-zero Zappa fans even knew this house was still in the Zappa family.

I also fail to understand this fallacy that permeates our culture, in both entertainment and sports, that the children of someone's talents somehow automatically inherit that talent and must live up to that reputation. On the surface, it makes no sense, because if it was true, then Frank Zappa (or insert any other music or sports legend) should be no more or less talented than his own father was. Yet, being more talented than their parent is why they became famous.

It's the same baloney Jason Bonham has had to deal with, and the same baloney people throw at Wolfgang Van Halen.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Nice house. Wish there were more pictures of it.

As far as who owned or bought the house, I could care less. It's just a house.

Nice place.

I think that even if the beyond impossible were to happen and I ended up with Bill Gates-levels of money, I still wouldn't have white unholstered furniture. Too many years of child-rearing to not just tempt but guarantee fate for that to ever be a thing for me.

But my GOD the cymbal collection I'd amass...

MntnMan62

Yup, it's not like they're doing anything weird with the catalog. I could care less who owns it, what his family does, etc. He is one of the greats, end of story.

They still own the catalog. Gaga simply bought the house.

MntnMan62

You guys are aware she bought it in 2016 right?

Sorry guys and gals. I didn't bother to look at the date of the article. Old news. But my point about Gaga buying it still stands. It's just irony that I was pointing out. I don't have any skin in this game. The family can sell to whomever they wish. It doesn't matter that their father was in a constant battle with the large corporate music houses and that Gaga seems to be a product of the large music houses. Ironic. That's it.

someguy01

Dweezil and Ozzy covering the Bee Gees: priceless
Lady Gaga: actual musician, and hey, she was cool enough for Tony Bennet to record with.

Bozozoid

Was it just a house?..in the bitter end I understand that but is there no sentiment about where Frank lived..wrote music..felt happy about his living space sharing his life with people he was close to. Where a person dwelled is kind of a special thing. Who it is sold to is a concerning thing (to me). I'm overly sentimental..that might be a problem..sometimes you have to move on. I enjoyed reading the viewpoints to this. Life..and it's various angles happening on the forum here..love it.

CommanderRoss

Silver Member
So kids are just supposed to keep their parent's stuff forever?
I sure hope not. I hate it when my elderly parents give me gifts of knickknacks & tchotchkes then look for them when they come over. It's like the "Emily Gilmore syndrome" from Gilmore Girls. When the grandmother came to visit, Emily had to haul all the gifts her mom gave her out of the basement so the mom felt appreciated & loved.
Funk Dat!

It's the same baloney Jason Bonham has had to deal with, and the same baloney people throw at Wolfgang Van Halen.
Exactly! Yeah, they're talented but having to live under that star umbrella for the rest of your career would be hell.