Yuval Gabay

James Hart

Any other fans? He is in my top 5 drummers and one of the main reasons I recently took up drums (I'm a bassist since the 80s).

Benthedrummer

I've heard about him.

For some reason I thought he was Turkish, not Israeli.

He's been around for a long time.

Soul Coughing are one weird group.

James Hart

Turkey and Israel aren't that far from each other... so you were close. I searched him and only found my mention of him in my intro post. I love his spin on things.

Benthedrummer

Turkey and Israel aren't that far from each other... so you were close. I searched him and only found my mention of him in my intro post. I love his spin on things.

These obscure, under the radar drummers really do have exciting qualities.

The drummer from Morphine is another.

Yeah James, you are right about Yuval....... he's got a great and interesting perspective.

His 16th notes on the hats are killer!

Drumdame

Silver Member
Any other fans? He is in my top 5 drummers and one of the main reasons I recently took up drums (I'm a bassist since the 80s).

Definitely weird... whatever floats your boat.

Drummer_D

James Hart

Definitely weird... whatever floats your boat.

Drummer_D

Soul Coughing was a weird group... toxic personal relationships and borderline abuse in the end, or maybe just a lead singer unable to balance ego and insecurity. Yuval's style comes from outside the typical genres... I listen to him with the same ear I listen to music sung in languages I don't know. It seems to make for phrasings and melodies not typical in the stuff I regularly hear.

Benthedrummer

Hey James......you've got me interested in listening to more of their stuff.

Do you have any recommendations in terms of albums/singles which would be a good example of their music?

James Hart

They only have 3 releases... "Ruby Vroom", "Irresistible Bliss", and "El Oso"... There are only a couple tunes that I don't dig.

"How Many Cans", "Sleepless", and "Collapse" are some favorite deeper tracks from Irresistible Bliss...
the 3 tunes I posted are from Ruby Vroom...
There big hit "Circles" is on El Oso... I dig tracks like "Misinformed", "Maybe I'll Come Down" (first one I learned on Upright bass... Sebastian was my push to pick up an Upright too), "The Incumbent".