YouTube will destroy drumming!

You Tube is really a catch 22.

Everything has it's positives and it's negatives. I just try and avoid the negatives.

Very true. Really, the entire internet is a catch 22. However, I'll take the good with the bad if it means having an endless repository that isn't always censored to death and controlled by big corporate interests (yet). You could say the internet is the only thing out there that is truly of the people.

The internet (of which Youtube is one tiny part) is an incredibly powerful tool. I highly doubt one site out of millions and millions that has only been around for a blink of an eye in the time-line of history will destroy an artform like drumming that has been around for hundreds (thousands?) of years.

Very true. Really, the entire internet is a catch 22. However, I'll take the good with the bad if it means having an endless repository that isn't always censored to death and controlled by big corporate interests (yet). You could say the internet is the only thing out there that is truly of the people.

The internet (of which Youtube is one tiny part) is an incredibly powerful tool. I highly doubt one site out of millions and millions that has only been around for a blink of an eye in the time-line of history will destroy an artform like drumming that has been around for hundreds (thousands?) of years.

Like I said in my original post, the destroy drumming thing was a joke. I just mean that YouTube allows for a lot of misinformation being passed on, and artificial ego inflation.

In regards to education, I , too, feel that with SO much stuff out there, the amount if misinformation sometimes overtakes the good..Everyone is a clinician, and eeveryone is an expert because they learned it from their mothers uncle who studied with Joe Morello's nephew, if you know what I mean

The Andy Warhol concept is accurate..I just wish some peoples 15 minutes would be up already!

This is kind of what I was getting to. The people out there in the PROFESSIONAL world are there because they KNOW what is going on with our instrument. They have the knowledge to back up the advice they might offer, whereas a kid in his basement is just whacking off, and unless they are delivering something really fantastic or unique, most of what they have to offer is little more than a snapshot of where they are with their own drumming (and it's not usually very developed at that).

If I have something to post on YT or something like it, I'm damn sure going to make it something even Bozzio himself would like, and THAT'S the level of performance I'M aiming at.

I'm glad we all agree that the statement "Youtube will destroy Drumming" was meant tongue in cheek. I was really beginning to wonder what everybody was getting so wound up about. In this internet age it's just another tool of communication. I think alot of these folks video themselves drumming just as they would video themselves golfing, skateboarding or doing whatever it is they like to do. I think it's often just meant for their friends and they forget how many people have access to it. Youtube is not necessarily where I would think to go first to study ANYTHING (Although it can be darn entertaining and I have gotten some good info on rudiments, beginner that I am).

I first saw Buddy Rich play on YT so I think it's definitely a good thing. Also, anytime I notice my ego getting a little inflated about my own drumming, I just watch some Tony Royster Jr. videos from when he was around 12 years old, which I also first saw on YT. That puts things in perspective for me real quick.

I love YT personally. I don't waste my time watching videos from anyone that I know isn't good already. There's way too much stuff to learn from the great drummers out there to waste my time with anything else. :)

First of all, it's just a video. It's not like these guys are getting paid and working in the studio or touring with really famous musicians or anything. Second, they're just sharing with the world what they like to do, whether they are good or bad at it, which I think is cool. You don't have to be so ignorant because somebody is passionate about something and wants to further it. So I do not think youtube is really "destroying" drumming in an any matter at all.

Destroy drumming? Methinks not. Sure, every single Tom, Dick and Harry that posts there is doing it just for kicks, but to be perfectly honest, I'm a much better drummer TODAY because i found a couple drummers on YT (notably Derrick Pope, Mike Johnston) who were instrumental in me getting familiar with a few techniques.

Here's a well kept secret that i haven't seen yet on this post.

Make sure no one is looking

Ready??

Okay here it is.

Prepare yourself.

You can't handle the truth

YOU CAN NOW MAKE MONEY OFF OF YOUR ORIGINAL YOUTUBE VIDEO!!!

http://www.pcworld.com/article/170818/youtube_to_share_ad_revenue_with_users.html

BOOYAH!!!! TOLD YOU THAT YOU COULDN'T HANDLE IT!!!!

Okay, so what dat means? It means that if Mike Johnston or Cobus or Kimbo Slice posts up a vid that gets a million hits and YT enables them for revenue sharing, they will get paid.

You've seen that baby buffalo clip haven't you? The one where the baby water buffalo gets chased down into the river by a pride of lions, and then it gets chomped on by some crocs who are playing tug of war with the lions, then the big bulls show up like a Deus ex Machina and save baby buff from getting chomped? Guy who shot that had NO IDEA his video was generating hundreds of thousands of ad dollars for youtube until they told him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LU8DDYz68kM

46 MILLION HITS AND COUNTING!!!!!

PRACTICE YOUR CHOPS!!!
POST SOME AWESOME VIDS THAT GET HITS!!
GET PAID!!!

The thing that I like best about You Tube is that, Its All There! "The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly!" I love it all! Thats Entertainment!

I'm jumping on to this train kind of late, but this video reminds me of a lot of some drummers who have posted on Youtube... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taB3U0b9zdA

The internet's like that...it allows anyone to get published worldwide !

Back