Youtube test of my new Antonio True Solid snare

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Youtube est of my new Antonio True Solid snare

First off, congratulations on such a stunning looking drum, & having the balls to choose something away from standard offerings. Kudos to you!

As for sound, because you've added EQ, & the audio capture is via a close mic', it's difficult to really get a good overall impression. if you recorded this drum using a Zoom Q3 handicam or similar, it would offer a better benchmark for comparison.

The rimshots seem very tinny to me, so I assume you've added some higher frequency EQ. At the lower tunings especially, the snare wires seem very unresponsive at low dynamic. I suspect this is more to do with reso head tuning than anything else. Vertical grain solid shells, (either true solid or stave) should deliver an instant snare wire response at low dynamic, as they transfer vibrations from the batter edge to the reso super efficiently.

Overall, despite the recording method, I could immediately hear that lovely & quite dominant shell tone. Great drum choice, but I'd like to hear a more honest recording.

GrooveSuperfly

Hi.

I agree that its sound differnet. Shell sound is there, but snare/steiner buzz is disapeierd?!?!
Snare is accutoaly VERY VERY responsitiv, and you can blow life in to the strainer...

Could it have to to with that I dont have mic on reso side?

I use one SM 57 on top, and I didn´t pointet to the middle either. I see today in other video clip, that som says thats important?

I can upload the same, but without EQ, should that be better, since I do not have any Q3 camera. Or you mean that all recording with "close" microphone, is going to give a "fault" sound?

I do have more micropone that I can use. How should I do?
If i put only one "overhead" microphone, above the snare, let say 1 or 2 meter? And no eq?

uniin

Gold Member

i think the way its micced up is fine... maybe it just needs to be pointing in the middle a bit more. A lot of air gets better sound from snares and drums in my experiances.

GrooveSuperfly

i think the way its micced up is fine... maybe it just needs to be pointing in the middle a bit more. A lot of air gets better sound from snares and drums in my experiances.
I would like to do it right way. I bought my microphone set for a few month ago, and I am trying to learn how to mic.
This EQ setting is some "preset" that is included in Cubase.

But , I do have soundlife even "raw" , in cubase, where I can remove EQ,or add more middle ( or, to say it right - not add middle - I think preset was boosted on hight, middle was pretty deep cutted, and low was cutted away allmost completly(???).

In headphone it was sounding pretty nice. But I agree - snare buzz is goone?!?!?

Does it do lot to mic snare from underside too? Or is that only a way to "hide and compensate" for snare sound?

Last edited:

Andy

Administrator
Staff member

Yes, I agree with this. If you got a mic set, did that include a pair of condensers for overhead? If so, rather than close mic'ing, set up a pair (or even just one) condenser over the top of the drum, say around 0.5 Metre above your head when seated, & record it totally flat. Recording from a distance gives all the drum's tones time to resolve. It should easily pick up enough snare wire sound without mic'ing from underneath.

Close mic'ing in itself, alters the sound compared to how we'd hear it in the same room. When offering an audio capture up so that other players can hear the drum's sound, I always like it when the drum is recorded as honestly as possible. It's fine to EQ stuff to improve the sound, either in a live setting, or especially in a band recording setting, but it's best avoided in a comparison/appraisal video. That said, just about every manufacturer out there doctors their videos hugely, but visually, make it look almost like a home recording.

Cameo

Gold Member

Jag är så glad för din skull, Superfly! :)

It does sound really good, indeed. And yes, agree, the rimshots seems a little tiny.
Nonetheless, great drum!

GrooveSuperfly

Jag är så glad för din skull, Superfly! :)

It does sound really good, indeed. And yes, agree, the rimshots seems a little tiny.
Nonetheless, great drum!

Underbart träffa dig här :)

I have to do that record again. Rimshots are not weak :)

I also made an recording attempt last week. But it failed.

First problem was with the microphone - It "cut" away sounds sometimes?!? Could be that some GATE been on, misstakly?

Secondly, I had the microphone on a tom frame that you attach on the hoops. I attcehd it on snare hoop. The result of it was that you hear how punches vibrates into the microphone.It sounds like a "stroke" on the mic, it is felt that it "hums". But rimshotts heard better.

And I find out that its chocking snare. I didnt realise before that they do same on the toms too?!? But I could clearly hear te differnce whan that holder was on, and off.

Here you can heard that " bad recording" with 2 overheads ( where one is cutting???) , and one shure close. But rimhots hears better,

http://snd.sc/Hq6JL7

On both recording, I use all 3 posissions on stainer. First, no contact to reso head. Second, pretty loose. And third possisin. harder contact. Thats affect on sound too.

Last edited:

uniin

Gold Member

I would like to do it right way. I bought my microphone set for a few month ago, and I am trying to learn how to mic.
This EQ setting is some "preset" that is included in Cubase.

But , I do have soundlife even "raw" , in cubase, where I can remove EQ,or add more middle ( or, to say it right - not add middle - I think preset was boosted on hight, middle was pretty deep cutted, and low was cutted away allmost completly(???).

In headphone it was sounding pretty nice. But I agree - snare buzz is goone?!?!?

Does it do lot to mic snare from underside too? Or is that only a way to "hide and compensate" for snare sound?
It was probably boosting the mids and tops because thats where most of a snare sound comes through. There was probably a high pass filter - which means it cuts off all the low end and only allows the higher end to pass through.

Another sm57 on the bottom would make a world of difference. you get a lot more snare sound and a bit of the body of the snare too.

I think the best sound for a drum is to have a condenser just as a room mic with no EQ or compression. It'll give a nice raw, realistic sound.

GrooveSuperfly

If you got a mic set, did that include a pair of condensers for overhead? If so, rather than close mic'ing, set up a pair (or even just one) condenser over the top of the drum, say around 0.5 Metre above your head when seated, & record it totally flat. .
I do have 2 pair Shure OH mics, I think they are condenser ( they need phanton power)...?
I will record it again with that mic about 0,5 meter above, behind me.

It was probably boosting the mids and tops because thats where most of a snare sound comes through. There was probably a high pass filter - which means it cuts off all the low end and only allows the higher end to pass through.

Another sm57 on the bottom would make a world of difference. you get a lot more snare sound and a bit of the body of the snare too.

I think the best sound for a drum is to have a condenser just as a room mic with no EQ or compression. It'll give a nice raw, realistic sound.
I have only one sm57. I do have 3 pg microphonefor toms, and those 2 condenser , and one PG föor kickdrum, bur they are probaby not sop good?

Next time I will try without EQ.

But this ( link down) , earlier, "bad" recording is with SM57 on snare , and those 2 overheads ( but allmost 3 meter above the snare), and it sound completly different?!?!
You can hear stainer completly different ( reso side tune the same as on video) , and even rimshots sound more "clear", then on Youtube?. I did nt have EQ on SM57. May-be Hi pas filter on OH ( I do not remember?!?!) ,

Link to sound here:
http://snd.sc/Hq6JL7

Can just those two overheads made so big differet, and becouse its without EQ?

Les Ismore

Platinum Member

Me checked out the ANTONIO site. He seems to be trying, they look like nice drums. Noticed the cherry shell had some pretty drastic lug splay tho.

IMO this level of craftsmanship should not be prone to lug splay... since it 'is' the 21st century, I would think lug splay should have been eradicated already.

You see $100 snare drums with their lugs/rods perfectly in line, yet still there's $2k+ snare drums with lug splay. Poor attention to detail.

Attachments

Andy

Administrator
Staff member

Me checked out the ANTONIO site. He seems to be trying, they look like nice drums. Noticed the cherry shell had some pretty drastic lug splay tho.

IMO this level of craftsmanship should not be prone to lug splay... since it 'is' the 21st century, I would think lug splay should have been eradicated already.

You see $100 snare drums with their lugs/rods perfectly in line, yet still there's $2k+ snare drums with lug splay. Poor attention to detail.
I really hold back on pointing out negatives with other drum companies work, especially artisan builders, but I have to agree here, there's no way that drum should be going out the door. It's inexcusable at any price point, never mind the top end stuff. It's a basic measurement error.

Matematika

but then again... it could be the position of camera related to that snare on picture... right?

Les Ismore

Platinum Member

but then again... it could be the position of camera related to that snare on picture... right?

mmmmm, you mean like a warped lens, the glass is old and has run?

Will have to say no... or were you joking?

Its not a joke really, drum manufactures need to get a handle on this otherwise simple to prevent flaw.

GrooveSuperfly

No its not camera angle.
It is built so because the customer wants it the same size as the old Sonor snares - 350mm , but fixed standard of hoops is 353mm. I acctualy asked him on e-mail why that snare look like that, and thats what he answer me.
But if anyone believes that there are bad things Anton builds you get swelling believe it-it's not my jobb to defend him - BUT I know how my snare sounds, though I obviously may not be able/have knowlege to record it right ... . :)

What do you think of your snare? You have Antonio snare too, and is it true solid too?
It must sound "ridiculous" warm with that snare and then wood hoops on it?

Duck Tape

Platinum Member

It's got a metallic sort of sound to me.

I think it sounds great. Liked your drumming video too.

millerscapes

Very nice! Looking forward to seeing/ hearing the finished kit. Congrats!

Les Ismore

Platinum Member

It is built so because the customer wants it the same size as the old Sonor snares - 350mm , but fixed standard of hoops is 353mm.

Its simple, the difference is taken-up at the lug, you use a different lug, or a lug spacer.

All well and good, you try to give the customer what they want, but one has to adhere to their standards (of quality?).

You should be able to give the customer what they want and still maintain your objective.

There's no reason lug splay should exist.

Its like a motor car that's not aligned and worse, like it was built out of alignment as a mistake... and its a really expensive car.