Youtube Channel: Worth it?

boomstick

Silver Member
So I have used it in the past, but finally got too frustrated trying to navigate the copyright controls. The final straw was when I used royalty free music that I had actually paid the licensing fee for, and still got flagged for a copyright violation. This was like 8 years ago now, and it seems like it's only gotten worse. Seeing all kinds of videos on youtube about how terrible it is for content creators now. Problem is, I do have a bunch of drum related stuff I want to share, but it will necessitate referencing copyrighted material. Should I even bother with youtube anymore? Are there any other options, vimeo and the like?

This is a common issue not only for YouTube, but for Twitch guys as well. Play a copyrighted track & you'll either get the content blocked or muted.
Most of the drummers who are monetized have "paid their dues" so to speak by being on the channel for a good minute and paying any fees to showcase the content.

However...

sometimes I'll see channel owners playing all kinds of music & they "get away with it" for a while before YouTube catches on.

Play a copyrighted track & you'll either get the content blocked or muted.

It's worse than that though. They've taken a "guilty until proven innocent" approach, which gives all benefit of the doubt to the alleged copyright holder. I say "alleged" because I just watched a youtube video where a guy describes getting hit with a copyright violation for using his own original music. Someone had stolen and used it without his permission, then a copyright claim against him was somehow filed by the thief, or maybe youtube's filters picked it up somehow. At any rate, YT seems to have gotten way too overzealous with this stuff, but what is the alternative? This is the problem with monopolies.

It's worse than that though. They've taken a "guilty until proven innocent" approach, which gives all benefit of the doubt to the alleged copyright holder. I say "alleged" because I just watched a youtube video where a guy describes getting hit with a copyright violation for using his own original music. Someone had stolen and used it without his permission, then a copyright claim against him was somehow filed by the thief, or maybe youtube's filters picked it up somehow. At any rate, YT seems to have gotten way too overzealous with this stuff, but what is the alternative? This is the problem with monopolies.
Sounds like the video Rick Beato did about YouTube & how they're taking money from him because of BS copyright "violations".
My dad had his Facebook page hacked & the access email changed so now he can no longer access it. So for a YouTube channel & it's content to be "re-assigned" doesn't surprise me at all.

It's a sad state for sure.

Wow! Did you put the "licensed by" in the description and all that too? We are trying to get stuff on our channel too, original songs. I guess we have this to look forward to huh, bummer

Back