Your first 2 or 3 lesson books

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Local Boob
piggybacking off of @Stroman 's post about his early drum book....

what were your first memorable lesson books? First year of drum lessons was 1976

for me it was:;
1. Wilcoxin 150 rudimental solos

wlcx150.jpeg

2. Carmine Appice's Realistic Rock

appcrr.jpeg

3. the Logical Approach to Snare Drum

la2snr.jpeg

and the classic NARD 26 Rudiments sheet

NARD.jpeg

1968/9
still have it
classical and etudes and the 26 rude's.
and it was is the Advanced one;
It's really beautiful inside. Need an instructor cause there's no directions Just notes pages of
~~~
Never had another book until 1975
snare and tympani, ..Cirone, Firth, Podemski..
set books the Independent Drummer . Patterns, Chaffee; some other single papers

Last edited:
Pictured are the three books I started with .
My first teacher has me using the Max Abrams book - he was British and this was a book he started all his students with . Not sure it is still in print .

Next up was the great book Stick Control by George Stone - I still use this hook to this day .

Syncopation another great book that I still use to this day .

953911C6-FCCE-42E4-AAC7-46DB065D79EB.jpeg96581CC3-6B08-4EC4-ACB7-20D6500D55A6.jpeg69DD2537-5D0E-46C7-A9B9-56F8A3B65B63.jpeg

Actually, it's "Your."

Going back a long time ago to my youth these were some of them I remember.
  • Stick Control
  • Haskell Harr Drum Method for band
  • Syncopation

Actually, it's "Your."

holy crap...I didn't even notice that till ow...what a dumb a$$ I am!!!

the kids have a running joke in drumline at my high school (b/c I write fast and miss spell a lot in rehearsal) : "Spelling Doesn't Count In Drumline"

so everyone here is now a part of that world

Pictured are the three books I started with .
My first teacher has me using the Max Abrams book - he was British and this was a book he started all his students with . Not sure it is still in print .

Next up was the great book Stick Control by George Stone - I still use this hook to this day .

Syncopation another great book that I still use to this day .

View attachment 127413View attachment 127414View attachment 127415

yeah...Stick Control was actual my very first via my dad...

here's an example page from the Rubank Advanced Method for Drums.

1392_47070_popup.jpg

page 16 to be exact.

rubank16.jpg

holy crap...I didn't even notice that till ow...what a dumb a$$ I am!!!

the kids have a running joke in drumline at my high school (b/c I write fast and miss spell a lot in rehearsal) : "Spelling Doesn't Count In Drumline"

so everyone here is now a part of that world
I'm sorry to tell you, I was an English major, and I'm a writer, so I see every spelling gaffe. No offense intended.

Yeah when I had my first teacher he got me Stick Control and Syncopation, have had those since 1999. I've never really used syncopation at all (aside from when I was teaching) but Stick Control I come back to, mainly the tuplets in the end are fun to jam out to.

My next book I got was in college I took lessons again and got Art of Bop Drumming, around 2005. It was a good book but I haven't worked out of it much.

I'm sorry to tell you, I was an English major, and I'm a writer, so I see every spelling gaffe. No offense intended.

not offended at all...I was typing fast and sort of distracted when I started the thread, so that was the result

Nice thread idea!

It was a loooong time ago, but these are ones I remember or still have:

School Lessons-
*Stick Control
*Haskell Harr
*Syncopation

Private Lessons (drum set)
*Drummer's Cookbook
*Realistic Rock
*Advanced Techniques for the Modern
Drummer

First 2 books were:
Joel Rothman’s “Play Rock ‘n Roll Drums”
“Buddy Rich’s Modern interpretation of Snare Drum Rudiments”

Long enough ago that I don't remember. But the one JDA posted looked vaguely familiar, so I looked around a bit and found these too:

and

That could have been the progression. They were first published in 1940 and 1946.

Reactions: jda
Back