You're all a bunch of dopamine addicts.

boomstick

Silver Member
"Studies have shown that when we listen to music, our brains release dopamine, which in turn makes us happy."
That's one thing I learned from this interesting article "The scientific mystery of why humans love music." The main thrust of the article is that scientific study has not yet determined why humans like music so much, given that our survival is not dependent upon it. I like how the current scientific hypotheses are in line with what many musicians have been saying for a long time: Music is a language, essentially an arrangement of sounds into patterns. The scientists are hypothesizing that's why we like music, because pattern recognition and verbal communication are essential to our survival.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Oh I definitely get to an elevated state after a good gig. It even lasts into the next day. The more I drum, the more of a spiritual a thing drumming becomes.

drummer-russ

Gold Member
There is nothing that compares to the satisfaction of watching people move to your beat! Well maybe one thing. ;-)

Anon La Ply

Renegade
That's one thing I learned from this interesting article "The scientific mystery of why humans love music." The main thrust of the article is that scientific study has not yet determined why humans like music so much, given that our survival is not dependent upon it. I like how the current scientific hypotheses are in line with what many musicians have been saying for a long time: Music is a language, essentially an arrangement of sounds into patterns. The scientists are hypothesizing that's why we like music, because pattern recognition and verbal communication are essential to our survival.
Thanks Boom. I like the article. When you think of it, music is a strange phenomenon. Many other animals don't much respond to it, other than thinking of it sounding like a predator or prey. Frank Zappa referred to is disturbing air molecules.

I can see how it is a play behaviour, just like bear cubs wrestling, but in this instance practising pattern recognition.

I wonder if maybe there's one limitation to the author's ideas, that of all music expression being an extension of the voice. I wonder if there is something fundamentally different about percussion? Drums communicate like more like a heartbeat than a voice, via tempo and volume.

boomstick

Silver Member
I wonder if there is something fundamentally different about percussion? Drums communicate like more like a heartbeat than a voice, via tempo and volume.
Yes, if you really want to get deep into it, the entire universe operates on rhythm; the rhythm of the earth revolving around the sun, or the rhythm of a pulsar, for example. Such rhythms also indicate the passage of time. Time+rhythm = the foundation for drumming. So you could reasonably conclude that percussion taps into the same forces which control the universe, so naturally it resonates with us, since we are all one small part of this universe.