Your Thoughts On Remo Controlled Sound Heads (for toms)

Pass.of.E.r.a.

Gold Member
just wondering if any of you had any experience with these drum heads .
Mike Portnoy used them in his drum jam with Terry Bozzio on Drum Channel and his toms sounded NICE.

I know that the best thing for me to do would be to try them for myself, but seeing as I have 5 toms, I don't have any desire to go and blow a bunch of money on heads that might not work for me....

So yeah, if anyone uses/has used these I'd love to hear more about them!

oh and here's the link for the Terry Bozzio/Mike Portnoy jam if anyone wants it.

-Jonathan

Matiz

the´re great if you want that old school concert tom sound. very focused and with great tone and attack. i like tu tune them quite high to achieve that tony williams sound :) highly recommend !

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
I tried it once, many, many years ago.

I admit, I didn't care for it.

But that was just my one experience.

Pass.of.E.r.a.

Gold Member
the´re great if you want that old school concert tom sound. very focused and with great tone and attack. i like tu tune them quite high to achieve that tony williams sound :) highly recommend !
hmmm... ok

Do you happen to know if I'm hearing mostly eq'ing or is that what they actually sound like?

-Jonathan

Nastynate16

hmmm... ok

Do you happen to know if I'm hearing mostly eq'ing or is that what they actually sound like?

-Jonathan

Exactly my question, the sound that Portnoy has in that video is the exact sound i want from my drums. Any tips on how to get close to that sound if it is mostly EQ? What Batter/Reso heads? I have a Maple Starclassic kit.