your practice regimen

moontheloon

Silver Member
Im curious as to what is involved in some of your practice regimens......

I know what I do.....would love to know what you do...

do you warm up and cool down?

do you stay on one idea until its locked?

do you skip around and work on lots of different things?

do you keep a log?

do you have an amount of practice time you like to get in a day?

about how many "off" days a month do you usually experience ?

stuff like that.....

Im interested in hearing how what we all do compares and what we have in common

Travis22

That's a tough one for me to answer, cause mine changes all the time. With gigs 1-2 nights a week, rehersals 3-4 nights a week, and playing for a church, and working a 40 hour a week job, I don't get much time where I'm practicing alone and not preparing for something coming up. But when I do, I've been working a ton on 4-way independence and increasing my speed. When I first started and was taking lessons on a regular basis it was different (I've been playing drums since 1st grade). I would work on rudiments first, then spend time working on the excerices my instructor assigned (I had TONS of books to work out of), then dink around some. At that time I was required to keep a log of what I did and for how long and my parents would sign off on it for my instructor. I was required a minimum of 20mins a night (dunno what would have happend if I didn't, but it wasn't a problem cause I love to play). It wasn't set how much was suppose to be spent on what, he just wanted to know what I spent it doing. And having a family full of music teachers, you couldn't lie and say you worked on your assignment then spend all night rockin out to cd's, so I really did practice to get better. :)

Oh, and days off? Well, I try not to have those because when I do I become grumpy! But there's usually 2-3 days a month that I can't avoid missing out on some drummin time, and those days we don't talk about.

deltdrum

I usually warm up by just working through hand technique (stroke qualitiy, finger controlled/wrist controlled rolls) and then work my way down to my feet and practice bass timing exercises. I'm also a HUGE fan of warming up mentally at first. I feel like doing some counting exercises gets my mind engaged a bit more.

I feel like my warming up is almost the majority of my actual practicing haha.

As far as ideas go... are you meaning like, grooves and stuff? I usually just focus on one or two grooves per practice session. Usually I'll go from one groove that I've had in my head all day, and then come up with a couple variations. I always imagine "well, if that was the verse groove to a song, what would I play as the chorus?".

I don't really keep a log as much as a list of questions that I can research. Gives me some stuff to youtube or ask drummers that are better than me.

As far as practice time goes.. I just try to sit down whenever I have downtime. I don't like to force myself into practicing like it's a prison sentance though. If i'm just frustrating myself, then I'll just plug in the ipod and jam out.

I never really cool down after practice though I just kind of get up and leave when it feels right.

I need to lay off the coffee though man sorry to give you a novel..

moontheloon

Silver Member
That's a tough one for me to answer, cause mine changes all the time. With gigs 1-2 nights a week, rehersals 3-4 nights a week, and playing for a church, and working a 40 hour a week job, I don't get much time where I'm practicing alone and not preparing for something coming up. But when I do, I've been working a ton on 4-way independence and increasing my speed. When I first started and was taking lessons on a regular basis it was different (I've been playing drums since 1st grade). I would work on rudiments first, then spend time working on the excerices my instructor assigned (I had TONS of books to work out of), then dink around some. At that time I was required to keep a log of what I did and for how long and my parents would sign off on it for my instructor. I was required a minimum of 20mins a night (dunno what would have happend if I didn't, but it wasn't a problem cause I love to play). It wasn't set how much was suppose to be spent on what, he just wanted to know what I spent it doing. And having a family full of music teachers, you couldn't lie and say you worked on your assignment then spend all night rockin out to cd's, so I really did practice to get better. :)

Oh, and days off? Well, I try not to have those because when I do I become grumpy! But there's usually 2-3 days a month that I can't avoid missing out on some drummin time, and those days we don't talk about.

by off days I meant....the days where you just dont feel quite right......

I have been playing for 28 years and still practice for 3 to 6 hours 5 to 6 days a week if not every day.....thats just on the kit.....I dont count the countless hours randomly on the pad.......I just love to practice I guess......

even on tour Im always in back of the van hitting the pad......

its sort of an addiction with me.......when on vacation or in a situation where I cant practice for a few days I go through withdrawals and get all cranky.....

its something I still to this day truly look forward to

I also have a bit of an OCD type way of stopping practice.........I have to go through whatever im working on ....a lick or whatever......a certain amount of times with a certain quality before I can feel right about stopping

crazy I know....but its always worked for me

Numberless

Platinum Member
Right now I'm clocking in about 2-3 hours a day plus a random 1-2 hours on pad.

I'm making it a habit to bring my pad pretty much everywhere, to the annoyance of all my friends jajaja, anyways on hand technique right now I'm pretty focused on triplet stroke rolls and the good ol' paradiddle, with the first pages of Stick Control throw in for good measure.

On the kit, I don't usually warm up, I'll spend the first 15-20 minutes just shedding and messing around, then I start with the stuff I'm practicing for college, right now it's:

- Exercises from Syncopation
- Exercises from Modern Sight Reading
- A snare piece for my final exam.

- Reading Syncopation in swing using Alan Dawson's short&long method.
- Exercises from Art of Bop Drumming
- Gary Chaffee's Fat Back Exercises
- Afro 6/8 rhythm

After I'm done with the school stuff, I'll practice double bass and blasts for 10-20 minutes, I play in a punk/hardcore band so I try to keep those chops up. Then I'll work on any cool licks/grooves/songs I like, right now I'm learning songs for an album I'm recording, also I'm working on the Drew Groove, a really cool groove floating around on youtube.

I don't keep a log per se but I keep a handbook for the college stuff, where I annotate what I'm working on.

brady

Platinum Member
do you warm up and cool down? Yes. Usually something like a wrist, then fingers warmup. It varies... It may be doubles, accenting the second hit, or a singles/doubles/paradiddle pattern. Or flamtaps, which works a little bit of everything for me.

do you stay on one idea until its locked? Yes. Quite a while. I don't know if it's too long but I'll play a particular exercise/rudiment etc. comfortably for at least a minute or so before I increase the tempo.

do you skip around and work on lots of different things? Not usually. I typically work on the same routine of stuff. However, that routine includes a lot of Stick Control stuff, rudiments, hybrids of both of those, applying said exercises to the kit, as well as just regular jazz coordination grooves on the kit.

do you keep a log? More or less. My log is a quick tempo reference for everything I'm working on. It's mostly the assignments from my drum teacher.

do you have an amount of practice time you like to get in a day? Usually 2-3 hours.

about how many "off" days a month do you usually experience ? Do you mean days that I don't play? Maybe 4 or 5. Or days that I feel like I really suck? Roughly once a week. Reasons for that may vary from how hard I exerted myself at work, to how much sleep I got that night, or that I'm trying to learn a very difficult lick, or the fact that I really do suck sometimes.

I heard someone say a long time ago that we aren't as good as our best days and we aren't as bad as our bad days.

moontheloon

Silver Member
Right now I'm clocking in about 2-3 hours a day plus a random 1-2 hours on pad.

I'm making it a habit to bring my pad pretty much everywhere, to the annoyance of all my friends jajaja, anyways on hand technique right now I'm pretty focused on triplet stroke rolls and the good ol' paradiddle, with the first pages of Stick Control throw in for good measure.

On the kit, I don't usually warm up, I'll spend the first 15-20 minutes just shedding and messing around, then I start with the stuff I'm practicing for college, right now it's:

- Exercises from Syncopation
- Exercises from Modern Sight Reading
- A snare piece for my final exam.

- Reading Syncopation in swing using Alan Dawson's short&long method.
- Exercises from Art of Bop Drumming
- Gary Chaffee's Fat Back Exercises
- Afro 6/8 rhythm

After I'm done with the school stuff, I'll practice double bass and blasts for 10-20 minutes, I play in a punk/hardcore band so I try to keep those chops up. Then I'll work on any cool licks/grooves/songs I like, right now I'm learning songs for an album I'm recording, also I'm working on the Drew Groove, a really cool groove floating around on youtube.

I don't keep a log per se but I keep a handbook for the college stuff, where I annotate what I'm working on.

just out of curiosity ...which exercises in art of bop are you working on?

Numberless

Platinum Member
Page 23, snare comping. The book hasn't been a priority because I'm in my first semester so we've been covering most of the basic stuff (rudiments, a list of rhythms, ect) but since I already had some prior knowledge, the prof. decided to start working on the book.

NPYYZ

I've been playing for 36 years. I no longer practice. Never really did. I just get behind my kit and play. what ever ideas come into my head go to the kit. I play at least two hours a day, most times more, but you won't find me working on a certain thing, now I just play my drums.

Even in the early years I was never the type that could get behind the kit and just do a certain pattern, rudiment or whatever over and over and over, I just can't do it. That's why I only took lessons for a month. It bored me. I just wanted to play and do my own thing, and for 36 years that is what I've done.

moontheloon

Silver Member
I've been playing for 36 years. I no longer practice. Never really did. I just get behind my kit and play. what ever ideas come into my head go to the kit. I play at least two hours a day, most times more, but you won't find me working on a certain thing, now I just play my drums.

Even in the early years I was never the type that could get behind the kit and just do a certain pattern, rudiment or whatever over and over and over, I just can't do it. That's why I only took lessons for a month. It bored me. I just wanted to play and do my own thing, and for 36 years that is what I've done.
to me that sounds insane.....

but what works for you works.......my favorite drummer to ever touch sticks is known for never practicing one time in his adult life....... Keith Moon

Im just addicted to constantly evolving and getting the most out of my ability

cp84

I practise about 2 - 3 hours a day during the week and about 5-7 hours a day on weekends.

I don't really warmup, I just start playing on my kit straight from cold. I like to do that because thats what I have to do when I rehearse with a band or play a gig.

A typical practise session at the moment sees me flip between jazz and funk grooves. I'll play funk for 40 minutes or so and then flip over to jazz for a bit and then switch back again. Then eventually I take a cigarette break and then repeat the process.

The funk stuff that I'm practising is sort of "funky drummer" clyde stubblefield sort of stuff. I'm really trying to play perfectly in time with the metronome and keep good consistency.

The jazz stuff that I'm practising is just comping in triplet forms based of excercises from syncopation. I try to do this at speeds between 120 and 220 bpms.

I'm also currently obsessed with one particular paraddidle variation: RLLRLRRL . It has so many options and I think it sounds really sweet. So I play that all the time and base most of my fills and accents off it at the moment.

Oh yea and I was playing drum and bass grooves for ages today. Actually the more I think about it, the more I'm really all over the place all the time.