Your personal least favorite set you actually owned.

KarlCrafton

Platinum Member
The WORST snare I ever owned was a Tama Art Star 6.5 Maple. I did a logo for a music store and got the snare instead of cash.
Not a drum I would have gotten normally, but it WAS a top of the line snare at the time (1985-86). Die cast hoops, extended snare wires, the works, so it was a decent "trade" at $300+ back then.

I had it for almost 4 years, and tried EVERYTHING down to changing the throw, wires, hoops, strap/ribbon/cord, every head you can think of. Just a DEAD sounding snare.
This thing just never sounded good. Jeez I hated that thing.

I also tried (3 times) to get on with the 402..... Love how it sounds when I hear it. Don't care for it sitting behind it at all.

I bought Larry's Acro Classic 6.5 :) (back in 2013) and it was a drum I wanted since I was 12.... "if only they made it in a 6.5..." Then they did.
I did sell it last year because it just wasn't getting played, but I did like it.
I DO still have a 6.5 Acro LTD version in the box, unplayed, but that doesn't count for this thread.

petrez

Least favorite set was probably a Sonor Force 2003 in Wax Blue finish. Kind of an impulse buy at the time (very cheap), but it came with a floortom completely mismatching the other drums with the finish hue (more green than blue), the hardware quickly came loose (and I really didn't like the look of those weird brick-shaped lugs), etc. Sold it after a couple of months, so it's definately the kit I sold the fastest, of my 20+ kits of all time...

Least favorite snare (if we exclude the stock snares that came with some shellpacks I've bought, usually sold them off before I even used them) is a tie between a 13"x6" Yamaha Musashi which the rods came loose after a few minutes of playing (sounded good for those few minutes though...) and a 14"x6,5" Mapex MPX steel that didn't really sound all that good and had really cheap hardware as well (can even see the rods coming through the bottom part of the lugs, whoever thought of that genius design...).

V-Four

….(except for this one set of yellow Exports that made the rounds for about 15 years). .
I also had a set of yellow exports back in the day.. and a white set a few years before that.
My least fave would have to be my 1st set. It was a "rogers",4 pc, not sure what model. Man, when I got the exports, they were sooo loud compared to the ole rogers. this was pre internet, so I suppose I could have actually sold the rogers set, instead of thinkin they were some useless old "jazz" drumset or something. I'll just digress now.

T.

Judge

The WORST snare I ever owned was a Tama Art Star 6.5 Maple. I did a logo for a music store and got the snare instead of cash.
Not a drum I would have gotten normally, but it WAS a top of the line snare at the time (1985-86). Die cast hoops, extended snare wires, the works, so it was a decent "trade" at $300+ back then.
Do you still have this snare? Id buy it :cool:

equipmentdork

Mid-90's Ocean Blue Exports. I know that Pearl changed the shells over the years, and I even played other late 80's/early 90's kits, but this one was NOT happening. Boxy toms, no tuning range, kick was ok. Got rid of them quickly.

Dan

force3005

Silver Member
My very first kit (1972) was an Apollo blue sparkle one mounted and a floor tom with kick and snare. The kit was made out of some kind of wood that look like wall paneling. My mom & dad were robed out of $300. Had it for a year before it fell a part.

TTNW

Pioneer Member
Low hanging fruit first:

1990's Pearl Export I bought in 2002 for $200

They were a wreck and sounded like everything that's ever been wrong with every kit on the Bojangles Tom Angle thread. Yikes.
Granted they were abused and beyond redemption. New heads did nothing for them.

I bought the "Brick" a 20 ply monster by Ludwig. Epic series. On paper it looks like everything I could want. Meaty, cool keystone lugs, etc..
I just couldn't make it work. It was probably me but I still think there was something not quite right with it.

Gretsch Catalina Asian Mahogany matching snare for my bop kit. Poop. I'm not a shell snob, but it just sucks.

CB kit from my son's brief, "I'm gonna play drums" phase. I could actually get good sounds from the kit but the hardware was so China pot metal horrible that I made a coffee table out of the bass drum and actually used the toms for angry target practice at my most awesome home outdoor shooting range. It was fun to turn them into "ozone" shells.

I remember an old days Tama "Noob Star" kit that I had for a few months that I hated. It might have been me but it had that cheesy sticker badge look and "way too thick wrap" cheapo feel that I couldn't get over.

Just sayin', I do like inexpensive intermediate drums but I've definitely had some losers.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
It wasn't my kit, but it was a kit I played at rehearsal for many years. It was a yellowed white Pearl Export set that just sounded bad. I tried different used heads I had and I tried my best with tuning, but no. I pride myself on being able to get a good sound out of any drum...but what this kit really needed was a good stripping and cleaning, bearing edge wax, gasket removal, interior polyurethane job to seal the porous interior of that awful granitone stuff, a lug and rod lube job, and ISO mounts for the racks and suspension feet for the floor toms. Plus new heads and probably a bearing edge re-do job. But it wasn't my kit, so I did none of that.

jdavis

Although I LOVED them because they were my first set and my Dad bought them for me, I'd have to say my 1980's Remo PTS kit.

They didn't sound THAT bad, but the PTS heads were a pain in the butt and didn't sound good for very long.