Your Opinions on Hardware

Om Flyer

Greetings- Bass player here looking for opinions on hardware. I recently inherited a Gretsch Catalina Jazz kit with a Pork Pie BoB snare.

I’m looking for light but solid hardware for home and small venue use.

I prefer to spend the money upfront for quality gear, rather than buying and selling 3X to arrive at the right stuff.

I’m looking at:

Yamaha 780 Pack

Or

Tama Stagemaster Pack plus the Classic pedal

Looking for opinions between these two…weight, performance, durability and any others I should consider.

Thanks -OM

alparrott

Platinum Member
Cue the flood of posts extolling Yamaha hardware! And allow me to be the first.

I've owned that exact set of hardware since 1998. I've taken those stands to hundreds of gigs. I've had minimal issues: the wingnut on the snare tilter stripped and had to be replaced; a wingbolt on a cymbal stand tube stripped and had to be replaced. And that's it, in just over 20 years and hundreds of gigs.

The Tama stuff gets a lot of great reviews as well, but Yamaha hardware users tend to be passionate about their stuff because it's well made and lasts. In fact the stands I bought 21 years ago are almost the same as the ones you're looking at... and the ones I looked at in my first issue of Modern Drummer in 1985. If it ain't broke...

Om Flyer

This Yamaha Crosstown Hardware pack is great, super light.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVqMRtq-cSk
I really like the idea of the Yamaha Crosstown pack but I started looking at the other options because of not having a boom stand and the inability to rotate the hi-hat stand.
Mostly for positioning and not a double pedal. Also, I feel like my 6.5" snare is quite heavy for a super lightweight snare stand (could be totally unfounded?).

Fritz Frigursson

I really like the idea of the Yamaha Crosstown pack but I started looking at the other options because of not having a boom stand and the inability to rotate the hi-hat stand.
Mostly for positioning and not a double pedal. Also, I feel like my 6.5" snare is quite heavy for a super lightweight snare stand (could be totally unfounded?).
I doubt the snare stand will break unless you have a Tama Bell Brass.

You can buy a Yamaha boom arm for around 20 bucks and use them with the cross town stands. Yamaha System Hardware is amazing and should be used by every brand.

beatdat

I'm a TAMA fan, but you can't go wrong with Yamaha - their stands are smooth.

Out of curiosity, have you not considered Gretsch hardware? I don't know if it's up to par with what you're looking at, but I'm a bit of a stickler for matching brands.

One thing you may want to consider is a boom stand with a counterweight, especially if you have a heavy ride cymbal mounted over your bass drum.

cbphoto

Gold Member
A vote for the Tama here. The cymbal adjustment at the end of the boom is continuous, not notched. Also, the boom arm can slide into the stand section for more options.

Both snare stands look about the same: the attachment from the base riser to the tilter uses bolts. The tilter is also notched, and I could never find the perfect tilt with those kind of stands.

The guage of the metal sections looks to be about the same between the two brands.

So far, the Tama Classic Pedal is getting good feedback, too.

a little eye candy for the guys

Om Flyer

I'm a TAMA fan, but you can't go wrong with Yamaha - their stands are smooth.

Out of curiosity, have you not considered Gretsch hardware? I don't know if it's up to par with what you're looking at, but I'm a bit of a stickler for matching brands.

One thing you may want to consider is a boom stand with a counterweight, especially if you have a heavy ride cymbal mounted over your bass drum.
Yes! I did consider the recently (re)released Gretsch hardware but I have not been able to find one review or any owner experiences. I find it interesting, even curious that nothing has been said online...good or bad?

Last edited:

Om Flyer

I doubt the snare stand will break unless you have a Tama Bell Brass.

You can buy a Yamaha boom arm for around 20 bucks and use them with the cross town stands. Yamaha System Hardware is amazing and should be used by every brand.

Good to know a boom arm can be added.

The snare is brass, more concerned about wobble than breaking.

gdmoore28

Gold Member
Well, the two packs you've narrowed it down to happen to be two of the best single-braced packs on the market. You can't go wrong with either. Literally.

But the answer to your question is: The Yamaha 780 Hardware Pack.

I've owned my 600 and 700 series Yamaha hardware since the late 1990s, with various newer versions of the 700 series stands added since. Number of problems: Zero. None.

If you have any doubts on the stability of the snare stand with your Pork Pie, just do what I did: upgrade to a heavier stand. I use a Sound Percussion snare stand that is identical to the Ludwig stand pictured below. But that is the ONLY heavy stand in my gigging collection. (Except for my throne, of course.)

GeeDeeEmm

Om Flyer

All good insight, I appreciate it!

Couple follow-up questions:

Can anyone speak to the overall weight difference between the two hardware packs...the single braced Stagemaster VS. Yamaha 700?

Also, how do these both compare to the 17 lb Crosstown claim?

I'm also hoping to hear some feedback on hi hat and bass pedal feel between the stagemaster and Yamaha 700?

Agree that either series would serve me well but theses detail questions will help me with the final decision.

Morrisman

Platinum Member
I use both these sets regularly on house kits, and I like them both. Tama have a few unique design features, like one offset snare arm, the rotating snare basket, softer padded snare holders, the cymbal clamp you remove with one hand in one second, lockng hihat tilter, etc.

Yamaha stands last and last though - made from strong metals. I don’t love the Yammie bass pedal - I prefer one with a base plate for stability. But the Tama set I play doesn’t have the original pedal, so I can’t compare.

I find Gibraltar/Gretsch hardware clunky and old fashioned by comparison. At least the low/middle ranges.

AzHeat

Platinum Member
Yes! I did consider the recently (re)released Gretsch hardware but I have not been able to find one review or any owner experiences. I find it interesting, even curious that nothing has been said online...good or bad?
Just too new to the market. I feel they were released for exactly those who feel they need matching hardware. Kind of a DW plan to tap that side of the market if you will. They are made by Gibraltar, so they will be far from junk. I’ve been using a set of PDP 800 series stands, minus the snare stand for over a decade. Cheapnd with zero issues. The Yamaha pack you referenced are marginally more expensive, but 10x the quality in my opinion.

The Gretsch hardware will be as strong as an equal set of DWs. I doubt they’re as heavy, but still won’t be as universal as something like a set of Yamaha hardware.

The question is between the super light stuff or the standard 700 series. Love the weight of the lighter stuff, but I do clamp things to my stands. Also, the aluminum legs and body will scratch far easier than chrome. It all depends on priorities and how weight plays out.

If I was giving every weekend, then the super light stuff would be a consideration for sure. The price is also nice enough, you could buy a new set every year and save your back.

Haven’t been around the new Tama hardware much, but no reason to think they won’t hold up.

Last edited:

Om Flyer

I use both these sets regularly on house kits, and I like them both. Tama have a few unique design features, like one offset snare arm, the rotating snare basket, softer padded snare holders, the cymbal clamp you remove with one hand in one second, lockng hihat tilter, etc
I could be leaning toward Tama Stagemaster for many of the reasons above. Also, the included bag is a nice bonus.

Should I try the Tama Classic pedal or go with a comparable, proven Iron Cobra pedal?

Red Menace

Platinum Member
Cue the flood of posts extolling Yamaha hardware! And allow me to be the first.
And on that note, allow me to concur with our friend Al. When I get serious about gigging and made a conscious effort to reduce the weight of my hardware bag I went with the 700 series HH stand. It's plenty sturdy and doesn't add too much weight. My father in-law had gigged a set of 700 Hardware stands for as long as I have known him.

If you find yourself playing more gigs then you may want to replace the pedal down the road, personal preference, but that stock pedal will do you just fine. Also I I can't recommend the Gibraltar quick release clutch enough. Don't know why it took me this ling to get one.

Drumolator

Platinum Member
I have owned both the Yamaha and the Tama single-braced stands. Of those I would go for the Yamaha. I also suggest the Gibraltar 4700 series. That is what I am using now. Peace and goodwill.

vyacheslav

A vote for the Tama here. The cymbal adjustment at the end of the boom is continuous, not notched. Also, the boom arm can slide into the stand section for more options.

Both snare stands look about the same: the attachment from the base riser to the tilter uses bolts. The tilter is also notched, and I could never find the perfect tilt with those kind of stands.

The guage of the metal sections looks to be about the same between the two brands.

So far, the Tama Classic Pedal is getting good feedback, too.

a little eye candy for the guys

How do you play the toms with the Moon Gel right in the middle? As a matter of sound physics, you're going to be accentuating the higher end overtones by placing the Moon Gels right in the middle of the drum. The higher frequencies on any drum are on the outside. The closer you get to the center, the more the lower overtones are dominant. Of course the opposite is true, the closer you get to the edge, the more the higher overtones are dominant. That's why the self-muffled heads always have the built in muffling ring around the outside of the head. Yes, it muffles the drum slightly, but it also lowers the pitch (by dampening the higher end overtones, which are most dominant at the edge where the muffling ring is). Same thing with the O-Rings you put on the exterior of the heads. I notice you have what appears to be Tama branded heads on the drums with external O-rings? Whatever you are trying to gain by getting more low end with the O-rings is pretty well negated (by placing the Moon Gel dead center). If your toms need to be that muffled, may I suggest a cardboard box? LOL! Not a criticism at all, just curious as to your strategy.

Also, that's a lot of "holy" cymbals in your setup!

Last edited:

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Both the Tama and Yamaha packs you speak of are good. The Tama I believe is cheaper, but both will last a lifetime if not abused. I give the nod to the Yamaha because I've had those forever as well, and they keep up with everything I wanted to them to do. Although I'm a Pearl hardware guy now, Yamaha is very good at what it makes.

cbphoto

Gold Member
How do you play the toms with the Moon Gel right in the middle? . . . I notice you have what appears to be Tama branded heads on the drums with external O-rings? . . . If your toms need to be that muffled, may I suggest a cardboard box? LOL! Not a criticism at all, just curious as to your strategy.

Also, that's a lot of "holy" cymbals in your setup!
LOL You are very observant!

The Moon Gel and O-rings are on all the toms and snare because I wanted them silent. I was recording only the cymbals, hi hat & kick drum with overhead microphones and a mic in the kick drum.

Here is the video I recorded, using an original—and simple—composition. I wanted to highlight the sound of the "holy" cymbals because I love their sound (I'm an outlier in that regard). What struck me as unusual and unique was how the PST-X hi hat cymbals sound almost like shakers when played with quick 16th notes.

moar eye candy

Om Flyer

Both the Tama and Yamaha packs you speak of are good. The Tama I believe is cheaper, but both will last a lifetime if not abused. I give the nod to the Yamaha because I've had those forever as well, and they keep up with everything I wanted to them to do. Although I'm a Pearl hardware guy now, Yamaha is very good at what it makes.
Pricing between both the Yamaha 780 Pack and the Tama Stagemater Pack seem to be on par after I add a kick pedal to the Tama pack.

Yamaha 700 series = $299
Tama Stagemaster + Classic pedal = $319 (with hardware bag)

However, the discount off retail on the individual items in the Yamaha pack somehow seem like a better deal to me...

As others have said, either will deliver as promised but now I'm just considering which hardware would have the best long term utility, versatility and possible resale down the road.

Last edited: