Your mood while playing drums

Mukund

Your mood while playing drums ?
Always happy?Always not that excited?
depends on your day to day life situations?

Always not that excited? depends on your day to day life situations?

Usually I'm very pleased to be playing unless I've had a bad day. However, if the band is sucking (or worse, if I'm sucking) then that can, well, suck out the enthusiasm.

Always happy?

My aim is to rise about the shlock, be it a sucky band, sucky me or a sucky world and have this much fun every time I play - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eeDQTvjNwQ

Two performers I've seen who were always smiling and having a whale of a time were John Mayall and Tom Robinson. It's inspiring. Billy Cobham's another who has a ball with it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUvjjp3wpWM

A lot of people in developing countries can barely even dream of the chance to be playing music in a clean, functioning studio or bar ... everyone with their nice, shiny instruments. All you can sensibly do in the face of that is to savour the time you have to play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eeDQTvjNwQ

My aim is to rise about the shlock, be it a sucky band, sucky me or a sucky world and have this much fun every time I play...]

No kidding Polly :) :) :) ...I'll definitely travel to the other side of this planet to see you doing such a number with the Blue Mabels, I wouldn't like to miss that... that's fore sure :)

I certainely couldn't do a Zoltan Chaney's impression, even with years of practice, I can just about twirl the sticks, and even so I feel stupid doing it, but Zolan's performance is definetely a "happy" one in anybody's book I guess :)

Yep, the mood you're feeling on a daily basis, affect your playing to a certain degree, and this doesn't just apply to me, the "mood" of the band or musicians I'm playing with affect your playing, whatever it's happy, sad, exciting, morose, boring, inspiring and so on, but for me, technical capabilities asides, whatever mood I'm feeling myself into is almost always doubled with a mental approach as well, not in a deep & profound way :) just one of these "thing" that helps me to feel relaxed and enjoying the music, but having said that, it can be sometimes a disaster, even if you were happy in the first place, were the intention do not meet the end result, and that's provides a frustration mood in my book :)

Yep, the mood you're feeling on a daily basis, affect your playing to a certain degree, and this doesn't just apply to me, the "mood" of the band or musicians I'm playing with affect your playing, whatever it's happy, sad, exciting, morose, boring, inspiring and so on, but for me, technical capabilities asides, whatever mood I'm feeling myself into is almost always doubled with a mental approach as well, not in a deep & profound way :) just one of these "thing" that helps me to feel relaxed and enjoying the music, but having said that, it can be sometimes a disaster, even if you were happy in the first place, were the intention do not meet the end result, and that's provides a frustration mood in my book :)

We all know your mood when playing - MAD - right? ;)

(awful joke quotient met for the month)

"Tickled Pink" is how I would put it. I am very fortunate to have USA Customs and Spizzichinos so my mood is always up when I play my kit.

GJS

"Tickled Pink" is how I would put it. I am very fortunate to have USA Customs and Spizzichinos so my mood is always up when I play my kit.

GJS
You eat Italian food when you play your drums?

I'd have to say my mood is pretty consistent while playing. Since I go into Bat Senses on high alert onstage, this helps to make my mood consistent. I try to become an open vessel. You can't do that if you are bogged down with everyday troubles and conscious thought. Onstage is the time to let all of that go and clear your mind so you can hear things uncolored by your own moods and perceptions. Yea, when I'm playing drums, in my head, the weather is beautiful.

You guys are missing the point. When you play and everything clicks, the rest of the world goes away. IT DOESN'T EXIST! Rock, jazz, classical, it doesn't matter. Kits don't matter. Equipment doesn't matter. When you loose yourself in music, nothing else matters for that period of time. That's why music is the universal language and "soothes the savage beast".

I fully agree. Drums are excellent to manage and drain the anger...For someone else might be love...Only heaven knows!

That's why music is the universal language and "soothes the savage beast".

EPdrumming.jpg

Zen-like. Rolling and flowing and listening attentively.

When I'm playing death/thrash metal I get rid of my anger. It drains me and I sweat a lot more. When I'm playing more rock type stuff I relax more and enjoy it, I actually smile hahaha

Back