Your least played snare(s)

I know it... I think being cooped up is starting to have an effect on me.

Last edited:
Inspired by the workhorse snare thread, only in the other direction.

I'm guessing most drummers here have multiple snare drums.

I'm also guessing that you have a snare or two that just doesn't get played as much as your others. Or in Bermuda's case, a few hundred.

So what is it? I'm down to 8 total snare drums. 6 wood, and 2 metal (8 lug) specimens, and I dig them all.

My un-pick would have to be my Pork Pie custom ordered 8 lug black nickel over brass. Nothing wrong with the drum. I have to pick one of them. I simply prefer a wood snare drum. My next pick would be the other PP iron snare.

Maybe we could set up a LFSS...least favorite snare swap. I send you mine, you send me yours. Assuming we both want what the other has.

It could be a win/win.
Pssst. Did you say 'iron' snare? Iron?

Last edited:
A PDP SX Natural Maple w/ Maple Hoops 5.5" x 14".
iu-14.jpeg
It was on clearance at Best Buy (remember when they briefly were carrying musical instruments in some locations?) for $45. For that price, I couldn't pass it up because I thought, "I always wanted a wooden hooped snare, and it's all maple!"
Yeah. It's a fine snare, but it's nothing special. Also, hard to keep in tune, even if I am careful to not hit any rimshots. I always end up with one or two lug screws backing out in the middle of playing it.
I've attempted to trade it for other things, but no one wants it!

What’s wrong with iron?

If I gave the impression that iron wasn't a desirable drum, I apologize. I had never heard of an iron snare prior. I would expect a black cast iron frying pan look, not a brushed aluminum look. Happy accident.

I got your pics up in the other thread.

I don't have a least-played snare. I uphold the pact that I'll own no more than one kit, and thus no more than one snare, at a time. I do have a backup set up hi-hats, but they're identical to my primary set, are brand new, and are still in Zildjan's factory-sealed sleeve. I'm a tidy minimalist to the core and prefer to own as little as possible.

A few months back, I parted with two really well made drums that just didn’t get any use: 1) A Q Drums Gentlemen’s series 7x14 seamless steel. Really well made and it sounded great, but it was SO loud, it was impractical to play in the house, and the mostly small rooms I used to play when gigging. I have almost 30 snares, including many loud ones, but the Q was like nothing I’ve heard. I should add that I own the copper version, which I adore. 2) A Van Kleef 5 (or 5.5) lattice steel drum. This thing was superbly crafted but given the nature of the construction (heavily vented), it was not nearly as versatile as my other VKs. I knew that going in, but the drum would surely work great in certain studio situations calling for an especially phat, dry sound. I just didn’t have any use for it but hopefully the new owner is loving it.

A few months back, I parted with two really well made drums that just didn’t get any use: 1) A Q Drums Gentlemen’s series 7x14 seamless steel. Really well made and it sounded great, but it was SO loud, it was impractical to play in the house, and the mostly small rooms I used to play when gigging. I have almost 30 snares, including many loud ones, but the Q was like nothing I’ve heard. I should add that I own the copper version, which I adore. 2) A Van Kleef 5 (or 5.5) lattice steel drum. This thing was superbly crafted but given the nature of the construction (heavily vented), it was not nearly as versatile as my other VKs.

your point about overly loud snare drums is somewhat similar to my own, in that I had a Keplinger brass drum that was just so painfully loud I sold it. It was so loud I had to alter my technique, which for me is a sure sign something has to change. Overall just way out of balance with the rest of my kit. I have 13 and 14 Ayotte Keplinger steel drums that were biting but this particular brass drum was so loud that it really was only useful for outdoor festivals (eg two overheads and kick mic). sold it and bought a Dunnett much much more refined.

loud isnt good, tone and snare to shell balance is....

What’s wrong with iron? Check out Alan Van Kleef’s cast iron monster:
I'd never heard of it and wouldn't have thought it possible, that's why I asked.
Someone on the Pearl forum joked about using concrete too, but that got me thinking. If they can make racing yachts out of steel mesh reinforced concrete ...

I'd never heard of it and wouldn't have thought it possible, that's why I asked.
Someone on the Pearl forum joked about using concrete too, but that got me thinking. If they can make racing yachts out of steel mesh reinforced concrete ...

Lol, DW made that concrete snare. Clearly a marketing gimmick but it didn’t sound that bad. The grade of iron used in that VK behemoth clearly isn’t the kind used for the rusty fence in the backyard. DW clearly put some effort into the type of concrete mix they use as well. Otherwise, a relatively thin shell Made out of traditional concrete would probably shatter the first time you hit it.

Lol, DW made that concrete snare. Clearly a marketing gimmick but it didn’t sound that bad. The grade of iron used in that VK behemoth clearly isn’t the kind used for the rusty fence in the backyard. DW clearly put some effort into the type of concrete mix they use as well. Otherwise, a relatively thin shell Made out of traditional concrete would probably shatter the first time you hit it.
Crikey! ?

Interesting idea.. I *think* I remember you (Larry) as having a signature Eric Singer Pearl snare drum ;):cool:

For me, similar boat - I have not played the following snares in quite a while:
- Pork Pie 14 x 6.5" BOB
- DW Design Series 14 x 5" maple snare (came stock with my Frequent Flyer kit)
- TAMA SLP Dynamic Bronze 14 x 5.5"
Do you want to sell the Pork pie ? ?.

My least used snare is one I made from a marching snare. It's a Premier 14×8, re wrapped in zebra. Looks good and sounds fat but I rarely use it.

Mine is a 3.5x14 pearl free floater that I have a brass and maple shell for. The only reason I've held on to it is I'd like to find a thick/heavy metal shell for it to make it a 5.5. I've found one place from another DW member, but just haven't ordered it yet.

Surprised to see so many "high-end"snares.

To be fair, it's least play, not not played at all.

Personally, if a drum, or any instrument, isn'tu sed or I have no plans for it, I will let it go.

My most unplayed Snare is my DW Collectors Series Maple Snare.

I have 5 really great Ludwig snares ( Supraphonic, Raw brass phonic, copper phonic, black beauty and a 110th Anniversary Exotic Avodire Maple) and I only bought this snare because Guitar center had it incorrectly priced as a Design series Snare. So couple my 16% off coupon with their mistake and I bought it for 250 bucks brand new.

it’s not that I don’t like it, it’s just that I have 5 drums that I like more. Likely will sell it as it’s functioning more like a coffee table right now.

Do you want to sell the Pork pie ? ?.

My least used snare is one I made from a marching snare. It's a Premier 14×8, re wrapped in zebra. Looks good and sounds fat but I rarely use it.
Sent you a PM, I do have it for sale!

Back