Your least played snare(s)

dale w miller

Silver Member
It would be my 1960's Premier Royal Ace.

I haven't played it in years, simply as the snare wires are mostly broken and no one makes replacements- not even Premier!!!

Would love to have it back in working order. It's mostly sat in a case for nearly ten years.

What the snares look like? I’ve never tried to replace the snares for my Premier since the early 90’s, it’s from the late 80’s, I wonder if it’s similar as they are a bit odd due to the strainer.

AxisDrummer

Tama SLP Vintage Steel 5.5 x14 (NOT the hammered version which Tama replaced this version with.)

This ends up being my extra snare that I bring to gigs in the event my gig snare fails. It's never happened BUT better to have and not need.

I'm not sure why I don't care for it as much....I prefer 6.5"depth is probably one reason. I just prefer my brass snares and acrylic (which ironically enough, two posters mentioned 2 of mine as their least-used snare: the Pork Pie BOB and Pork Pie Pig Lite.)

blinky

Tama Superstar 5" that came with a kit. The kit is good, but the snare is hard to get a good sound from. Edges, heads and everything is good, as far as I know, but still sound plain bad. It lives in its case while I play my trusty Supraphonic.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
My Sonor 14 in Safari Snare but now I'm repurposing to turn it into a bass drum with the advent of 22 in snare. The cosmic balance must be kept so this act could save the universe. If I succeed thin I'll repurpose my crappy Pearl RT POD 12 snare into a bass drum. It takes two to compensate for that big snare.

cbphoto

Gold Member
My 15"x8" Tama Star. I bought it to get a low thud snare sound, which it does well, but that application is limited. Tuned to normal tension, it's the loudest drum I have.

Star-snare.jpg

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
Well, I actually have a drum that's sort of a novelty.

It looks like another Colaiuta sig, which it is, but was made for Vinnie for a specific occasion. To my knowledge it's not really been in prioduction. It's basically a 4160 with a thick coat of white paint + the regular black hoops and Vinnie badge.

It sounds pretty dead. I'm sure I'll find a place for it, but I haven't really done much with it.

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
Tama Superstar 5" that came with a kit. The kit is good, but the snare is hard to get a good sound from. Edges, heads and everything is good, as far as I know, but still sound plain bad. It lives in its case while I play my trusty Supraphonic.
I think mine is similar. Superstar Custom all birch; love the kit, hate the snare.

Benthedrummer

The one snare which I never liked and eventually sold was my Pearl Masters Studio. 14 x 5 1/2 inch.

I eventually NEVER played it.

It was a pig to tune, it sounded like a pig, it was as heavy as a pig and smelled like a pig.

But seriously......it had the harmonics of a pizza box.

Beautiful lugs though.

drumnut87

ive got a collection of snares. the ones that get played the least (and reasons for such are) are:

premier 13x5.5 Cabria APK (detunes easily)

1970s pearl 14 x 6 COB (needs new heads, never got round to buying them)

1960s premier 14x4 COB royal ace (needs a grub screw for the throw, theyre even rarer than the wires!!!)

1970s premier 14x5 aluminium 2000 snare (yet to find a head combo that works for this snare)

Stroman

Platinum Member
Well, I'm down to three snares, so they all get a little time. Probably the least played is the Yamaha Musashi, but I still wouldn't part with it. Right now, I used that "Sounds Like a Drum" gaff tape hack on it, and I have it tuned reallllllly low. It sounds amazing that way! It's not my most commonly used snare sound, but it is there when I need it.

Stroman

Platinum Member
I like listening to 5 inch deep snares...but I don't like playing them as much as a 6" or deeper.
Interesting, Larry. For years I only owned deeper drums, but lately I've really enjoyed playing the 5" deep snare.

Pass.of.E.r.a.

Gold Member
I gotta say, I feel pretty fortunate that I have enough drums to have a "least played" snare.

It's probably my Tama Warlord Bubinga. It sounds phenomenal but I find it's a one trick pony, so if I want a heavy sounding, ultra-articulate, DARK sound then this will beat out anything else, but if I'm looking for something that can be a bit more of a chameleon, either of my supraphonics or my Benny Greb sig. are my drum(s) of choice.

-Jonathan

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Interesting, Larry. For years I only owned deeper drums, but lately I've really enjoyed playing the 5" deep snare.
Maybe I'm just not where you are yet. My tastes change without warning. And I like the sound, like on all the James Brown stuff for example.

Playing it just feels toyish to me, my issue completely.

cbphoto

Gold Member
Maybe we could set up a LFSS...least favorite snare swap. I send you mine, you send me yours. Assuming we both want what the other has.

It could be a win/win.
I'm still waiting for an offer. Whatcha got, Ace?

alparrott

Platinum Member
I'm also down to three snares: My Guru 7x13" walnut, my Ludwig Black Magic 6.5x14", and my Ludwig Standard 5x14" aluminium. The Standard stays in its case the most now, as I find the other two do everything I want beautifully. I think I played it on a couple of jazz gigs last year and a recording in 2018.

cbphoto

Gold Member
14 x 5" Sonor Players snare (poplar shell) is the only one I'd let go.

You don't want that.

But if you did, what do you have?
Tama Star maple 15x8

edit: or Tama SLP Super aluminum. 14x5