Your idea of a good snare sound on a record?

Guz2

In a band's song, I find it very annoying if the snare rings a lot like on the RHCP album Stadium Arcadium, most Lamb Of God and Dream Theater songs and of course, the infamous St. Anger by Metallica. I also hate cardboard-box snares, like on some early Motorhead songs. My idea of a good snare sound is one that you don't notice, therefore it won't grate or get on your nerves. The best snare sound I've heard recently is on the Iron Maiden album The Number Of The Beast. You?

Last edited:
Hmmm.... well for bass, i really really like the sound of billy joel's drummer's bass in New York State of Mind:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNm39BzFP2I

for snare... hmmm

I really like a lot of different sounds....like Godsmacks I stand alone, the snare is godly, with so much "oompf" and power.

In Cliff's of Dover by Eric Johnson, his snare is incredibly poppy and lively, perfect for that song.

Oh and in fool in the rain, ahh man bonzo's snare sound is amazing.

oh and chad smith's snare on the recording of soul to squeeze...uhhhh amazing.

oh and.....

I love Bonzo's snare tone on the outro of Rock and Roll. For me, it's just dry and just wet enough.

Damn Supra's with their great tone!! :D

I also like some of the Alex Van Halen "brown sound" stuff. If I could afford it, I'd invest in one of the new AVH signature drums Ludwig just issued.

John Bonham every time. The tone from the 1970 Albert Hall gig on the DVD is just...edible.

Snare sound on most Steely Dan music. Yeah I know I'm old, but listen to some of this music and all you hear is crisp, sensitive snare sound.

Stewart Copeland. The Police 1979-1986
Chuck E's in love (Steve Gadd)

My idea of a good snare sound is one that fits the tone of the song it's in. I'm not a fan of the 70's Eagles/Steely Dan cardboard-box tone; it doesn't bug me as much in the snare sound as it does when the toms sound like plastic trash cans played on the bottom... Some of my favorite snare sounds are on "The Reality Of My Surroundings" by Fishbone, "Siamese Dream" by Smashing Pumpkins, any Bonham, Copeland... obviously I don't care about whether it rings or how much. On Our Lady Peace's first album, there's some VERY ringy snare sounds, but it fits the mood.

Don Brewer - GFR OR John Densmore - The Doors

All of their kits sound tight, love the snare sound from both, I think Brewer has a slight edge on overall sound.

"One Headlight" by the Wallflowers.
"Hells Bells", "Back in Black" AC/DC
"Gone, Gone, Gone" Miles Davis from Porgy & Bess

I Think If I Had To Pick One Snare Sound It Would Be Abe Cunningham On The Deftones "Around The Fur"

Its A Really Crisp Crack And It Just Cuts Through So Well!

I agree with the Bonham remarks above. The official answer being "any snare that John Bonham hit".
Another favorite is Steve Gorman's snare, especially on the live album with Jimmy Page. What a crack! If anyone out there knows what heads, tuning, etc. were done to accomplish this sound, please pass it along.

I love Bonzo's snare tone on the outro of Rock and Roll. For me, it's just dry and just wet enough.

Damn Supra's with their great tone!! :D

I also like some of the Alex Van Halen "brown sound" stuff. If I could afford it, I'd invest in one of the new AVH signature drums Ludwig just issued.

I believe the "Brown Sound" was a referrence to Eddie Van Halen's guitar tone...not Alex's snare tone. He used to keep his amp and guitar settings a secret.

Actually the 'brown sound' was originally to describe Alex's snare, but it eventually became about EVH's guitar sound. Appropriate for both!

Back