Your honest critique...

Chunkaway

Silver Member
They can paint custom finishes. Check with a dealer.

I'm pretty sure you can also have custom wrap sent from a supplier to Ludwig for application on whatever drum you order, excluding the NeuSonic series. The NeuSonic finish is actually a shell ply.

They can do custom paint jobs? Really? I have never ever heard that. Now I'm really intrigued.

I did know about the wrap- if you buy it and send it to them. The last I had heard there was an upcharge for doing that as well.

RobertM

Platinum Member
They can paint custom finishes. Check with a dealer.

I'm pretty sure you can also have custom wrap sent from a supplier to Ludwig for application on whatever drum you order, excluding the NeuSonic series. The NeuSonic finish is actually a shell ply.
Precision Drum will send wraps to Ludwig for use, if you request it.

RobertM

Platinum Member
Some may not know this, but if the drum size is listed in their product page, it can be ordered (a 16"x12" Starclassic maple bass is MAB1612[M/Z]). The bummer is, even with China production, it's still a "6-month wait" for anything not off the shelf (quotes 'cuz it's never the same duration). In addition, you can order a custom Starclassic kit from the Japanese shop, which has alternative colors available that are not available from the China shop.

From my basic observations, the weak link in any custom order is the drum shop. They wait to place an order to accumulate additional products for a better deal, thus delaying the order or, worse, making an incomplete order. Or they botch the detailed parts list and order chrome hardware instead of black nickel. Stupid stuff that ruins the experience for the buyer.
Can USA customers really order from Tama’s Japan custom shop??

cbphoto

Gold Member
Can USA customers really order from Tama’s Japan custom shop??

“Fact: Japanese drums can still be ordered: Some of you still want the Japanese drums, made in Japan, with 2009 (and earlier) specs. They are totally available! (see page 6 of current price sheet). If you want an entire kit, or an add-on drum for an older kit, and you want the decal badge and wooden grommets, all you have to do is order it.”

The policy has not changed, according to my Tama dealer (which is now sweetwater).

Trigger

Pearl needs to get rid of those tom mounts. Get some ball style ones for christ sake like every other manufacturer.
Mapex looks like it's on life support. They need a rebrand because their current brand image is horrible, they seem to be ruining the saturns everytime they remake them and they have some astonishingly ugly mounts.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Well not getting into any political discussion (screw that crap) but just about drum manufacturing. Factually China has stated they plan to dominate all industries with better and cheaper products - so the likelihood is we will all want made in China drums (because superior and better value) in future. So seems ambitious to make products we would desire and be competitive.
They already can produce a top tier Cancer research paper at a fraction of the cost for same quality in US. You can predict drums will follow suit. Which if they can make better and cheaper in a competitive market to the victor goes the spoils. I wondered if SONOR sees writing on wall and reason so excited about AQ-X line in the recent video. I remember when Japanese kits dissed but now top tier so I think the same will happen and people suddenly see and desire the products.
I just hear lots of dissing of drums and drum heads made in China but I don’t think many that bad. I always play the UT drum heads till they wear and then replace. Those kits made in China probably have more drummers playing them- ggging drummers often buy beater kits.
So as the world turns GetAgrippa (LOL) hereby predicts ( I discoveted if I wear a Tom Terrific funnel as a hat I have Oracle powers) that in the year 2025 all drummers will praise and want drums manufactured by Pearl, Sonor, Tama, Gretsch, etc in China- drum heads too. I’d love to buy a Brooklyn and a SQ2 both together for less than $2000 all already with best heads. ROFL

Cmdr. Ross

Silver Member
I mean no offense to anyone but I think you're getting into toy sizes with 16" kick drums. I just don't see the utility.

I feel this way about 18" kicks too. I've had both 16 & 18-inchers & I just don't understand how they sound good.

I'm not a fan of wraps in general, so I tend to avoid this aspect of kits. But I see why certain styles only being offered on higher end kits can be frustrating.

s1212z

Tama; I've been vocal about their finishes in the past, especially with the Starclassic BW, would love to see a "natural" walnut finish

This would look nicer, not a fan of any of their finishes in this line. But it's only a 4ply formula, 2 walnut inner, 2 birch outside. So an added walnut would make the shell 75% walnut. Plus it probably increases price point to have a nice clean outside ply for a nice natural finish.

someguy01

Almost all products are part of a global supply chain. The exceptions tend to be weapons for obvious security reasons. Beyond that, I'd be inclined to speculate with high plausibility that very few things are one country origin.
When I worked at Harley got inundated with all the "made in America 100%" nonsense I asked, "really? so where is the Bosch factory in America that makes those fuel injectors?" "Where's that factory in Milwaukee that makes all the electronics?" They don't exist. Those parts are outsourced and like many things these days they're assembled in the USA.
All companies are in the business of maximizing profits for their shareholders. Build it where ever you want, makes no difference to me. I only ask that you (company X) don't act like you're saving the world or doing people any favours* when in actuality you're just assuaging the greed of your shareholders and board members.

*coughApplecough

someguy01

As for a critique:
Yamaha: there's a rainbow of colours out there, embrace it on the TC line and I might buy one
DW: check ya ego, until then I'll be a pdp customer
Sonor: so pretty, wayyyyy out of my budget range
Tama: show the folks at Yamaha what colour options looks like
Ludwig: never owned or played one. Like the Neusonic series, same complaint as Yamaha
Pearl: still rock solid, but like the others have noted, the naming of the lines is ridiculous.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
That’s funny I prefer my 16
in kick to my 24 in I have or a 22 in.
Almost all products are part of a global supply chain. The exceptions tend to be weapons for obvious security reasons. Beyond that, I'd be inclined to speculate with high plausibility that very few things are one country origin.
When I worked at Harley got inundated with all the "made in America 100%" nonsense I asked, "really? so where is the Bosch factory in America that makes those fuel injectors?" "Where's that factory in Milwaukee that makes all the electronics?" They don't exist. Those parts are outsourced and like many things these days they're assembled in the USA.
All companies are in the business of maximizing profits for their shareholders. Build it where ever you want, makes no difference to me. I only ask that you (company X) don't act like you're saving the world or doing people any favours* when in actuality you're just assuaging the greed of your shareholders and board members.

*coughApplecough
That’s true but people do put a lot of stake where something is manufactured when really it’s often not a simple answer. I use to live in SC not to far from Gretsch . But it’s not like it’s some impressive building or anything really that special happens there that couldn’t be done anywhere. I guess I’m struggling with myself wanting to spend a decent sum and f money for a new bop kit but my reasoning says I could save a bundle, I’m not gigging-I say to myself why?

someguy01

That’s funny I prefer my 26 in kick to my 24 in I have or a 22 in.

That’s true but people do put a lot of stake where something is manufactured when really it’s often not a simple answer. I use to live in SC not to far from Gretsch . But it’s not like it’s some impressive building or anything really that special happens there that couldn’t be done anywhere. I
SC gets manufacturing because of no unions. The folks at the Boeing plant there make peanuts compared to their peers in Seattle.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Funny I'm now psychoanalyzing why I responded. I'm projecting. I do have angst over buying a bop kit-eyes and ears say GretschRenown, DW Performance, or Canopus Yaiba, but reason says buy a cheap Yammy Stage bop or a Gretsch Catalina or a Mapex Mars bop or some variance of an inexpensive one I've been trying to ignore. Cause dammit they are made in China and a piece of crap ROFL-just kidding.

Anyways back to the question and I apologize for getting off track, again. Which brings up Alpi which is more and more common for all the right and good reasons-logically-but dagnabit my eyes still lust for the real thing. I'm glad many are offering more finishes-it's about time. Bad thing is snooping around the internet you do read horror stories of high end kits from great makers having some quality control brain fart and make a piece of crap that slides by. Or how they made a small change in a popular model and now many seem to hate. I start analyzing why all the change of heart and whatnot.

brushes

My honest critique...

Ludwig: Ditch that horrible NeuSonic name. It's awful, ugly, sounds bad and is a mismatch of german and english "gibberish". Makes me shudder everytime I hear it. Then... stop raising the price tag because of your "history". The 40 percent overnight price-increase for the snares a few years ago was and is unacceptable, especially considering the fact that the hardware and some components that are used are still ... no comment. Stop living in the past and offer good modern drums at reasonable prices. Bonzo is dead!

Pearl: Remove the mess in your lineup. Clean it up. Pearl Export - Pearl Vision - Masters - Masterworks. Nothing else was/is needed in the portfolio. And finally get rid of that tom mounting system. It is incredibly ugly.

Gretsch: Give the Catalina a decent snare. Cutting a snarebed cannot be THAT expensive. And kill off that "that great gretsch-sound" slogan. I cannot stand it anymore, because it is utter bull...

Yamaha: Stop being boring and add more colours to pretty much all of your drumlines. Four satin colours for the Tour Custom? Really? (Hello fingerprints!) And add some retractable spikes to the bassdrumlegs. It cannot be that hard to do it. And ... ditch that new and silly über-pricey Live Custom Hybrid Oak. The old Live Custom was MUCH nicer and much more affordable.

Sonor: Make your hardware more functional. Give your drums a proper name. (SQ AQ AC/DC R2D2 C3P0 doesn't attract me) Make pretty drums already, that sonor logo everywhere is annoying. Only the Vintage Series is pretty. The rest - not so much. SQ1 needs much(!) better colour options. Again: only satin colours? Are you kidding me?

DW: Finetune the look of your lugs, those "big balls" are ugly, clumsy, over 80's. Drums are much to expensive for what they offer.

PDP: Again, lugs are ugly. If you want to go for "boutique", do so properly. Right now, it is a weird mixmatch of "Wanna-Be A&F" and "Joe average drums".

Tama: Clean up that mess you made in your lineup. Go with: Star (Bubinga, Walnut, Maple), Starclassic (Maple, Birch, Walnut), Superstar (Hyperdrive) and bring back the Silverstar, which was better than the Superstar Custom (stupid name ... those drums ain't custom). Give the Imperialstar proper bassdrumhoops. Ditch those ugly "metalworks/woodworks" snares. They scream "cheap" from miles away.

Mapex: Get a logo instead of that "fist". Get rid of that new ugly mounting system. Get some pretty lugs. Get proper names for your drums that don't sound like a cheapo sci-fi soldiermovie. Hell, get a better name than Mapex, which sounds like a sanitary tampon brand.

Did I miss something? Probably, but that's enough for the start.

steverok

Silver Member
I have been contemplating getting a new Ludwig Classic Maple drum set for decades, it seems. It's great that they offer the legacy kits in all those cool vintage wraps, but it would sure help me pull the trigger if they would offer a better variety of stain finishes. That's all I got ...

Vandalay

Tama: Clean up that mess you made in your lineup. Go with: Star (Bubinga, Walnut, Maple), Starclassic (Maple, Birch, Walnut), Superstar (Hyperdrive) and bring back the Silverstar, which was better than the Superstar Custom (stupid name ... those drums ain't custom). Give the Imperialstar proper bassdrumhoops. Ditch those ugly "metalworks/woodworks" snares. They scream "cheap" from miles away.

I agree, Tama is trying to be all things to all drummers much like Pearl & Yamaha. One thing I've always thought, is that they named their lines in reverse. To a non-drummer wouldn't "Imperialstar" sound like its better than just plain "Star?"