Your great sounding tunings for N&C 14x5 solid walnut snare?

Drum Guy

Love the idea of my 2020 Noble & Cooley 14x5 solid walnut snare, looks great but I can't get a tuning out of it that suits/appeals to me well. Y'all have any tunebot settings or top/reso head pitches you like?

I've tried 292/388Hz, and 299/398Hz, doesn't float my boat, and I KNOW this snare is capable of great sounds. Play mostly rock/indie pop/rock.

Using Canopus vintage 20 strand wires, REMO ambassadors and also have tried diplomats on top head - hazy on bottom always.

The snare side should be very tight - from finger tight ( tension rod head just touching the rim) - four half turns . The batter side three half turns from finger right . Snares should not be choking the snare side head , just have them lightly touching .

I have a 14 x 6”Walnut SS and a 5 x 14 Sassafras SS snare and 6 x 14 a horizon snare and the above works great for all three snares .

If you don't know the thickness of the batter head for instance then the numbers don't mean much. Same with the reso.

Because a 2 ply head will require more tension to sing out the same pitch as a single ply 10 mil head.

If you don't know the thickness of the batter head for instance then the numbers don't mean much. Same with the reso.

Because a 2 ply head will require more tension to sing out the same pitch as a single ply 10 mil head.
This is an issue with drum dial & co, but a tunebot measures the frequency of the head, not the tension.

This is an issue with drum dial & co, but a tunebot measures the frequency of the head, not the tension.
Yea you called it, my bad. What I wrote doesn't apply to the tunebot.

Back