Your full name on your bass drum head

Larry

"Uncle Larry"
I just saw some pics of Ian Paice and on an early pic he had a bass drum that said Ian Paice on the reso head. What's your take on that? Is it pretentious, is it neutral, is it cool? Explain yourself please. Would you do it to your bass drum? If not, why? Any other thoughts relating to this are welcomed, including the initials thing.

If I were Mitch Mitchell, you bet!

But I'm not, so I probably wouldn't.

I have thought about using my avatar on my Gretsch kit, though.

mitchraleigh.jpg

Plenty of drummers did it back in the 30’s and 40’s. Not an issue for me if the rest of the band is cool with it.

No offence to the great drummers that do it, but I don't care for it.
I prefer modesty, and understatement. I'd even like to know that there are some people who might say - "hey that drummer...who is he?...damn he's good". then they have to find out. It leaves some mystery no?
You don't see too many other instruments in a band doing that, or often.

No offence to the great drummers that do it, but I don't care for it.
I prefer modesty, and understatement. I'd even like to know that there are some people who might say - "hey that drummer...who is he?...damn he's good". then they have to find out. It leaves some mystery no?
You don't see too many other instruments in a band doing that, or often.

Pretty much sums up my thoughts too. Fine for others.

Always viewed it as being tacky.

These were popular as well with the band name on the head and these tucked to one side.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-04-13 at 20.09.36.png
    Screen Shot 2018-04-13 at 20.09.36.png
    10.8 KB · Views: 506
It smacks of self promotion, which for some unknown reason doesn't sit right with me. I wouldn't say it bothers me if others do it, it's just not for me.

It was a thing back in the big band era.

Of course, many of these guys were leading their own bands. But they also influenced the 60's era guys who did it.

louiebellsonrogers550.jpg

genekrupa55039.jpg

kruparich.jpg

I can see it if you're a hired hand, or the band leader/namesake. Not if you're a band member though.

You'd better be DAMN good if you're going to do that. Can you imagine some mediocre drummer who can't play in time or execute a decent fill getting up on stage with his name in huge letters all over the bass drum(s)? He'd look like a buffoon.

To me, the bass drum head is a piece of act marketing real estate - no different to a poster outside the venue. What's on there makes a statement. These are the messages I take from these options:

1/ Band name / band logo only = I'm here for the band.
2/ Band name + player initials = I'm here for the band, but I also rate myself highly.
3/ Band name + full player name = this band is my gig for tonight, but I'm a significant part of the show.
4/ Full player name as the main graphic = I am the show.

I've always been fond of the drum manufacturer logo without anything else on it. Kind of like seeing a Marshall stack.

I have to admit though, I like that Mitch Mitchell setup. I'd love to get my hands on that Hayman kit. Always wanted one of those.

It's not for me personally, in a band setting it just comes across as self promotion a little too much in a setting you're supposed to be concentrating/supporting the music.

Don't have an issue with it but it's not for me.

Ian Paice is one of the best Jazz Drummers i've heard for a Rock Drummer. Some Era's display Stardom across the Board.so why not i don't find it offensive but then i understand those that think it unnecessary .. I had a skin with something similar to this image for a while. what does that say about me? be nice.

Attachments

• tumblr_lyghay52Nc1qzhnmco1_500.jpg
    tumblr_lyghay52Nc1qzhnmco1_500.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 450
Haven't given it much thought. I don't really think it is pretentious if someone else does it. To each their own.

Personally, I am not a big fan of anything but a band logo. I know it is common, but I don't like the giant drum manufacturer logos. If they were small, I'd keep them, but when they are large, I don't actually use those heads. Actually, right now, I'm not using any reso on the bass drum.

I do thermal film stickers that I print on my laserjet printer. I have the drum maker's name as well as a rotating band decal on my kick. But not my name. I get announced during the set, and that's plenty for me.

You'd better be DAMN good if you're going to do that. Can you imagine some mediocre drummer who can't play in time or execute a decent fill getting up on stage with his name in huge letters all over the bass drum(s)? He'd look like a buffoon.

You just gave me a great idea

Back